1. K-State home
  2. »Office of the Provost
  3. »University Handbook
  4. »University Handbook, Section F: Instruction: Academic Procedures

Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President

University Handbook, Section F:
Instruction: Academic Procedures

(July 2006, 5/13/14, 6/13/17, 11/14/17, 2/13/18, 2/22/18, 5/8/18, 6/12/18, 10/9/18, 2/12/19, 5/14/19, 10/8/19, 12/12/19, 5/12/20, 11/10/21, 4/12/22, 5/11/22, 11/8/22, 1/24/23 (effective Fall 2024), 2/14/23, 4/11/23, 3/19/24 revisions)

The Advising System

Resources for Students and Faculty

Student Academic Ethics, Behavior,
and Grievance Procedures


Dropping and Adding Courses; Changing
Colleges; Withdrawing from the University

Retake Policy

Auditing Classes

Textbooks and Supplies



Undergraduate Degree Requirements

Course Accessibility Standards Policy

Graduate Degree Requirements

Honorary Degrees

Posthumous Degrees

Undergraduate Academic Minors

Undergraduate Academic Credit Certificates



The Advising System

F1 Admissions advising and enrollment. The Office of Recruitment and Admissions provides admissions information and counseling for students and parents. Academic colleges and departments provide an advisor for each student. More information is available for undergraduate students at the admissions website; international students; military; and graduate students. Also see the K-State Salina Admissions website.

F2 New student enrollment sessions are scheduled by the Admissions Office. Students who have been admitted are assigned specific days to attend. For other enrollment dates and information, see the Office of Recruitment and Admissions. Also see the K-State Salina Admissions website.

F3 Students are themselves responsible for fulfilling all the requirements of the curriculum in which they are enrolled. All students are assigned to a qualified faculty or unclassified professional member at the beginning of the academic semester to assist in the careful planning of their academic program. Subsequent variances to a student’s program of study may be adopted with the appropriate departmental and college approvals.

F4 The advising program within each college is the direct responsibility of the college dean, although most advising is done at the departmental level. Colleges address student advising needs through a variety of means, such as teaching faculty, primary academic advisors, mentors, and student groups. Advisors are expected to be more than guides through routine scheduling difficulties and signing forms in order to drop and add classes. Advisors are to serve as a direct link between the students and the university and are encouraged to mentor students throughout their educational careers.

F5 Advisors must:

  • Make themselves familiar with the curriculum and courses necessary to meet the program requirements within the college.
  • Become acquainted with the various resources available under Student Life.
  • Maintain and post reasonable office hours during which students may meet with them, as and when required, to discuss any aspect of their scholastic career, especially issues related to the student's progress and plans for subsequent work.
  • Familiarize themselves with administrative, university, and departmental regulations, procedures, and scheduled activities relating to the advising process.

F6 Designated periods of time during the fall and spring are scheduled for students and advisors to meet and discuss program planning. Advising times will depend on the number of advisees and advising system in the appropriate college or department and may result in an increase of an advisor's normal office hours. For more information see Academic Advising. Also see the K-State Salina Academic Advising website.

F7 During the summer, advisors may be assigned on a temporary basis for enrolling students in order that overall course and curricular requirements may be explored. Whether a student is reassigned to a permanent advisor at the beginning of the academic semester will, again, depend on the advisory system prevailing in the student's particular college.

F8 Assignment of classes. In addition to consulting with their advisor, students should be familiar with the current undergraduate and graduate catalogs regarding assignments and curricula. The catalogs are the official source of information and are maintained on the university’s catalog website.

F10 Students cannot receive credit for courses in which they are not registered, and they may not register for or add individual courses retroactively without approval. Students should not attend classes for which they are not properly registered without the permission of the instructor. For more information refer to the Office of the Registrar: Enrollment website.

F11 Registration and assignment to classes take place on specific dates as shown on the academic calendar. No student may add a full-semester course after the seventh calendar day of the semester without the permission of the instructor. Students should enroll during the regularly scheduled registration periods in order to avoid late fees. More registration details, including dates for classes that run less than a full semester, can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

F12 An undergraduate student may not enroll for more than twenty-one (21) credit hours in a semester unless the student is granted permission to do so by the student's academic dean or the dean's representative.

F13 Certain courses for which the learning experience is based primarily on participation and/or attendance may be offered on a Credit/No Credit basis. Courses in research numbered 898 (report), 899 (thesis), and 999 (dissertation) are offered only on a Credit/No Credit basis. Letter grades may not be given for any other such Credit/No Credit courses offered by the university. 

F14 Active-duty military personnel stationed in Kansas must meet the same requirements for undergraduate admission as Kansas high school graduates and Kansas transfer students. 

  • If ACT, Inc., results are not available, students can be admitted but requested to take the ACT at the next available time for use in advising.
  • Transfer students are required to have official copies of their previous college academic work sent directly to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions. See more information for military transfer students.
  • Official copies of high school transcripts are required, but to expedite admissions in cases of emergency, a transcript from the Army 201 file or an unofficial copy will be accepted pending receipt of an official copy to confirm decision.
  • For students who have taken the GED, a copy of those results will replace the high school transcript requirements. 
  • See more information about military benefits.

Resources for Students and Faculty

F20 Educational and Student Services. Faculty and unclassified professionals have opportunities for advisory and professional contact with individual students and student groups. It is important to understand the full range of resources available to students to augment their personal growth and development. See the following for resource and referral information:

F21 The Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students works with faculty, unclassified professionals, and administrative staff to interpret student needs and to provide services and educational opportunities necessary to attract, advise, and retain an active and successful student body. For units and services reporting to the Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students see the One Stop Shop for Student Success. Faculty and unclassified professionals are encouraged to call the Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students, or the director of any of the units if they have questions, special concerns, or wish to discuss any of the programs offered.

Student Academic Ethics, Behavior, and Grievance Procedures

F30 Kansas State University Honor and Integrity System and University Handbook Appendices F,  O, and V.

The policies and procedures of the Honor and Integrity System apply to all full- and part-time students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate courses on-campus, off-campus, online, and distance. The Honor and Integrity System applies to all assignments, examinations, and other course work undertaken by students. For more information see Honor and Integrity System website.

F38 Student Discrimination Complaints. The Policy Prohibiting Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Violence, and Stalking, and Procedure for Reviewing Complaints can be found in the Policy and Procedures Manual and is administered by the Office of Institutional Equity.


F40 Classification of students. A student who is a high school graduate, or who offers fifteen (15) acceptable units of high school work, is classified as a freshman. A student is advanced to a higher classification upon successful university completion of sufficient credit hours as listed below:

Undergraduate Student Classification:

0-29 credit hoursFreshman
30-59 credit hoursSophomore
60-89 credit hoursJunior
90-119 credit hoursSenior
120+ credit hours5th Year Senior

Graduate and Veterinary Medicine Student Classification:

Special1st Year Veterinary Medicine
Special2nd Year Veterinary Medicine
Special 3rd Year Veterinary Medicine
Special 4th Year Veterinary Medicine

F41 Student records. Kansas State University is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended; this law established specific guidelines concerning the release of information and the students’ privileges to inspect and review their own educational records. The Kansas State University FERPA - Student Records Policy can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website. For additional information about student records see Student Confidentiality.

