1. K-State home
  2. »Policies
  3. »PPM
  4. »6400
  5. »State Owned Vehicle Usage


Questions relating to the information in each chapter of the Policies and Procedures Manual should be directed to the office issuing the chapter.

That information is usually located at the end of each chapter.

For policy update questions, please contact policy@ksu.edu.

State Owned Vehicle Usage

Chapter 6420
Revised August 20, 2015

Table of Contents

.010 Introduction
.020 Use of State Owned or Leased Vehicle
.030 Responsibility for Operation
.040 University Motor Pool Vehicles
.050 Departmental Vehicles
.060 Permanent Assignments of State-Owned or leased Motor Vehicles
.070 Vehicle Travel Records and Expenses
.080 Expenses of Operation of State-Owned or Operated Vehicle
.090 Parking for and Return of State-Owned or Leased Motor Vehicles
.100 Insurance and Accident Reporting
.110 Questions
Related Content
.150 Motor Vehicle Request
.160 Vehicle Use Log (Sample)
.170 Record of Vehicle Expense Log (Sample)

.010 Introduction

This chapter outlines the policies, responsibilities and procedures for the use of all State motor vehicles owned, leased or operated by an agency, officer, or employee of the State when on official state business. The State regulations are defined in State Statutes 75-4601 through 75-4616 and Kansas Administrative Regulations 1-17-1 through 1-17-19

.020 Use of State Owned or Leased Vehicle

State-owned or leased motor vehicles are only to be used for official state business and only operated by a person who has a valid driver's license and who is an officer or employee of Kansas State University. Only employees of the State or a person reasonably engaged in official state business shall be allowed to ride in a state-owned or leased motor vehicle. The use of a 15-passenger van will sometimes be the most effective means of transportation for certain activities and events involving University employees and/or students. The operation and procedures relating to the 15-passenger vans are explained in PPM Chapter 6450, Van Policy on Usage of 15-Passenger Vans, http://www.ksu.edu/policies/ppm/6450.html.

A State-owned or leased motor vehicle is not to be used to commute between the employee's residence and the employee's official work station, except

  1. when the vehicle is marked as a law enforcement vehicle and is used by an employee certified as a law enforcement officer under the provisions of K. S. A. 74-59601 et seq.

  2. when the vehicle is used to commute an employee who is determined by the Secretary of Administration to be required to respond to reoccurring public safety emergencies under specified circumstances that make commuting in a state vehicle cost effective.

  3. when the vehicle is assigned to the employee on a trip basis only and driving the vehicle to the employee's residence will not increase the total one-way trip mileage between the official workstation and the destination by more than 10 miles.

When the state-owned or leased motor vehicle is authorized to be used for travel to an employee's place of residence under paragraph 1 and 2 above, the reasonable distance one-way between the employee's official work station and residence shall not exceed 10 miles. For trip vehicles assigned to a traveler under paragraph 3 above, reasonable distance shall be based on determination that driving the vehicle home will not increase the total one-way trip mileage between the official work station and the destination by more than 10 miles.

This regulation shall not apply to an employee whose residence has been designated as the official work station because over 50 % of the employee's work time involves direct travel from his or her residence; or state owned or leased motor vehicles acquired or assigned for use in the state vanpool program.

.030 Responsibility for Operation

The operator of a state-owned or operated motor vehicle shall be responsible for operating the vehicle in a safe and prudent manner and in accordance with all applicable county, township, city ordinances and state laws pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles. Any fines or penalties arising from the operation of a state-owned or operated motor vehicle in an unlawful manner are the responsibility and obligation of the operator.

Compliance with the provisions of these rules and regulations shall be a condition precedent to the right to operate or continue to operate a state-owned or operated motor vehicle on official state business or to be reimbursed for any expense that may, by law, or hereinafter in these rules and regulations be allowed.

.040 University Motor Pool Vehicles

Kansas State University Division of Facilities operates the University Motor Pool which provides vehicles for lease by University departments for transportation of employees and students. There are over 75 vehicles in the University Motor Pool, consisting of sedans, station wagons, pickups and vans. The shuttle van for services for physically limited is also a part of the University Motor Pool. The Procedure for leasing a University Motor Pool vehicle is explained in PPM Chapter 6430, University Motor Pool, http://www.ksu.edu/policies/ppm/6430.html.

.050 Departmental Vehicles

Any department which has a need for a permanently assigned vehicle is to submit a Motor Vehicle Request form to the Purchasing Office. Each section of the form must provide information in sufficient detail to permit those not familiar with our operations to easily understand our particular uses (Section 2) and needs (Section 3). Use clear, concise statements and a continuation sheet when necessary.

On "trade in" vehicles which have been driven less than 150,000 miles for passenger cars, 130,000 miles for trucks, or equal a 30% replacement, be sure to include a clear description of the vehicle condition in Section 3, an estimate of repair costs needed, and explain why the repairs are not economically feasible. The University Facilities Garage can help with cost estimates for a small fee. If such an explanation is not available, insert other justifiable reasons, such as become costly to maintain.

If requesting a vehicle that will be driven less than 1,250 miles per month, include the reasons for not using a University Motor Pool vehicle in Section 4. Be as specific as possible. Use only valid circumstances such as identifying special vehicle uses requiring specific non-standard equipment which makes it impractical to use the vehicle for general motor pool use. Another example might be a special purpose use, such as for hauling, towing, pick up and delivery, special transportation, etc.

All cars and trucks are to be white in color. Also, K-State has been authorized to place its standard logo on each front door of all of its state owned cars and trucks. University Facilities Garage will provide and install the standard K-State logo decals free. The uniform color and logo are designed to enhance the presence of Kansas State University in the local area and throughout the State.

