1. K-State home
  2. »Policies
  3. »PPM
  4. »3300
  5. »PPM Chapter 3310: Telecommunications


Questions relating to the information in each chapter of the Policies and Procedures Manual should be directed to the office issuing the chapter.

That information is usually located at the end of each chapter.

For policy update questions, please contact policy@ksu.edu.


Chapter 3310

Revised September 19, 2012

Table of Contents

.010 Mission Statement
.020 General Information
.030 Personal Use of Telephone
.040 Equipment and Service Requests
.050 Cellular Telephones
.060 Services For the Physically Limited
.070 Telephone System Calling Features
.080 Voice Mail
.090 Dialing Instructions
.100 KANS-A-N Calling Cards
.110 KANS-A-N Calling Card Dialing Instructions
.120 Directory Assistance
.130 Conference Calls
.140 Cable TV
.150 Repair Services
.160 Rates for Long Distance/International Rates
.170 Payment for Service
.180 Questions

.010 Mission Statement

The mission of K-State’s Network and Telecommunications Services is to provide a reliable, secure, high-performance infrastructure for computing, networking, and communications in a proactive, collaborative, service-oriented, customer-driven, cost-effective manner in support of the university’s teaching, research and service mission.

.020 General Information

K-State Network & Telecommunications Services is responsible for the University voice and data infrastructure, which includes the purchase of, installation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting. The infrastructure, designed in accordance with industry standards, consists of all inter and intra building network and telecommunications cable, wiring, fiber optic networks, manhole and conduit systems, switching equipment, routers, and all node wiring center patch panels and cabling. Voice includes services for local and long distance and Voice over IP applications. Network & Telecommunications Services provide data communications connectivity to allow access from a terminal, PC or user group or departmental LAN to campus-wide network services and is responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of campus-wide network facilities used to connect units, users or user groups, including facilities such as ISDN, leased data links, ATM, Ethernet, WiFi and the fiber optic backbone network.

Systems providing support services to K-State (e.g. security cameras) that connect to and use the campus network must be approved by Network & Telecommunications Services.

K-State Network & Telecommunications Services serves as University liaison with state and federal regulatory agencies and contractors, and acts as the central point of contact for suppliers of network and telecommunications equipment, goods and services. The Department represents the University in all negotiations or discussions with telecommunications/data providers.

To provide quality voice and data services and to ensure wired and wireless network performance, security and integrity, and minimize the interference between the campus network and other products deployed on campus, extensions of the University network of any kind are prohibited. Installation, engineering, maintenance, and operation of the K-State network, and serving any property owned or leased by the University, are the sole responsibility of Networking & Telecommunications Services. Individual units are prohibited from providing their own voice/data services including Voice over IP application. All voice telephone devices used on the K-State Networking & Telecommunications System will be provided by or approved by Network & Telecommunications Services. Extensions include, but are not limited to, hubs, routers, switches, wireless access points, firewall appliances, etc.

Network & Telecommunications Services may remove or deactivate unknown or unapproved extensions to the campus network infrastructure at anytime.

.030 Personal Use of Telephone

Personal phone calls made on University equipment are to be kept to a minimum. Personal calls requiring a toll charge are the responsibility of the employee. The employee's department is responsible for taking corrective action in the event an employee abuses the personal phone call policy. If an employee needs to make a personal toll call, the call must be made collect, charged to a residential telephone or personal credit card. If a personal toll call is inadvertently charged to the University, the caller is required to reimburse the University for the call.

If necessary, when traveling on official business, employees may make one call (not to exceed 3 minutes) to their home to report their overnight location. Such calls will be considered University business.

Department personnel are responsible for reviewing the monthly telephone toll call records to determine if any personal calls have been made and to collect any amounts due. Documentation is to be made of this review and records maintained showing all personal calls and reimbursements.

.040 Equipment and Service Requests

Departments are responsible for determining the type of telephone service an employee needs to fulfill job requirements. Type of service includes: single-line phone, multiple-line phone, cellular phone, KANS-A-N authorization card, long distance service, etc. All costs related to such services are the responsibility of the department including installation modifications and ongoing fees related to the use of the equipment or services.

All equipment and services (except cellular service and equipment) must be obtained from K-State Network & Telecommunications Services. Non approved equipment and/or services cannot be connected to K-State’s communications network. Any damages caused by non approved equipment or services will be the responsibility of the department causing such damages.

Requests for equipment and telephone services are provided upon receipt of a completed Network & Telecommunications Services Work Order. This can be located and submitted from the Network & Telecommunications Services website. On the right side of the page, click the Submit a Work Order link. After signing in with your eid and password, click Service Catalog and then select an item under Telecom Work orders. You must be authorized by your department in order to submit a work order. Questions on completion of this form should be directed to 2-7000.

.050 Cellular Telephones

The contract for State of Kansas cellular telephones is contract 12344. For additional information contact the purchasing office in the Division of Financial Services.

Refer to PPM 6330, Mobile Devices and Mobile Device Plans for Business Purposes, for guidelines concerning the procurement, use and possession of cellular devices owned by the university.