F42 Directory information. See the FERPA - Student Records Policy.

F43 Grades are electronically available to students via the student information system (KSIS).

F44 In the case of a student who is delinquent in an account to the university, including unpaid traffic or parking violations, or about whom official disciplinary action has been taken, the appropriate university official may request that the student's record not be released. The effect of this action is that academic transcripts and diplomas would not be released and future enrollment may be withheld. In order for the action to be rescinded, the hold must be cleared via the student information system (KSIS), indicating that the student has met/satisfied all obligations. For more information about when records may be withheld, see the FERPA - Student Records Policy.

F45 Kansas State University uses enrollment holds to prompt specific action from students related to a narrow range of circumstances. Continued enrollment is both expected and encouraged for all students in compliance with University policy and practices. Restricting enrollment requires justification and review according to this policy and should be used as a path of last resort. Enrollment holds prevent a student from enrolling in a course(s) or from altering enrollment. This policy applies to all undergraduate, graduate, veterinary medicine, and non-degree students.

Only in rare and specific circumstances is an enrollment hold appropriate. Holds prompt students to take action to comply with essential requirements or to receive appropriate guidance. Broadly, enrollment holds may be appropriate to ensure students:

  1. comply with federal or state laws or regulations,
  2. pay a balance due on their student account,
  3. are complying with health, safety, and behavioral expectations,
  4. receive support related to degree progress, or
  5. engage in activities linked to strategic University priorities. {FS 04/12/22}


F50 Class schedule. The head/chair of each department, in consultation with the faculty, is responsible for the preparation of the official schedule of classes and teaching assignments. This class schedule lists all courses to be offered, with hours, rooms, and, if known, instructors for each section. Class schedules are available to the faculty and students prior to each enrollment period. A course not yet approved by the faculty senate may not be listed in the class schedule. Each departmental schedule shall provide courses that are distributed throughout the day and the week so that classroom availability is optimized.

F51 Course Description Key.


No credit toward degree requirements


Lower division undergraduate, designated as freshman-sophomore courses


Upper division undergraduate, designated as junior-senior courses


Upper division undergraduate, primarily for juniors and seniors, with enrollment of less than 50% of master’s students


Graduate and upper division, primarily for graduate level. For master’s students primarily; with enrollment of less than 50% undergraduate students.


Graduate master’s and professional course beyond the undergraduate level


Graduate level, primarily for doctoral students

(Courses numbered 500 may be taken for graduate credit only in a minor field. Courses numbered 600 may be taken as part of a graduate student's major field.)

The course numbering system for Kansas Regents institutions is defined in the Kansas Board of Regents’ Policy and Procedures Manual, Chapter 2, Section A.2.

F52 Class size. It is expected that scheduled classes will be offered. If enrollments are below minimums, classes are subject to cancellation and students enrolled in these classes should be notified. Any classes below the minimum size that are recommended for continuation must be justified by the department head/chair and approved by his/her dean and the provost. The following are the established minimum enrollments:

F53 Classes or sections, under a single instructor, in basic freshman subjects may not be continued when the enrollment is below fifteen (15).

F54 Classes for courses above the basic freshman level, if neither vocational in character nor laboratory courses, should have an enrollment of ten (10) or more in order to be continued.

F55 Laboratory courses or courses that are vocational in character should have an enrollment of seven (7) or more for undergraduate credit or three (3) or more for graduate credit to be continued.

F56 Classes or courses numbered from 500 through 799 may be continued regardless of class size if 50 percent or more of the students enrolled are graduate students, provided the number of graduate students is more than two.

F57 Classes for courses numbered 800 to 999 have no minimum enrollment limit.

F58 Courses scheduled as Individual Instruction, Problems, Research, etc., and taught by appointment are not restricted by a minimum enrollment limit. However, students may not be registered for these to evade minimum class-size provisions.

F59 Maximum class sizes are governed by the requirements of optimizing teaching and learning conditions and frequently by the physical facilities available.

F60 Duration of class. Class and lecture periods normally last 50 or 75 minutes in the regular semester and 60 minutes during the summer term. Longer periods are sometimes provided, particularly when fewer meetings in the week are scheduled. Graduate seminars are commonly scheduled for longer periods, at the discretion of the department. Distance and other courses without standard meeting times require regular and substantive interaction, which may be formally defined for each such course by the instructor. For more information, refer to Implementing the Credit Hour definition section of the curriculum website.

F61 Absence of instructor. An instructor will not be absent without notification unless the situation is an emergency. Arrangements will be made for a substitute or some other procedure when the instructor knows in advance that he/she will be unable to meet the class.


K-State respects its instructors’ need to establish attendance policies for each course and that only through attending class do students receive the fullest educational experience. The K-State attendance policy establishes the following:  

  • Students are expected to attend class meetings as scheduled.
  • Instructors announce their attendance policy at the beginning of the course.
  • Excuses for absence from class are handled between the student and instructor, except when other University offices are involved in the approval process, as explained below.
  • Students are responsible for all missed learning and coursework stemming from any absence.

K-State recognizes that activities outside of the classroom also help students achieve success and other circumstances might make an absence necessary. Students’ University representation, activities and other circumstances may directly conflict with their presence at scheduled class periods.

This policy establishes that certain absences are University Excused Absences.

When a student provides reasonable advance written documentation of the need for a University Excused Absence, in accordance with the provisions below, instructors shall provide the opportunity to either make up or excuse, at the instructor’s discretion, any missed assignments, activities, and/or attendance-specific points that contribute to the course grade. The following sections describe common University Excused Absences and corresponding processes.


Extra-Curricular Activities as a Representative of the University

Students may seek to, or be asked to, participate as a Kansas State University representative in credit or non-credit events scheduled by academic or athletic units of the University. Instructors may require students to provide University documentation verifying the University-scheduled activity and the student’s representation of the University. When these result in a student missing class, that is a University Excused Absence. Some examples of University Excused Absences within this category are:

  • Academic or professional conferences and workshops, including ROTC,
  • Intercollegiate athletic, academic, and judging competitions,
  • Musical, theatrical, dance and other artistic performances, and
  • Presentations or programs given to external audiences.

Please see “ABSENCES EXCUSED AT INSTRUCTOR’S DISCRETION” for extra-curricular activities that are not sponsored by a unit of the University.

