Training and Development
Revised March 2, 2011
Table of Contents
.060 Mandated Training
.070 Elective Programs
Kansas State University believes in and is committed to continuous learning for staff and faculty alike. The following policy supports that commitment.
The Division of Human Capital Services, Learning and Development serves as a central focus for the coordination, planning and provision of learning opportunities that support workplace effectiveness.
In support of the university's mission and aims, Human Capital Services, Learning and Development strives to:
- Identify shared training needs and develop strategies to meet them;
- Provide seminars, workshops, and other developmental activities that address those needs;
- Customize training and development activities for requesting departments; and
- Collaborate with other units in the university community as appropriate.
Regular status and probationary employees may participate in Human Capital Services, Learning and Development programs, provided the employee's department approves and enrollment is open. Human Capital Services, Learning and Development sometimes restricts participation based on the intended audience, the instructional format, or the available facility.
Training sessions take place during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). Time spent attending such programs--with approval--is considered paid work time and need not be made up.
Pre-registration for training events is important because a) seating may be limited, b) participant materials must be prepared in advance, and c) interest in the topic can be measured. The registration method for each program appears in the promotional materials. Prior to enrolling, each participant should obtain his or her department's approval if it is required by the department.
New Employee Orientation
- Human Capital Services introduces new employees to Kansas State University. On the job, the supervisor orients each new employee, providing information about job responsibilities and aspects of the workplace. New Employee Orientation shall be completed within 30 days of the original appointment. For additional information, refer to Chapter 4070, "Employee Orientation Program," Policy and Procedure Manual.
- A University Support Staff (USS) employee in a supervisory position must successfully complete supervisory training within six months of the date of appointment or promotion. Pending the approval of the Director of Employee Relations & Engagement, the probationary period can be extended up to twelve months if the training cannot be completed within six. Probationary supervisors are given priority in enrollment, but certified supervisors, lead workers and unclassified faculty or staff are also encouraged to participate in supervisory training.
In addition to the training discussed above, Human Capital Services, Learning and Development coordinates a variety of seminars and workshops at little or no cost to the individual or the department. Topics fall into these general areas:
- Human resource management
- Organizational development
- Professional business practices
- Fiscal and operational topics
- Employee assistance issues
Human Capital Services, Learning and Development uses a variety of resources to market training and development programs:
- Learning and Development web site
- Flyers and/or brochures
- Employee newsletters
- Electronic distribution lists
Whatever the media, each release provides the learning objectives, a course description, any prerequisites, logistical information, and the method of enrollment.
Kansas State University supports continuous learning activities for its employees in the following ways:
- Paid leave to participate in approved training and development events;
- Travel, accommodation, and fees associated with learning activities;
- University-wide workshops, seminars and presentations; and
- Payment of tuition through Tuition Assistance.
Any participant requesting accommodation should contact Human Capital Services, Learning and Development at least five business days before the scheduled event.
Human Capital Services, Learning and Development welcomes suggestions for future programs, comments about past events, or questions about this policy. Please contact the office at 785-532-6277 or email@example.com.