Issued March 30, 2011, Updated March 7, 2022
Table of Contents
.020 Charitable Causes
.030 Related Policy
The Division of Communications and Marketing, or DCM, is responsible for coordinating the university’s advertising and marketing initiatives. This policy covers the use of university restricted use funds and general use funds.
- The use of general use and restricted use funds is permitted for the purchase of advertising only when authorized by the university President or their designee and as permitted by Kansas Board of Regents policy. The President's designees for this purpose are the Vice President for Communications and Marketing and the Associate Vice President for Communications and Marketing.
- Media purchases and all advertising contracts shall be coordinated through DCM, with the exception of university advertisements for:
- Musical, stage and athletic performances.
- Subjects for research projects.
- Student events paid from student activity fees.
- Agricultural and greenhouse products for sale.
- Used or surplus items for sale.
- Recruitment of personnel, provided that such advertisements conform to all employment law requirements.
- Any use of university marks (as defined in the Commercial Use of University Marks Policy, including without limitation: name, marks or logos) must be approved by DCM.
Advertising to show support for charitable organizations is not an appropriate advertising expense. Neither general use nor restricted use funds should be used in any manner that could be construed as a contribution to a charity or cause not directly associated with the university.
See PPM Chapter 8580 Sales, Solicitation and Advertising Policy for university departments, students and registered student groups for more regulations regarding commercial activity and the posting and distribution of advertising materials on a university campus.
Questions about this policy should be directed to the Vice President of Communications and Marketing at 785-532-2535.