Military Service 

Students performing required National Guard or other United States military service obligations qualify for a University Excused Absence when those obligations require the student to miss class. In cases of annual training or active duty for more than two weeks, the student shall coordinate with their instructors, advisor, and the Office of Student Life well in advance of such absences, in close temporal proximity to when the student receives the military orders. For more information, see the Non-Traditional and Veteran Student Services website.

Court Appearances

Students may request a University Excused Absence through the Office of Student Life when the absence is necessary because of a mandated court appearance or other lawfully mandated appearance. The Office of Student Life will evaluate the request and determine whether to approve. Instructors are required to adhere to attendance accommodations that are approved by Office of Student Life.

Disability Reasonable Accommodations

Students may request a University Excused Absence through the Student Access Center when the absence is related to disabilities. The Student Access Center, in accordance with applicable laws, will evaluate the request and determine whether to approve. Instructors are required to adhere to attendance accommodations that are approved by the Student Access Center.

Pregnancy, Childbirth, or Adoption

Students may request a University Excused Absence through the Office of Student Life when the absence is related to pregnancy, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, childbirth, or adoption. The Office of Student Life, in accordance with applicable laws, will evaluate the request and determine whether to approve. Instructors are required to adhere to attendance accommodations for students that are approved by the Office of Student Life. 

Religious Observance

Students may request through the Office of Student Life a University Excused Absence to accommodate their religious observances for a sincerely held religious belief in circumstances where class attendance would interfere with the students’ ability to practice their religion. The Office of Student Life will evaluate the request and determine whether to approve, in accordance with applicable laws. This means that in evaluating the request, the Office of Student Life will balance the attendance requirement’s burden on the student’s practice of sincerely-held religious beliefs against any hardship to the University caused by the student’s absence. Instructors are required to adhere to attendance accommodations that are approved by the Office of Student Life.         


The University may cancel classes due to severe weather and will make this known through inclement weather announcements. Absences resulting from cancelled classes and campus closure are University Excused Absences.

Special Programming and Events

The University may cancel classes due to special programming and events and will make this known through University-wide announcements. Absences resulting from cancelled classes are University Excused Absences.


K-State recognizes that students may miss class for other reasons and that other absences may be in the best interest of students’ academic and professional development. On a case-by-case basis, instructors are encouraged to allow students to make up graded work from an absence.

While not required, students and instructors may also consult the Office of Student Life, Department / Unit Head or Chair, and College Dean’s Office for assistance with absences beyond the student’s control, but that are not University Excused Absences within this policy, such as when an absence results from a personal emergency, non-disability related health issue, or Independent Student Organization (ISO)-related participation.

In the case of a disagreement with the instructor, students are encouraged to contact the Department / Unit Head or Chair, and College Dean’s Office.


A limited number of programs across campus have strict attendance policies to achieve programmatic accreditation. In all such cases, students and faculty shall adhere to the programmatic attendance policies in place in those units.

F63 Class dismissal. Each year Kansas State University schedules and sponsors various convocations, lectures, and similar functions considered to be of significant educational value to students and faculty. The determination of whether or not to dismiss classes to allow students to attend these events is made by the class instructor.

Dropping and Adding Courses; Changing Colleges; Withdrawing from the University

F64.1 During the regular session, if a student wants to drop or add a course or if an instructor recommends a change, the student should confer with an advisor.

F64.2 No student may add a course with seventy (70) or more calendar days (ten (10) or more weeks in length) after the seventh (7th) calendar day of classes without consent of the instructor.

F64.3 An instructor may drop a student from any or all components (e.g., lecture, recitation, lab, etc.) of a course if the student is absent at the beginning of the first class period of any component of the course. Students who cannot be in attendance should arrange prior permission from the instructor in order to avoid being dropped. For purposes of this procedure, enrollment in and payment of fees for a course do not constitute sufficient notification of intent to take a course.

F64.4 The last day for dropping courses with seventy (70) or more calendar days (ten (10) or more weeks in length), without a "W" being recorded is at the thirty-sixth (36) calendar day (typically week six (6)) of the term. After the sixty-eighth (68th) calendar day (typically week eleven (11)) of the term, courses may not be dropped/withdrawn. For courses less than seventy (70) days (ten (10) or more weeks in length), the drop/withdrawal dates are prorated. For more information see Enrollment Resources on the Registrar’s Website.

F64.5 A student may transfer from one college to another with permission from the dean or the dean's representative of the college into which the student proposes to transfer. For more information see the Program Changes website.

F64.6 Students who decide to withdraw from Kansas State University must begin the official withdrawal process at the dean’s office of their college. Note that dropping/withdrawing from all classes requires a university withdrawal. For more information refer to the Office of Financial Aid for guidance on Dropping All Classes or Withdrawing from K-State and the Drops and Withdrawals website under the Office of the Registrar for processes.

F64.7 If a student withdraws during the first thirty-six (36) calendar days of a seventy (70) or more calendar day course (approximately ten (10) or more weeks in length), no mark will be recorded on the student’s transcript. Thereafter, a mark of withdrawn or a “W” is recorded; a course less than seventy (70) calendar days (approximately ten (10) or more weeks in length), is prorated. The deadline for withdrawing is the end of the sixty-eighth (68th) calendar day of the term; for a course less than seventy (70) calendar days (approximately ten (10) or more weeks in length), the withdrawal date is prorated.

Retake Policy


F65.1 Students may retake courses in order to improve the grade. If a course is retaken, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the cumulative grade point average. Retakes can be accomplished only by re-enrolling in and completing a Kansas State University course. Courses originally taken on a letter grade basis may be retaken on an A/Pass/F basis if appropriate, or if originally taken on an A/Pass/F basis may be retaken on a letter grade basis. The retake grade will always be used in the cumulative grade point average computation regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original course remains on the academic record. Although there is no limit to the number of times a course may be retaken, a student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade from calculation of the grade point only once for each course, and only for the first five retaken courses during the student's academic career at K-State. Any grades obtained from retaking courses beyond these limitations will be used in calculating the cumulative grade point average. A retaken course will count only once toward meeting degree requirements.

Any course retaken after completion of a bachelor's degree will not affect the credits or the GPA applied to that degree.


F65.2 If the student received less than 3.000 in a course, the student may retake the course with the approval of the major professor and the supervisory committee. If the course is retaken by the direction of the major professor and the supervisory committee, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average. The retake grade will always be used in computing the grade point average regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original course remains on the academic record. A student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade only once for each course and for a total of two courses in the program of study. An approved program of study must be on file in the Graduate School at the time the retake request is submitted. Retake requests must be made prior to enrolling in the course.

Auditing Classes

F66.1 Auditing is participating in a class regularly without submitting class work and without receiving credit. Permission to audit is granted by the instructor, with the approval of the dean of the college in which the class is offered. Laboratory and activity courses may not be audited. Audits are not recorded on the academic record. Students should not enroll in courses they plan to audit.