Upon approval, the department is to follow appropriate University Purchasing Procedures in acquiring the vehicle which include: 1) Purchase from established contracts, 2) Submit a purchase requisition for bidding purposes or, 3) Submit a prior authorization form justifying special situation, e.g. a used vehicle. See PPM Chapter 6310, Purchasing Procedures.

.060 Permanent Assignments of State-Owned or leased Motor Vehicles

A state-owned or leased motor vehicle may be assigned to an employee on a permanent basis if the employee's duties require travel a majority of the time or the employee's duties necessitate a motor vehicle with special equipment, marking, or licensing. The necessity for such special equipment, marking, or licensing shall be approved by the department and the attachment of any special equipment, marking, or licensing will be done at the expense of the using department. Upon retirement of such motor vehicles, the department shall have the equipment removed and all damage repaired and the motor vehicle returned to a clean, sellable condition.

.070 Vehicle Travel Records and Expenses

Each operator of a state owned vehicle is to record on a Vehicle Use Log the destination and the purpose of trips taken that extend beyond the vicinity of the campus and/or work location of the vehicle. The entry should include the beginning and the ending mileage of the trip. The Vehicle Use Log is to be retained in the vehicle and upon completion of each log sheet; the form is to be kept on file in the department. Vicinity use miles do not need to be recorded on the vehicle use log.  Departments may alter the Vehicle Use Log and Record of Vehicle Expense Log to meet their needs, as long as the log contains the basic elements in the samples provided.

Each state vehicle is to have routine service and maintenance. Repairs are to be made when needed to ensure the vehicle is safe to be operated and to extend its useful life. Service, maintenance, repairs, fuel and oil for each vehicle is to be recorded on a Record of Vehicle Expense Log sheet. Appropriate departmental personnel need to periodically review the log sheet of each vehicle to ensure it is being maintained accurately and the expenses are appropriate for the vehicle.

.080 Expenses of Operation of State-Owned or Operated Vehicle

Expenses for supplies, service, maintenance, repair, and storage of state-owned or leased motor vehicles shall be performed or arranged for under the supervision of the department head and pursuant to contracts for such supplies, services, maintenance, repair, and storage entered into by the Director of Purchases. The cost of such supplies, services, maintenance, repair, storage and the facilities therefore for state-owned or leased motor vehicles in a motor pool shall be included as part of the mileage charge made to the user departments. For state-owned or leased motor vehicles not assigned to the University motor pool, the actual cost of such supplies, services, maintenance, repairs, and storage shall be borne by the department incurring the same.

Expenses may be incurred in the operation of state-owned or leased motor vehicles while on official state business. The traveler may make purchases of operation or maintenance items for a state-owned or leased motor vehicle such as gasoline, oil, tire, repairs, and lubrication. Wherever open-end contracts for the discount purchase of gasoline, oil, or services are entered into by the Director of Purchases, the special credit cards issued for such contracts shall be used. Tires shall be purchased under the contract established by the Director of Purchases. Expenses such as charges for ferry, bridges, or toll roads will be allowed. Receipts covering all items of expenditures shall be submitted as permitted and in the manner required by the rules and regulations governing travel expenses.

Emergency repairs or purchases incurred for repairs or purchases of a major nature for state-owned or leased motor vehicle shall not be made without authorization from the department head. A major repair or purchase is defined as one that is $200 to $500. Purchases that exceed $5,000 require University Purchasing Office approval.

Towing charges resulting from failure of University Motor Pool vehicles shall be paid by the University Motor Pool. Towing charges for other state-owned or leased vehicles shall be the responsibility of the department. Towing and service charges incurred through improper parking of the motor vehicle by the operator shall be charged to the operator.

The State of Kansas provides only liability coverage, not comprehensive or collision coverage, for dispatched and permanently assigned vehicles. Per K.A.R. 1-17-7(a):

"...Any damage or loss to a rented or permanently assigned vehicle or loss of equipment and costs related thereto on the vehicle may be chargeable to the department to which the vehicle is rented or permanently assigned. Such recoveries of costs to repair damages or to replace losses of vehicle equipment, excluding ordinary wear and tear, is authorized by the State of Kansas..."

While the University Motor Pool is authorized to charge the department for any damages while the vehicle is rented or permanently assigned, traditionally the University Motor Pool has absorbed damages resulting from vandalism, hail, or damage as a result of mechanical failure. The University Motor Pool does, however, charge the department for damages resulting from their driver's error, thus holding the department responsible for their driver's actions.

.090 Parking for and Return of State-Owned or Leased Motor Vehicle

A state-owned or leased motor vehicle assigned on a trip or daily basis shall be returned to the proper motor pool as soon as the state business for which the vehicle was used is completed. Any state car parked at a driver's domicile shall be kept in a garage or driveway, if available. No expense for parking a state-owned or leased motor vehicle at an employee's domicile shall be allowed or paid. Expenses for parking a motor vehicle at the employee's official station or at a duty post shall be reimbursed to the employee by the agency in accordance with established procedures governing, reporting, and claiming reimbursement for such travel expenses. On official travel, a state vehicle shall be kept in a hotel or motel parking lot if available, however, parking on the streets will be permitted when not in violation of a local ordinance. Valet parking is not an allowable travel expense.

.100 Insurance and Accident Reporting

The insurance and accident reporting for state-owned motor vehicles is explained in PPM Chapter 3040, Insurance for Self-Propelled Vehicles, http://www.ksu.edu/policies/ppm/3040.html.

.110 Questions

Questions relating to vehicles policies and procedures are to be referred to Division of Financial Services, Main Office, at (785) 532-6210.