Summer Music Camp
America (My Country Tis of Thee) being performed by all 200 2018 Summer Music Campers, their parents, and the 2018 Summer Music Camp Staff.
June 9 - 13, 2019
Register for the 2019 Summer Music Camp - HERE!
- Dorm Registration/check-in will occur at the Derby Dining Hall for resident campers on June 9th at 1:00pm. Once checked-in, resident campers will move into their dorms at West Hall (newly renovated)! Resident campers must check-in at the dorms before going through Camp Registration at McCain 201
- Camp Registration begins at 1:30pm in McCain 201. This is on the Music Department side of McCain Auditorium (enter through the Loading Dock Doors, designated by the “red star” on the attached map). This will be your chance to check-in, get your camp t-shirt, complete medical forms, and make payment if you have not already.
- There will be an All-Camp Meeting on Sunday at 2:45pm in All-Faiths Chapel. Campers should be checked-in by this time. Parents are welcome to attend this meeting.
- Percussionists: You will only need to bring your mallets/mallet bags! We will provide all instruments for you.
- Auditions: Auditions will consist of simple major scales (to check tone and range) and sight-reading. Campers do not have to have any music prepared ahead of time. Auditions will take place right after the All-Camp Meeting at 2:45pm on Sunday.
- Jazz Auditions: Anyone interested in playing one of our two jazz bands are encouraged to audition! These auditions will occur at the same time as the large ensemble auditions (more will be explained at the All Camp Meeting). You will need to bring your jazz instrument with you (secondary instrument, electric guitar, electric guitar amp, electric bass, patch cables, etc…). K-State will not be able to provide electric guitars, electric guitar amps, electric basses, or patch chords.
- We will be having a camp pizza dinner on Sunday after auditions! If your camper has special medical needs or dietary requirements, make sure you have indicated that in your registration or call us at the band office at 785-532-3816 by Friday morning (June 7) so we can make arrangements.
- Because of renovations/construction, Music Campers will be eating at the Kramer Dining Center (which is REALLY nice by way…high end food court nice)! This will mean a lot of walking and punctuality to remain on schedule. Please be prepared for a lot of walking (and remembering that rehearsals involve sitting in air conditioning)!
- The Tuesday, 7:30pm concert with the Manhattan Municipal Band will be at the Larry Norvell Band Shell in City Park (right next to the Wefald Pavilion). Parking is first come, first serve and the address is below:
- 1101 Fremont Street
- Manhattan, KS 66502
- We will be going to the Manhattan City Pool on BOTH Wednesday and Thursday this year! Please plan accordingly with appropriate swimwear, pool towels, sandals, and plenty of sunscreen!
- Do not forget comfortable camp/walking clothes, toiletries, soap, washcloths, and nice concert clothes (Sunday’s best) for Thursday!
- You are welcome to help you child check out of West Hall at 3:30 pm on Thursday June 13th. It is a good idea if you put their luggage in your vehicles at this time. If you cannot be there at 3:30pm to help, that is fine, we will store camper luggage in McCain 105. You may also dine with your child in the Kramer Dining Hall if you wish at 5:00pm but we ask that all campers meet with their Troops at 5:45pm in the Kramer Lobby; no exceptions. Please do not take your child out to dinner so we can keep track of supervision and not worry about late children (parents). Campers will walk to McCain at 5:45pm. You should pick-up your child after the final concert in McCain. The concert should be finished by 8:30pm on Thursday. If your child’s luggage is still stored in McCain 105 after the concert, please do not forget to come back to McCain to pick that up. We ask that you park in the registration parking lot as indicated on the map in order to pick up luggage. We ask that you do not clog up the McCain Circle Drive with traffic.
The 2019 Kansas State University Summer Music Camp will be held on June 9-13th and is open to all band students grades 5 through 12. A typical daily schedule during camp includes a full group rehearsal in the morning, followed by a sectional (small group) rehearsal with instruction by a specialist. Lunch is followed by supervised recreation time at either the K-State Union or the brand new Manhattan City Water Park, another full group rehearsal, then small group instruction. The campers perform with the Manhattan Municipal Band on Tuesday evening and camp culminates with a final performance by the camp ensembles Thursday afternoon.
The guest conductors for the 2019 KSU Music camp will be Dr. Jay Gilbert, Director of Bands at Doane College in Crete, Nebraska, Dr. David Betancourt, Director of Bands at Cerritos College in California, and Dr. Larry Blocher of Troy University (Alabama). The five-day camp exposes students to a variety of ensemble and rehearsal settings, including concert band, small ensembles, and jazz ensembles.
The staff of the Kansas State Music Camp is comprised of the finest musicians and teachers from the area who are chosen for their interest and ability to inspire and teach talented young musicians. College music students complete our staff. A minimum of two staff members reside on each floor of the residence halls with the resident campers, and all staff members supervise student rehearsals throughout each day and evening.
Resident campers will stay in a university residence hall. Cafeteria-style meals are served in the university dining center. Students who choose not to stay in university housing have the option of purchasing a commuter meal card which includes four lunches and four dinners. They may also choose to pay cash for each individual meal.
For more information regarding the Kansas State Music Camp, call (785) 532-3816
Resident Camper ($425.00)
|Non-Resident Camper ($235.00)|
The Summer Music Camp is directed by:
Dr. Frank Tracz, Director of Bands
Dr. Alex Wimmer, Assistant Director of Bands
In addition to their rehearsal and classroom experiences, campers were provided with ample social and recreational activities, including recreation time at the KSU Student Union, campus tours, a concert performance with the Manhattan Municipal Band, and a student talent-show.
After completing online registration, Checks and Medical Forms can be mailed to:
K-State Bands Music Camp
Kansas State University
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, Kansas 66506
For more information, contact:
Department of Music
Kansas State University
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, KS 66506
(785) 532-3817 - fax
2020 - JUNE 14 - 18, 2020
2021 - JUNE 13-17, 2021
2022 - JUNE 12-16, 2022
2023 - JUNE 11-15, 2023