F66.2 Any Kansas resident sixty (60) years of age or older upon the presentation of sufficient proof of age shall be permitted to audit courses at state universities on a space available basis with no requirement for payment of tuition and fees required of every student as a condition of enrollment. A person meeting these requirements shall be considered a non-degree seeking student for purposes of K.A.R. Articles 88-29, 29a and 29b. Special academic fees shall be paid by the student. All determinations as to residency, the age of the applicant and the space available for the auditing of courses by such persons shall be made by the state university involved. (For more information, see the Kansas Board of Regents Policy Manual, Chapter II, Section B (1)(c).)

Textbooks and Supplies

F67 Instructors are responsible for indicating the required textbooks and essential supplies for courses they will teach. In the case of multiple sections with several instructors for the same course, the department may make a uniform adoption resulting from the deliberations of all participating instructors. Faculty must respond to requests for textbook information from the organization or individuals, who will post the information online in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act {refer to the Federal Textbook Requirement}. Students have no obligation to purchase books not listed as required.


F70 Semester final examinations are scheduled by the Office of the Registrar based on guidelines provided by the Committee on Academic Policy and Procedures. Once the final examination time for a course is published in the Course Schedule it may be changed only with the concurrence of the Provost and Executive Vice President. Faculty members may assign take-home examinations, projects, papers or other media in lieu of a written final examination. In such instances, the deadline for submittal of the alternative assessment may not be earlier than the end of the scheduled final examination period for the course. Course schedules can be found on the university’s Office of the Registrar’s website.

Except for honors, problems, seminar, reports, research, laboratory practical, language, non-standard courses (less than the full 16-week fall/spring semesters), studio and fine arts performance classes, the last examination (either unit or comprehensive) must be given during the final examination period. No examination (unit or final) may be scheduled seven (7) calendar days prior to the first scheduled day of semester examinations. (FSM 5/13/03)

F71 Faculty members may not give the final examination at a time other than that published in the class schedule. The final examination may be given to an individual student under special circumstances at another time during final examinations. In particular, students who have more than two examinations scheduled in a 24-clock hour period (a 24-hour period starting at any time) and students who have conflicting exam times may petition the instructor(s) of the highest numbered non-group exam course(s) and schedule an alternate time for taking the final examination(s) at some other time during final examinations. If a student is unable to arrange the necessary rescheduling through the instructors involved, then the dean will resolve the overload problem, if all the scheduled examinations are within the same college. If the examinations in question are within the jurisdiction of different colleges, decisions regarding rescheduling shall be made by the Provost and Executive Vice President. (FS 2/12/08, revised)

F72 University-sponsored events, on- and off-campus (such as extracurricular events, social activities, athletic events, and field trips) shall not be scheduled between twenty-four (24) hours before the first scheduled final examination and the end of the last scheduled final examination. In addition, off-campus events shall not be scheduled to prohibit a student from being on campus between twenty-four (24) hours before the first scheduled final examination and the end of the last scheduled final examination.

F73 Exceptions to the scheduling restrictions for university events can be made under the following conditions:

  • Approval for events must be obtained from the Provost and Executive Vice President and President of the Faculty Senate.
  • For events scheduled well in advance, the approval must be obtained at least eighteen (18) weeks in advance.

Consideration may be given to approval of events whose scheduling is not known as long as it is at least eighteen (18) weeks in advance. 

F74 Students who plan to participate in approved events which conflict with final examinations may obtain from the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President a statement certifying their participation in the event. Faculty may choose to make special arrangements for final examinations for students who are involved in such approved events.

F75 Credit for standardized national exams. Any admitted student at Kansas State University is eligible to gain undergraduate credit for prior learning from standardized national exams, which include Advancement Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, and International Baccalaureate (IB). A fee may be charged for such exams. Students who take standardized national exams should have the results sent to the Office of Admissions. For more information see the Office of Recruitment and Admissions – Academic File Completion .

Beginning summer 2017, students who have submitted standardized national exam scores will have a grade of ‘EP’ (exam pass) recorded on the academic record. A grade of ‘EP’ will have no impact on the K-State grade point average. 

F76 Credit by department examinations. Specific exams prepared and administered by KSU academic departments may carry letter grades of A, B, C, or D, or a notation of “credit” as determined by the academic department. Credit may be granted for any course with the consent of the head/chair of the department offering credit for that subject. The credit will be treated as resident credit and will be computed into the student’s K-State grade point average.


The Grading System: Grades and Grade Points

F80 The University uses the following grades:



Grade Point


Excellent work



Good work



Fair work



Poor Work






Honor Code Violation






Credit in courses for which no letter grade is given

(non-graded courses)



Exam Pass of standardized national exams






Incomplete Hold



No credit in courses for which no letter grade is given

(non-graded courses)



Non-reported Hold



No Grade Reported



Grades of B, C, or D in courses taken A/Pass/F courses





F81 Beginning in Spring 2012, all grades of “F” (Fail) and/or “NC” (No Credit) will require a Yes/No statement as to the student’s participation in Academic-related activity {Faculty KSIS Help for guidance}. This statement is required due to federal mandate regarding the issuance of federal financial aid.

Grade changes are submitted directly into the student information system (KSIS). Grade Change Rosters will remain open for five years from the original posting date to submit changes. Online changes to certain grades such as “W” and “XF” will not be allowed, nor to grades related to a completed program of a graduated student. Any changes not accommodated by KSIS must be handled by submitting a Grade Change Memorandum form to the Dean of the College.

F82 Grade points are assigned to determine graduation requirements, academic warning and dismissal levels, and scholastic honors.

F83 The instructor will make an appropriate report on any student who does not complete a course in accordance with these definitions:

  • If a drop in a full-semester course occurs in the first thirty-six (36) calendar days, no grade is reported. The deadline for other courses will be pro-rated based on the course length.
  • If a student drops a full-semester course after the first thirty-six (36) calendar days, but before the start of the eleventh (11) week, a withdrawn (W) is reported. The deadline for other courses will be pro-rated based on course length. See Office of the Registrar’s website for details.
  • After the tenth (10) week of classes, a course may not be dropped/withdrawn.
  • The grade of incomplete (‘I’) is a temporary grade given at the discretion of the faculty upon request of the student. An incomplete grade is appropriate when verifiable circumstances beyond the student’s control prevent completion of course requirements by the grade submission deadline, and the student was engaged and participating in the class prior to the circumstances that prevented completion of course requirements. The grade of incomplete is not to be used to avoid assigning a poor grade that results from unsatisfactory academic work.

In most instances, the requirements for completion of a course are detailed in the original course syllabus. It is in the student’s best interest to confirm in writing with the faculty member the remaining requirements to be completed in order to replace the grade of incomplete. If the faculty member requires anything other than the syllabus requirements or chooses to have a time frame for completion other than the end of the next regular term, the faculty member must provide written notification to the student. A sample notification form is available on the Office of the Registrar’s website. Typically, requiring student participation in the entire course in a subsequent semester without enrolling is not an appropriate means to satisfy requirements for the incomplete.

