Concert Band Clinic
Conductor Session Handouts:
Mr. Keith Bearden: Handout
Mr. Aric Hageman: Handout
Mrs. June Bearden: Handout
We are looking forward to our 2021 Guest Conductors:
- Nelson Penserga, Middle School Band Director from Minneapolis, MN and former Band K-State GA in 1993
- Shelley Axelson McCauley, Director of Bands, Montclair State in Montclair, NJ
- Erin Cole, Conn-Selmer Clinician
- Rebecca Phillips, Director of Bands, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Frank Cosenza, retired Director of Bands, West Geauga High School, Chesterland, OH
- Mark Mueller, Director of Bands, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Watherford, OK
- Dr. Jay Gilbert, Director of Instrumental Music, Doane College, Crete, NE
- Dr. Frank Tracz, Director of Bands, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- Dr. Alex Wimmer, Assistant Director of Bands, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
Click HERE to see conductors from all 27 years of CBC!
After its introduction in the winter of 1994, the K-State Concert Band Clinic has grown to include over 600 students from the Midwest region. All participants experience educational and musical learning from nationally acclaimed guest clinicians. Centered on the K-State campus in Manhattan, the students are offered opportunities to visit the area and gain a sense of the University's atmosphere. The three-day event includes seven large ensembles, percussion ensembles, sectional rehearsals and master classes with the K-State School of Music studio faculty. For the directors, clinician sessions are offered by the honor band directors as well as an opportunity to meet the clinicians at a sponsored luncheon. The weekend concludes with performances by all seven honor bands and their percussion ensembles on the stage of McCain Auditorium on Sunday afternoon. A recording of the performance is given to each band director of the participating schools.
- All students wishing to participate in the K-State Concert Band Clinic must be nominated by their director. Please use the enclosed nomination form to list all nominees in the order of their performance skills, with the strongest player listed first. We appreciate your comments about your students on the nomination form. We will accept a minimum of two students from every school.
- After the nomination deadline, late nominations will be considered on the basis of instrumentation needs at that time.
- Please note that more Clarinets, Bass Clarinets, Double Reeds, Horns, and Tubas are generally needed to balance instrumentation.
- Students selected will be auditioned upon arrival and assigned to one of the seven concert bands.
- Your students may also arrange an appointment to audition for a KSU Music Scholarship on the Saturday of the clinic.
There is a non-refundable TBA registration fee for each student participating in the clinic. A professional recording will be made available for an additional fee. Please DO NOT send any registration fees for the students you nominate on the enclosed form. Student registration fees will be payable after nominees are notified of their selection. ALL NOMINATIONS MUST BE IN OUR HANDS BY THE POSTED DATE. STUDENTS ACCEPTED FOR PARTICIPATION WILL BE NOTIFIED BY Mid December, 2018. Please help us serve your students by submitting the nomination form at your earliest convenience. We are looking forward to an inspiring three days for these young musicians as well as teachers in attendance. Please call if additional information is needed: 785-532-3816.
The following hotel will have rooms reserved under the name of KSU Band Clinic until December. After that date, availability of rooms will not be guaranteed.
Bluemont Hotel 785-473-7091 1212 Bluemont Ave.
Holiday Inn 785-539-7531 1614 Anderson Ave.
Clarion/Four Points Sheraton 785-539-5311 530 Richards
Other hotels in Manhattan are:
Super 8 785-537-8468 200 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Days Inn 785-539-5391 1501 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Motel Six 785-537-1022 510 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Hampton Inn 785-539-5000 501 E. Poyntz
Fairfield Inn 785-539-2400 300 Colorado
Parkwood Inn 785-320-5440 505 South 17th St.
Hilton Garden Inn 785-532-9116 410 South 3rd St.
University Bands is not responsible for making hotel reservations or paying for your rooms. We offer a choice of hotels as a courtesy.
JANUARY 22-24, 2021
JANUARY 21-23, 2022
JANUARY 20-23, 2023