The use of cellular telephones while operating a state vehicle is strongly discouraged as it is inconsistent with the responsibility of state employees to operate state vehicles in a safe and prudent manner.

.060 Services For The Physically Limited

The Kansas Relay Center may be contacted for assistance: 1-800-766-3777.

.070 Telephone System Calling Features

Information on calling features can be found on the Dialing Instructions page. For additional information contact K-State Network & Telecommunications Services at 2-7000.

.080 Voice Mail

This service allows callers to leave recorded messages and employees to check messages remotely. This can be done by dialing on campus 2-2300 or off campus dial 532-2300 and follow the voice instructions.

Contact your Network & Telecommunications Services Office for additional information at 2-7000.

.090 Dialing Instructions

  • On Campus Dialing – Dial the 5 digit telephone number
  • Local Manhattan calls – 9 + telephone number
  • Long Distance Calls – 9 + 1 + area code + telephone number
  • Calling card calls - Follow your personal calling card instructions
  • Toll free calls – 9 + 1 + toll free number
  • Campus Information – University Operator: 0 or 2-6011
  • Kansas State Polytechnic campus information – 6-2600

.100 KANS-A-N Calling Card

A KANS-A-N Calling Card is required to make long distance calls when away from campus and charge the call back to your department. It identifies the agency and authenticates a caller. These cards may be needed by employees while traveling. Department heads should address their requests for cards to the Network & Telecommunications Services Office by letter.

Please insure that appropriate precautions are taken to prevent misuse of these authorization cards as your department will be charged for all telephone calls placed by using the authorization cards assigned to your department. All lost cards should be reported immediately to the Network & Telecommunications Services Office by letter.

.110 KANS-A-N Calling Card Dialing Instructions

You may place a call at any time to any number in the 50 states or Caribbean Islands, but different procedures apply to different circumstances, as follows.

Calling from a touch tone telephone (24-hours/day)
  1. Dial 1-800-503-2801 and then listen for the prompt.
  2. Enter the 14 digit authorization code and then listen for the prompt.
  3. Enter the 10 digit number you want to call.

    Note: Do not dial 0 or 1 before dialing the area code.
Calling from the US to another country
  1. Dial 1-800-503-2801 and then listen for the prompt.
  2. Enter your authorization number and then listen for the prompt.
  3. Enter 011, the country code, city code and then the telephone number.

    011 alerts the system that you are making an international call. The country code is part of the telephone number.

.120 Directory Assistance

To obtain directory assistance call 1-area code-555-1212. The directory services cost is billed back to the department on the Network & Telecommunications Services statement.

.130 Conference Calls

Network & Telecommunications Services provides audio conferencing services for a minimal charge to university departments. Conference ports are available for a maximum of 68 participants at any one time. To schedule a conference call go to: Scheduling a Conference Call or call 2-7000 for assistance. Confirmation and instructions will be sent after scheduling takes place.

Teleconferencing can be considered as a meeting conducted over phone lines between two or more individuals or groups of people at different locations. The wide range of teleconferencing equipment available today makes conferences possible between both large and small groups with little regard to the problems of widely separated geographic locations. A well planned teleconference is a powerful tool in bringing people together without incurring travel, lodging, and meal expenses.

.140 Cable TV

Wildcat Cable TV is provided by K-State Network & Telecommunications Services and is available for campus buildings and offices. It is also available for students in residence halls and the Jardine housing complex. University departments must complete a work order to obtain service. Submitting a Work Order

.150 Repair Services

To report repairs for telephones, cable TV, ethernet, or jacks please call 2-7111. Repairs should not be reported through the Service Now system.

.160 Rates for Long Distance Service/International Rates

Each call is identified to the department by the department telephone number, or calling card number. The department will be billed for service on the basis of time used per call. Keep your calls short and for official business only. All calls after 30 seconds will be charged whether they are answered or not.

International rates for K-State departments are listed on the NTS International Rates Summary website.

.170 Payment for Services

A statement to each Kansas State University department will be sent each month for the long distance calls, equipment, line charges and, if appropriate, current work order charges.

When sent to the department, each call listed on these statements will be charged to the fund and account the department has predetermined and preauthorized. All calls will be listed under the station number from which the call was placed.

Departments will be responsible for paying for all calls placed from their telephones. Care should be taken to prevent unauthorized and unofficial use of telephones.

Departments may make funding changes by going to the Online Chargeback.  New FIS numbers may be added and charges moved between funding numbers already listed.  Changes may be made until 5:00 pm of the due date listed on the invoice.  If no changes are necessary, departments do not have to submit anything.  After the due date online entry will be closed and the charges will be transferred electronically.

New FIS numbers entered through the Online Chargeback are considered one time changes.  One time funding changes will not carry forward for subsequent months unless requested by a letter addressed to the Chief Information Officer, 125 Foundation Center or an email sent to its@k-state.edu. Changes involving more than one department will require letters or emails from both departments.

If you have questions regarding your charges, please contact billing at 2-7331 or 2-7003.

.180 Questions

Please report communication problems to Network and Telecommunications Services at 532-7000. Questions regarding this policy should be sent to the Chief information Officer (CIO).