Incompletes are expected to be finished by the conclusion of the next regular academic term (fall or spring), or the student’s graduation term – whichever is earlier. Any incomplete remaining after the next regular term is reassigned to an ‘F’ or ‘NC’, based on the course grading basis (regardless of student’s enrollment status) and will be computed in the student's GPA, weighted at 0.000 points per credit. In extreme cases, a student may be granted an extension of an incomplete beyond the next regular term. To request such an extension, the student must complete with appropriate signatures the Incomplete Extension Request Form. The incomplete extension form can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Undergraduate research courses, internship courses, theses, dissertations, directed research courses, and other courses with the “IH” grading option are exempt from the one regular term limit for completion.

A student with incompletes (‘I’ or ‘IH’) will only be cleared for graduation if receiving an ‘F’ or ‘NC’ in every incomplete class earned Fall 2018 or later will satisfy the requirements for graduation. Upon approval for graduation, all grades of incomplete (‘I’ or ‘IH’) earned Fall 2018 or later remaining on the record will be changed to grades of ‘F’ or ‘NC’ as applicable.

F85 During the fifth (5th) week of classes, instructors of undergraduate, fourth (4th) and fifth (5th) year APDesign, and concurrent degree students enter Progress Reports, indicating the level of performance and perceived reasons for poor performance in Navigate.

F86 Progress Reports for undergraduate, fourth (4th) and fifth (5th) year APDesign, and concurrent degree students are available for viewing in Navigate.

F87 The instructor reports semester grades to the university registrar. Instructors should leave grade books in their departments when semester grades have been submitted. The head of the department keeps a copy of all grade books/assessment records per the University Records Retention Schedule. {Refer to Coursework Assessment Records – Series ID: 0025-367}

F88 In case of absence from the final examination, no semester grade will be reported until the reason for such absence has been learned. If the student's absence is not excused by the dean, a semester grade will be reported on the basis of zero for the final examination; if the absence is excused, a reasonable time, usually not over one month, is allowed within which the examination may be taken.

F90 Change of grades. An instructor may change a grade by completing the appropriate grade change procedures as directed in the student information system (KSIS). Falsified reports are a violation of the Honor and Integrity System.

F91 A/Pass/F policy. Undergraduate students, except first semester freshmen and students on probation, may enroll in certain courses for which they have the normal prerequisites under the A/Pass/F option. Under the A/Pass/F option, students earning a grade of A in a course will have an A recorded on the transcript for that course; a grade of B, C, or D will be recorded as Pass; a grade of F will be recorded as fail.

F92 Students should be aware that some schools, scholarship committees, and honorary societies do not find work taken on a non-graded basis (Pass) acceptable. Furthermore, many employers do not view non-graded (Pass) course work in a favorable manner. All students, especially those without a declared major, should be very cautious in using the A/Pass/F option.

F93 Each department or division may specify which courses its majors may take under the A/Pass/F option consistent with the university requirements listed below:

  1. Students may enroll under the A/Pass/F option for any free elective course offered under this option. Courses that are specified by name or number, and courses that meet general distribution requirements are not considered free electives. Students should not choose this option for any course related to his or her curriculum.
  2. Students may enroll under the A/Pass/F option for any general distribution requirement offered under this option, provided that the course is in the upper division level (300 and above). General distribution requirements consist of those courses which are listed by areas, for example, three courses in the humanities.
  3. Students may not enroll under the A/Pass/F option in any course that is required by name or number as part of their degree programs. It is the responsibility of students requesting enrollment under the A/Pass/F option to be sure that such an enrollment is valid in their degree program. A course originally completed under the A/Pass/F option may only be converted to a graded basis with the consent of the instructor and academic dean. Undergraduate students may submit Pass hours for graduation requirements up to and not exceeding one-sixth of the total number of hours required for a bachelor's degree. Students may request the A/Pass/F option for eligible courses at the time of enrollment through the third and fourth weeks of each regular semester or during the second week of the summer semester. Deadlines for courses running on other calendars (e.g. intersession) will be pro-rated. Students requesting the use of the A/Pass/F option must obtain their advisor's signature. The decision by a student to use the A/Pass/F option is treated with strict confidentiality.

F100 Academic deficiencies. Undergraduate students are notified of their academic status on the student information system (KSIS) and by the appropriate academic deans from information supplied by the Office of the Registrar. The academic record of each undergraduate is evaluated twice yearly -- at the end of the fall semester and at the end of the spring semester. The student's academic status does not change as a result of work taken in summer term or intersession.

Undergraduate students are placed on academic warning or dismissal according to the following two sections: 

F101 Status of students who earn less than a 1.000 GPA in a given semester. Students who earn less than a 1.000 GPA in any semester are considered to have neglected their academic responsibilities.

F101.1 Any student (freshman or transfer) who earns less than a 1.000 GPA in his or her first semester at Kansas State University will be dismissed.

F101.2  Any continuing student enrolled at Kansas State University not dismissed by university academic standards policies but who earns less than a 1.000 semester GPA will have an academic hold placed on their account pending review by the academic dean of the dean's representative(s). 

F102 Academic warning. Undergraduate students are placed on academic warning or removed from it as follows:

  1. Students who earn less than a 2.000 Kansas State University semester or cumulative GPA, excluding transfer credit, will be placed on academic warning.
  2. Students will be automatically taken off academic warning when the Kansas State University semester and cumulative GPA reaches the required level (2.000) in Spring or Fall end-of-term grade posting.

F103 Academic dismissal. Undergraduate students (excluding students in the College of Veterinary Medicine) are placed on academic dismissal or removed from it as follows:

  1. Credit hours used to determine the appropriate threshold will include a maximum of sixty (60) hours of transfer credit hours accepted, Kansas State University graded credit hours, and miscellaneous credit hours completed. 
  2. Credit hours used in calculating semester and cumulative grade point averages will include only Kansas State University graded credit hours. Grades for courses accepted in transfer from another institution will not be used in the grade point average calculation.
  3. Students with a cumulative GPA of 1.000 or greater will not be dismissed until they have accumulated at least twenty (20) semester credit hours as defined in 1) above. (Exception: A student who earns less than a 1.000 semester GPA in his or her first semester at Kansas State University will be dismissed.)
  4. Students must be on academic warning the semester prior to dismissal. (Exception: A student who earns less than a 1.000 semester GPA in his or her first semester at K-State will be dismissed.)
  5. Students will be academically dismissed if their Kansas State University cumulative GPA is below the following threshold values:

Total hours accumulated*/Kansas State University GPA

















*Defined in Item 1 above

  1. Students who earn a Kansas State University semester GPA, excluding transfer credit, of 2.200 or more on twelve (12) or more graded hours (or the minimum grade point average established by the student's college, if higher) during the semester in question will not be dismissed.
  2. Students who neglect their academic responsibilities may be dismissed at any time on recommendation of the academic dean.
  3. Dismissed students will be readmitted only when approved for reinstatement by the Academic Standards Committee of the college the students are attempting to enter. Normally students must wait at least two (2) semesters before being considered for reinstatement and are on academic warning at the time of readmission.
  4. Students who have been dismissed or have had their registration withheld will receive a letter providing a contact person and information about reinstatement or registration procedures.
  5. In such instances where an undergraduate student is dismissed from the university and is subsequently admitted into a Kansas State University graduate program, graduate program admission supersedes the need for a student to complete the undergraduate reinstatement process. Such students may be admitted to degree-seeking undergraduate programs without the consent of the Academic Standards Committee.

