1. K-State home
  2. »Office of the Registrar
  3. »Students
  4. »Name Information FAQs

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar
118 Anderson Hall
919 Mid-Campus Drive North
Manhattan, KS 66506–0114

Main Line: 785-532-6254

Phone Hours:
 Monday, Wednesday through Friday
 8:00-5:00 pm
 9:00-5:00 pm
E-mail: registrar@k-state.edu 


Walk-in Hours:
 Wildcat One Stop
 119 Anderson Hall
 Monday, Wednesday through Friday
 8:00-5:00 pm
 9:00-5:00 pm

Name Information FAQs

What types of names are displayed or used in KSIS?

There are three types of names within KSIS. 

  1. Primary {Legal} Name,
  2. Chosen {Preferred} Name,
  3. Diploma Name

What is a Primary Name?

The Primary Name is a student’s legal name.

What is a Chosen (Preferred) Name?

PPM 3307: Chosen Name Policy

The Chosen Name (listed as the preferred name in KSIS) uses a first name that is different than the student’s legal first name. If a student wishes to be identified by a first name other than the legal first name, a chosen name may be used. Commonly used chosen names include middle names, nicknames, and shortened derivatives of a name, or names that better represent an individual’s gender identity.

What is a Diploma/Degree Name?

The Diploma/Degree Name is the name a student lists at the time of application for graduation. The diploma name may include a middle initial or full middle name. 

Where is each name type used within KSIS?

Below, please find a list of name types names and common places where this information is used.

Name Type

 Common Display Places

Primary {Legal} Name

  • Wildcat ID card
  • Official Transcripts
  • Verifications of Enrollment/Degree
  • Searching in KSIS
  • KSIS Administrative functions

Chosen {Preferred} Name

  • Wildcat ID Card
  • KSIS Student Center
  • KSIS Class Roster
  • KSIS Grade Roster
  • University Email system
  • DARS

Diploma/Degree Name

  • Commencement Program
  • GradPass
  • Diploma


Can I choose my chosen name and/or degree name?

Yes, but the University will not accept a Chosen Name or Degree Name that is used for misrepresentation, or creates confusion with the identity of another person, or violates any University policy, including the Student Code of Conduct.  Persons who designate a Chosen Name or Degree Name that is different from their legal name agree that the designated name is actually used to identify themselves.

The university reserves the right to remove the name if deemed to meet one of the non-acceptance categories listed above.  To report a name that does not appear to comply with these guidelines, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

How do I add/change my name?


Name Type

How to update my name

Primary Name

Chosen (Preferred) Name


Diploma/Degree Name

Once the application has closed for the semester (see the Academic Calendar for dates) you must e-mail ksugraduation@ksu.edu for assistance.

NOTE: Once the end of a semester and grades have posted, the degree conferral process begins and it may be too late to change the name as the degree and diploma may have already been issued.