Concert Band Clinic
Thank you to all the students, directors, and parents who attended the 2018 Kansas State University Concert Band Clinic. This year's event was a very special one as it was the 25th anniversary of the event. The clinic featured over 650 students from 80 high schools all across the state of Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma split into six bands, each led by a former Kansas State graduate as conductor and clinician. New this year was a special seventh band led by Dr. Frank Tracz, Director of Bands at Kansas State.
While on campus, the students got to spend three days meeting new people, playing great music, and getting better on their instrument while attending clinics and rehearsals led by the K-State applied faculty, graduate students, and top undergraduates from the K-State band program. This experience culminated in a performance in famed McCain auditorium in front of a large and appreciative audience.
Thank you all so much for your support throughout the past 25 years! We look forward to the next 25 years of this great experience for students.
Make plans now to join us on the K-State campus for Concert Band Clinic on January 25-27, 2019 for the 26th version of this fantastic event!
2019 Concert Band Clinic Selected Students: Click HERE
2019 Concert Band Clinic Registration:
2019 Concert Band Clinic Forms:
- CBC Schedule
- CBC Information Letter
- CBC Student Registration Form (same as the link above)
- CBC Medical Form
- Music Major/Minor Scholarship Interest Form (Seniors Only)
2019 Concert Band Clinic Student Helper Sign Up Final: Click HERE
2019 CBC Guest Conductors:
- Mr. Brent Ghiglione, University of Regina
- Dr. Jay Gilbert, Doane College
- Mrs. Diane Koutsulius, retired band director from Las Vegas, NV
- Mr. Donald Linn, University of Oklahoma
- Dr. Scott Lubaroff, University of Central Florida
- Dr. Anthony Pursell, University of Central Missouri
- Dr. Frank Tracz, Kansas State University
Thank you to our phenomenal 2018 conductors!
- Dr. David Montgomery, Western Michigan University
- Dr. Andy Feyes, University of Akron
- Dr. Gavin Smith, Illinois State University
- Dr. Phil Edelman, University of Maine
- Ms. Megan Hardy, AIS of Ethiopia
- Dr. Dan Haddad, Georgia Southern University
- Dr. Teresa Purcell, Oklahoma Baptist University
- Dr. Frank Tracz, Kansas State University
Click HERE to see conductors from all 25 years of CBC!
After its introduction in the winter of 1994, the K-State Concert Band Clinic has grown to include over 600 students from the Midwest region. All participants experience educational and musical learning from nationally acclaimed guest clinicians. Centered on the K-State campus in Manhattan, the students are offered opportunities to visit the area and gain a sense of the University's atmosphere. The three-day event includes seven large ensembles, percussion ensembles, sectional rehearsals and master classes with the K-State School of Music studio faculty. For the directors, clinician sessions are offered by the honor band directors as well as an opportunity to meet the clinicians at a sponsored luncheon. The weekend concludes with performances by all seven honor bands and their percussion ensembles on the stage of McCain Auditorium on Sunday afternoon. A recording of the performance is given to each band director of the participating schools.
- All students wishing to participate in the K-State Concert Band Clinic must be nominated by their director. Please use the enclosed nomination form to list all nominees in the order of their performance skills, with the strongest player listed first. We appreciate your comments about your students on the nomination form. We will accept a minimum of two students from every school.
- Nomination deadline for CBC 2019 is November 13, 2018, after that date nominations will be considered on the basis of instrumentation needs at that time.
- Please note that more Clarinets, Bass Clarinets, Double Reeds, Horns, and Tubas are generally needed to balance instrumentation.
- Students selected, will be auditioned upon arrival and assigned to one of the seven concert bands.
- Your students may also arrange an appointment to audition for a KSU Music Scholarship on the Saturday of the clinic.
There is a non-refundable TBA registration fee for each student participating in the clinic. A professional recording will be made available for an additional fee. Please DO NOT send any registration fees for the students you nominate on the enclosed form. Student registration fees will be payable after nominees are notified of their selection. ALL NOMINATIONS MUST BE IN OUR HANDS BY THE POSTED DATE. STUDENTS ACCEPTED FOR PARTICIPATION WILL BE NOTIFIED BY Mid December, 2018. Please help us serve your students by submitting the nomination form at your earliest convenience. We are looking forward to an inspiring three days for these young musicians as well as teachers in attendance. Please call if additional information is needed: 785-532-3816.
The following hotel will have rooms reserved under the name of KSU Band Clinic until December. After that date, availability of rooms will not be guaranteed.
Bluemont Hotel 785-473-7091 1212 Bluemont Ave.
Holiday Inn 785-539-7531 1614 Anderson Ave.
Clarion/Four Points Sheraton 785-539-5311 530 Richards
Other hotels in Manhattan are:
Super 8 785-537-8468 200 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Days Inn 785-539-5391 1501 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Motel Six 785-537-1022 510 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Hampton Inn 785-539-5000 501 E. Poyntz
Fairfield Inn 785-539-2400 300 Colorado
Parkwood Inn 785-320-5440 505 South 17th St.
Hilton Garden Inn 785-532-9116 410 South 3rd St.
University Bands is not responsible for making hotel reservations or paying for your rooms. We offer a choice of hotels as a courtesy.
JANUARY 24-26, 2020
JANUARY 22-24, 2021
JANUARY 21-23, 2022
JANUARY 20-23, 2023