Readmission procedures for graduate students are described in the Graduate Handbook Appendix C.

F104 Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness GPA Policies {FS 11/09/21 - Effective Spring 2022}

Purpose: The Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness Policies enable an undergraduate degree-seeking student to neutralize, in part, the grade impact of prior academic performance. Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness provide for the computation of an alternative GPA and for the use of that GPA in most academic situations. A student may apply only once, and to only one or the other. The process cannot be reversed. A student may not apply for either policy until they are 1) an active student, and 2) meet the enrollment conditions for each individual policy.

Academic Fresh Start is intended to assist a student with a poor academic record to recover, without penalty, and have a fresh start upon readmission to resume their education. 

Conditions for a readmitted student to be eligible to apply for Academic Fresh Start are:

    1. The student was not enrolled in a K-State course for two (2) calendar years prior to readmission (fall, spring, summer or twenty-four (24) months consecutively).
    2. The student must be an undergraduate student seeking their first bachelor’s degree.
    3. The student has not earned a baccalaureate degree from K-State or another institution.
    4. Prior to requesting the Academic Fresh Start, the student must have earned at least 12 credit hours over one or more terms with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.200 or higher since being readmitted to K-State. Academic Fresh Start may be applied to up to five (5) consecutive terms of coursework not to exceed a maximum of sixty (60) consecutive hours of course work. The coursework from these terms is excluded from the university undergraduate cumulative GPA calculation.
    5. The choice of the starting point is designated by the student at the time of application for Academic Fresh Start. This starting point will be reviewed and approved by the Academic Standards Committee of the college or its equivalent.

Academic Forgiveness is intended to assist a student who has had poor academic performance due to a documented extenuating circumstance during their time at K-State.

Conditions for a student to be eligible to apply for Academic Forgiveness are:

    1. The student experienced one (1) or more extenuating circumstance, which caused a drastic change to the student's academic performance in one (1) or two (2) terms.
      • Extenuating circumstances are defined as circumstances which are unexpected, significantly disruptive and beyond a student’s control, and which may have affected their academic performance.
    2. The student must be an undergraduate student seeking their first bachelor’s degree.
    3. After the term(s) affected by the extenuating circumstance, the student earned a K-State GPA of 2.200 or higher at the end of the academic term in which the twelfth credit hour was earned.
    4. Grades from up to two (2) consecutive terms may be excluded from the regular cumulative GPA calculation. Summer may be excluded as a consecutive term.
    5. Documentation confirming the extenuating circumstance must accompany the student’s application, to the Academic Standards Committee or its equivalent in the college Dean’s office.

Additional Policy Conditions:

    1. All coursework, grades and cumulative undergraduate GPA will remain on the academic record with a notation on the transcript that the Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness has been granted for each term approved.
    2. The transcript will clearly indicate the starting point of the Academic Fresh Start/Academic Forgiveness as well as the Academic Fresh Start/Academic Forgiveness GPA.
    3. Only K-State coursework is eligible for Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness through this policy.
    4. All credit hours affected by Academic Fresh Start or Academic forgiveness may be used to satisfy degree requirements and earned hours, even though they are not included in the student's cumulative GPA. Specific degree requirements will still apply.
    5. To be eligible for university academic honors, students must complete a minimum of forty-two (42) hours in residence, with at least thirty (30) hours in graded courses after the Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness begins. Other academic policies will not be affected. 
    6. The granting of Academic Fresh Start/Forgiveness does not adjust the GPA, credits attempted, credits completed, and grades earned that are applicable to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for federal financial aid eligibility purposes and does not supersede federal financial aid policies. 
    7. Once a bachelor’s degree is awarded by K-State, any K-State course(s) completed prior to the completion of that degree will not qualify for academic fresh start/forgiveness. Once a student has received their first bachelor's degree, this policy will not apply. 
    8. University-wide academic policies based on a cumulative GPA generally will use the Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness GPA. However, some academic programs are unable to use the Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness GPAs due to accreditation or regulatory compliance reasons. Some programs, such as those granting graduate school admissions or those leading to teacher licensure, may use all grades for the calculation of the GPA.
    9. Academic Fresh Start/Forgiveness policies are K-State only. As such, students should be aware it may not be recognized by other institutions or agencies.

Procedures for applying for Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness:

    1. Students should discuss their desire to pursue Academic Fresh Start/Forgiveness with an academic advisor in their college.
    2. A student applies for Academic Fresh Start GPA or Academic Forgiveness GPA through the Academic Standards Committee or its equivalent in the college in which the student is enrolled.
    3. A student must apply no later than the academic term prior to the one when the degree will be granted. (Students wishing to apply are encouraged to do so as soon as possible after qualifying.)
    4. When applying, the student must indicate the point at which he or she wishes the Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness GPA to begin.
    5. For students who experienced extenuating circumstances and are applying for Academic Forgiveness, the term(s) will be selected in consultation with the Academic Standards Committee of the college or its equivalent.

F110 Scholastic honors.

Graduation Honors

  • Bachelor degree candidates who will have completed a minimum of sixty (60) undergraduate hours at Kansas State University with at least forty-two (42) credit hours in graded undergraduate courses at Kansas State University, are considered for graduation with honors as follows:

Students with a 3.950 or above K-State cumulative grade point average are designated as Summa Cum Laude. 

Students with a 3.850-3.949 K-State cumulative grade point average are designated as Magna Cum Laude. 

Students with a 3.750-3.849 K-State cumulative grade point average are designated as Cum Laude. 

  • Graduation honors for undergraduate students are based on undergraduate coursework. Any concurrent graduate or professional credit earned is excluded from the calculation of bachelor degree graduation honors.
  • Students seeking a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree are eligible to receive graduation honors based on courses completed in the professional program.
  • For the purpose of the commencement ceremony, unofficial graduation honors are recognized for Bachelor degree candidates who possess the required K‐State cumulative grade point average prior to the start of the semester in which they plan to participate in the commencement ceremony, and have completed or are currently enrolled in enough credit hours to satisfy the credit hour requirements.

