2019 Classy Cat Clinics and Workshops
2019 CLASSY CAT COLLEGE DANCE TEAM WORKSHOPS
Who: All High School and College ladies interested in trying out (now or in the future) for the KSU Classy Cats or any college dance team
What: An afternoon filled with technique, combinations, and helpful hints for college dance team tryouts
When & Where: Saturday April, 6-Location 008 Nichols Hall Kansas State University-10:00 am-1:00 pm
Cost: Each workshop is $20.00 per participant, or $55.00 for all 3 workshops
Workshop Information: CLICK HERE
Online Registration: CLICK HERE
Please send all checks to:
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, KS 66506
Thank you for your interest in the Kansas State University Classy Cats. Classy Cat positions are considered a 1-year position. Each Classy Cat must re-audition each year. We will choose an 18-24 member performance squad.
About Being a Classy Cat
THE PERFORMANCE SQUAD WILL PERFORM AT:
* Football Pre-game
* Football Side-lines
* Football Half-time
* Pep Rallies
* Basketball Games
* Basketball Half-times
* Assigned Events
Any Classy Cat who does not perform in a professional manner &/or does not represent the position and band in a positive light will be removed from the position on a temporary or permanent basis as the situation dictates.
Classy Cats must maintain a professional appearance in costume, hair and make-up to remain congruent with others.
All correspondence and communication must be initiated by the candidate/Classy Cat and not another family member.
All Classy Cats will attend all rehearsals (including Band Camp & summer practices) and performances. As members of the bands, the Classy Cats will perform any time the marching band/basketball band and volleyball band performs unless scheduled otherwise by the Band Director and Classy Cat Coordinator.
All Classy Cats will be required to attend:
- Summer dance camp (June 7-9)
- 3 of the 4 summer practices (June 14-15, June 21-22, June 28-29, August TBD)
- KSUMB Band Camp August 18-25
These are important times when members learn new routines, work on technique and become as one, a "TEAM". Any exception to this requirement will have to be approved by the Classy Cat Coordinator and/or Band Director.
*Marching Band rehearsal is held from 3:30-5:30 pm every Tuesday, Thursday weekly and Friday of home game(or an assigned performance)weekends. Monday from 3:30-5:30 pm, Wednesday from 3:30-5:15 pm, and Tuesday from 7:00 - 8:30 pm rehearsals will be for Classy Cats only. Saturday rehearsal will be held on the mornings or afternoons of home games with report time five hours before game time. Spring Semester rehearsal times will be announced at a later date.
AUDITION WORKSHOP TO LEARN MATERIAL YOU MUST KNOW FOR AUDITIONS:
click HERE for a PDF of the following information:
Auditions: May 4, 2019
K-State Rec Center
11:45 am-12:00 pm: Registration
Dancers must be warmed up and ready to dance by 12:00 pm, when the audition process begins (This means audition ready- full hair and makeup done).
Please bring your own food as you will want to keep up your energy throughout the day. Bring water to stay hydrated. Auditions will be continuous, so you will want to grab a bite to eat when you can.
*Please note: No parents/family members/friends/anyone not auditioning will be allowed into gym the day of auditions. Only those auditioning for the KSU Classy Cats Team 2019-20 will be allowed.
We are looking for dancers who:
- have a great work ethic
- are on time (and that means early) and prepared for the work they are doing: coming to rehearsals, performances, etc ready to work efficiently, with great effort and with a great attitude
- dance full-out and with high performance quality/showmanship at all times (unless otherwise told)
- perform consistently with energy, proper facial expressions, strong technique and solid style
- are team players interested in the overall success of the entire team, not just themselves or certain individuals
- are versatile, pick up material/adjust quickly (including details) and then can turn around and perform that material right away
- can be entertaining to a crowd of 54,000 + people (dancing big with lots of energy and enthusiasm, knowing someone is always watching you, so your job is to always be professional)
- high level dancers who can execute consistently and with great technique/performance quality, skills such as (including, but not limited to):
sharp/precise movements; double and triple pirouettes; high kicks; a variety of leaps and jumps (i.e. grand jetes, saut de chats, leaps in second, switch leaps, tilt jumps, turning leaps/jumps, toe touches, etc); pirouette combinations including fouettes and turns in second; turn combinations including chaines, pique turns, soutenus, etc; style (i.e. body waves, detailed footwork, floorwork); picking up hip-hop style quickly; picking up jazz choreography with style, energy and accented movements; etc
12:00 pm- 4:30 pm: Auditions (Cuts will be made throughout the audition process, but be prepared to stay the full day)
5:00 pm: KSU Classy Cats Team 2019-20 is announced and short meeting
ALL MATERIALS ARE DUE BY April 12, 2019
Black Hot Shorts, Any Color Sports Bra or Performance Half-top, Jazz Shoes, Full Make-Up, No Jewelry (post earrings are acceptable), Performance Hair- Hair Down out of face (can wear pouf, side pouf, front braid, or sides up)
Before auditions, please send the following
(THESE MATERIALS MUST BE IN BY APRIL 12, 2019)
- Two letters of recommendation from a coach, dance instructor, teacher, boss, mentor – Someone that can speak towards your dance experience, work ethic, and personality.
- A Short essay entitled Why I Want to be a Classy Cat- Explain the dynamic you can bring to the team and what factors made you decide to audition to be a Classy Cat
- Recent photo (will not be returned)- At least a 5x7 color photo
All MUST complete the auxiliary registration form prior to auditions. Please send all materials to:
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, KS 66506
A registration fee of $10.00 will be due when you sign up for the auditions. Checks may be payable to KSU Bands. We look forward to your attendance at the auditions, and wish you the best of luck. For questions please call the KSU Band Office (785-532-3816) or Email email@example.com.