Semester Honors

  • Students with at least twelve (12) graded hours whose semester grade point average for a given semester is 3.750 or above will be awarded semester honors.
  • Graduate School and Veterinary Medicine students are ineligible for semester honors.

F115 One Credit Hour: the amount of effort required to attain a specific amount of knowledge or skill equivalent to three (3) hours of effort per week for fifteen (15) weeks. Any combination of contact time and effort outside of class is allowed. Common practice is for one (1) academic hour of credit to be composed of a lecture or class to meet for one (1) hour (fifty (50) minutes) per week, with two (2) hours per week of outside assignment and study effort expected each week for fifteen (15) weeks. A laboratory class period equivalent to an academic hour (1) of credit would either meet for one (1) three-hour (3) period each week for fifteen (15) weeks with all effort by the student expected to be completed during the laboratory period; or one (1) two-hour (2) laboratory period with one (1) hour of student effort expected outside the class period, each week for fifteen (15) weeks. Shortened academic sessions (including condensed semesters, intersession classes, or summer classes) and all other modalities (online, distance, etc.) are expected to maintain an equivalent amount of time (contact and outside of class time) as those classes in the fifteen (15)-week semester. It should be noted that the judgment of the amount of academic effort that comprises one (1) hour of credit for any class is ultimately a faculty decision, from the development of the course syllabus to the approval through Faculty Senate. Additional time outside of class may be required for graduate coursework. For further detail please see Course Scheduling in the Department Head’s manual. (addition, FS 2/14/12)

F115.1 One-Half Credit Hour: the amount of effort required to attain a specific amount of knowledge or skill equivalent to 22.5 hours of effort. Any combination of contact time and effort outside of class is allowed. Academic sessions, including full or condensed semesters, intersession classes, summer classes, or other defined periods of time, as well as all other modalities (e.g., online, distance, etc.) are expected to maintain an equivalent amount of time (contact and outside of class time). It should be noted that the judgment of the amount of academic effort that comprises one-half hour of credit for any class is ultimately a faculty decision, from the development of the course syllabus to the approval through Faculty Senate. Additional time outside of class may be required for graduate coursework.

Undergraduate Degree Requirements

F120 College and program requirements can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog. The K-State Core requirements follow the KBOR General Education Framework passed by the board on June 15, 2022.

Beginning in the Fall 2024 semester, The K-State Core serves as the general education program at Kansas State University and follows the KBOR framework with courses at the 100- and 200-level, and all Systemwide Transfer Courses. The six credit hours of “Institutionally Designated Area” will be comprised of elective credit hours. Courses that fulfill the K-State Core requirement are listed in the Undergraduate Catalog.

F121 Requirements for a bachelor’s degree from K-State are listed below. Colleges and departments may have requirements that exceed these minimums. Students should refer to the Degree Progress Audit (DARS) to review degree requirements. To graduate, a student must complete an approved curriculum and the degree audit must indicate all requirements have been completed. Courses applied to degree requirements must be completed no later than the term in which a degree is awarded. Under special conditions, substitutions to the curriculum are allowed if approved by the department head and dean. Please consult the individual departments for details. Professional curricula may impose additional degree requirements. {FS 02/14/23 - Effective Fall 2023}

Minimum Credit Requirement:

A bachelor’s degree requires a minimum of one hundred and twenty (120) semester hours; in an approved program; however, individual programs in some colleges and departments may exceed the minimum.

Minimum Grade Requirement:

There are two-grade point averages a student must meet to be awarded a degree

  1. at least 2.000 on Kansas State University graded courses that are applied toward the degree and,
  2. at least 2.000 cumulative GPA for all graded courses taken at Kansas State University

At least eighty-three percent (83%) of the credit hours taken at Kansas State University and applied toward a degree must be graded hours (e.g., one hundred (100) credit hours of one hundred and twenty (120) credit hour bachelor's degree program). Required courses of an internship or practicum nature or credit by examination, offered on a Credit/No Credit basis only, are to be considered as graded hours in implementing this requirement.

Upper-Division Credit Requirement:

A minimum of forty-five (45) credit hours must be at a course level of 300 or above to meet the upper division course requirements established by KBOR {KBOR Policy Manual, Chapter III, Section A(9)(b)}.

In-Residence Requirement:

Each student must complete at least twenty-five percent (25%) or a minimum of thirty (30) credits in-residence at Kansas State University to be considered for a degree {per HLC requirements}.

Resident work includes all K-State scheduled course instruction (e.g., course component types), given by the university faculty.

Senior Year Requirement:

Of the last thirty (30) semester credits earned (course level 300 or higher), at least fifteen (15) must be completed at K-State. Credits earned in an authorized education abroad program and designated or approved domestic exchange programs or agreements may apply to this requirement. Courses in the student’s major field shall be taken at Kansas State University unless an exception is granted by the major department on the petition of the student. That department shall have jurisdiction over the acceptance of major courses by transfer for fulfillment of the major requirement.

Exceptions to the senior year requirement may be made by the Dean of the college and the department head in the student’s major program with submission to the Office of the Registrar and Provost Designee for approval. Exceptions may be requested if the student has completed a total of three years of work acceptable to Kansas State University.

University Requirements:

Up to half of the credits required for a normal four-year degree may be completed at an accredited two-year college (e.g., sixty (60) transfer credits for a one hundred and twenty (120)-credit hour bachelor’s degree program). Colleges/Departments may have transfer agreements in place that would allow for an exception to exceed the sixty (60) semester credit hours in transfer towards a baccalaureate degree {KBOR Policy Manual, Chapter III, Section A(9)(ii)(2)(d)}.

No more than twenty-five percent (25%) of credit hours applied to degree requirements may be from Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) sources. CPL may include standardized national exams, recognition of military or workforce training, or portfolio assessment (e.g., thirty (30) credits of CPL for a one hundred and twenty (120)-credit hour bachelor’s degree program) {per HLC requirements}.


A student must meet all university academic standing requirements as established in section F100-103 to receive a K-State degree. Accordingly, any student who is subject to dismissal or suspension for scholastic or disciplinary reasons will not graduate until the conditions of the dismissal or suspension have been satisfied.

The individual whose education has been interrupted may have to meet new degree requirements if a change has occurred in the approved curriculum.

Intent to Graduate:

Students must file their intent to graduate via the application for graduation in KSIS. The deadline for students to declare their intent to graduate must be submitted no later than the fourth (4th) week of the semester (first two (2) weeks for summer semester) in which the degree is to be completed. Students are prompted to verify their curriculum, their correct graduation term, and to give their desired name (within reason) for the commencement program as well as their diploma.

Graduation Application for Completion of a Major, Minor or Certificate:

Graduation applications reflect the most updated version of the Degree Progress Audit (DARS), which is used for final graduation certification. Graduation applications are reviewed electronically within KSIS. Students seeking to graduate should review their Degree Progress Audit (DARS) in KSIS to ensure all requirements are in progress or complete. Review of Graduation applications showing an approval status must be completed by the degree conferral deadline of the student’s graduation term.

Off-Campus Completion of Degree Requirements:

It is the student’s responsibility to be certain that transcripts from all transfer institutions are on file and have been articulated/reflected in the Degree Progress Audit (DARS) within the  semester the degree requirements will be completed and no later than the deadline date designated on the Academic Calendar.

Commencement (Graduation Ceremonies):

Students may graduate in the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. K-State celebrates Commencement Ceremonies twice a year, at the end of each Fall and Spring semester. Candidates for spring graduation should attend the spring commencement exercises in May. Fall graduates are asked to participate in the fall commencement exercises in December. Approved summer degree candidates may participate in the fall or spring exercises.

Graduation (degree awarding/conferral) occurs when students complete all degree requirements, and this completion is confirmed and certified. The degree is then officially posted to a student's academic record (official transcript).

Commencement is a formal ceremony celebrating the graduation of K-State students twice a year. When students participate in Commencement, they are considered candidates for graduation but attendance at the ceremony does not certify that a student has officially graduated from K-State.

F122 Modification of Graduating Requirements for Students with Disabilities. A student may request a program modification if he or she can document a disability that directly impairs his/her ability to meet the normal requirements of the program. Students must contact the Student Access Center or the K-State Salina Student Accommodation Services unit for assistance. {FS 02/14/23}

F123 Dual degrees. A dual degree is two unique degree types that a student has elected to pursue at one time (e.g., BS in Mathematics and a BSBA in Management). The requirements for both degrees must be satisfied. {ARN Manual, pg. 49 – FS 05/12/92}

F123.1 Double Major. A double major is two majors in the same degree type being pursued by a student at one time (e.g., BS in Mathematics and BS in Geography). The requirements for both degrees must be satisfied. {ARN Manual, pg. 49}

F123.2 Secondary Major. A secondary major is typically an Interdisciplinary major which must be completed along with a primary major course of study, such as a secondary field of specialization, an interdisciplinary program of study which is completed in addition to a major. Secondary majors cannot be earned outside of completion of the primary major. {ARN Manual, pg. 14}

Course Accessibility Standards Policy (FS 6/12/07, addition of policy)

F125 Scope. Federal law requires that Universities provide equal educational opportunities for all students, including students with disabilities. This Course Accessibility Standards Policy provides guidance for ensuring that all course delivery methods utilizing technology (eLearning) are accessible to student with disabilities.

F125.1 Background. Many of the courses offered at Kansas State University use technology to enhance course delivery, both on-campus and through distance learning (referred to as eLearning). The United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has stated that eLearning must be designed and delivered in such a way that all students, including students with disabilities, have equal access to course content.

In 2001, Kansas State University developed a memorandum detailing the University's responsibility for creating accessible administrative, college, and department web pages. Accessible templates were developed for this purpose. Since 2001 the use of websites, web-based course management systems, and various technologies to routinely provide instruction to students has grown exponentially. Therefore, the Course Accessibility Standards Policy extends beyond the 2001 Web Accessibility Memorandum to include distance education and instructional websites as well as all eLearning course content.

F125.2 Legal Requirements. Collectively, State and Federal regulations require equal access to resources and materials for students who are otherwise qualified to enroll in the course. Furthermore, accessibility must be built into eLearning; OCR interpretation states that a University violates its obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act when it responds only on an ad-hoc basis to individual requests for accommodation. Finally, this instruction must result in a course-taking experience that is similar to that of students without disabilities.

Applicable legislation includes:

  • Federal Law:
    • The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability.
    • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which ensures that federally funded institutions such as Universities provide equal access to all services and programs, with or without accommodations.
    • Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1998, which requires electronic and information technology to be accessible to persons with disabilities.
  • State of Kansas Information Technology Policy 1210 – State of Kansas Web Accessibility Requirements. This document is based on the Priority levels developed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for developing accessible web sites.
  • Kansas State University Memorandum outlining webpage accessibility requirements for administrative websites.

Meeting Course Accessibility Standards for eLearning is best accomplished through the application of the principles of Universal Design to course development. Universal Design refers to the design of products, environments, and services to be “usable by all people, to the greatest extent possible, without the need for specialized design.” Much like curb cuts benefit more than mobility-impaired persons, electronic curb cuts provide benefits for the larger student population as well.

Often, providing a single accommodation (such as a transcript for an audio course segment) provides benefits to many different persons with different disabilities and/or learning styles. The resulting Universal Access is effective for all students and is the best way for eLearning at Kansas State University to meet the needs of students with disabilities and to meet the demands of current and future technology.

F125.3 Policy. This policy applies to all faculty and staff developing courses or course management systems for K-State or affiliates. All course delivery mechanisms and course content must be made accessible. This policy refers to new courses, new materials added to existing courses, and “retrofitting” of existing courses. In addition, software that is purchased and utilized in a course must also be accessible. Making courses accessible may include such actions as saving documents in a universal format such as Microsoft Word, providing a written transcript of audio content, or embedding a text description of graphics inserted into a PowerPoint slide or website. By making courses accessible to students who are sight or hearing impaired, you are also making the same course accessible to students with a wide range of other disabilities.

F125.4 Responsibilities. All University administrators, faculty, and staff who are involved in course development and delivery share the obligation to ensure that eLearning is accessible to students with disabilities. The Dean of each College will be asked to review for compliance with this policy any new course approval or course alteration. The Office of the Provost will make reasonable efforts to provide professional development, training, and technical support for faculty and staff involved in the creation of accessible eLearning.

F125.5 Implementation. Faculty and staff who need technical help implementing this policy may contact Information Technology Assistance Center or Student Access Center.

Graduate Degree Requirements

F130 The graduate faculty's general requirements for graduate degrees are contained in the Graduate Handbook. Additional degree requirements, specific to each discipline, are set by the faculty in each program and are available in published form.

Honorary Degrees

F140 Regents' institutions may award honorary degrees upon approval by the Kansas Board of Regents {Board of Regents Policy and Procedures Manual, Chapter III, Section 9b(6)}.

Posthumous Degrees and 'In Memoriam' Recognition {FS 11/08/22}

F150 Posthumous Degree.

  • Kansas State University seeks to extend sympathy and compassion to families of deceased students nearing completion of their degrees, to recognize the academic achievement of students who would have fulfilled the requirements of the degree, as well as to honor the memory of deceased students whose degrees were in process. These actions must also balance the need to uphold academic and institutional integrity in the awarding of degrees. Students who die while actively pursuing a degree are eligible for a posthumous degree if they are in the last year of their program.
    • The last year of the program includes but is not limited to undergraduate students in their senior/5th year standing; graduate students within 1-2 semesters of completion; or students with a minimum threshold within 75% of degree completion.
    • Due to the close cohort nature of the DVM professional program, College of Veterinary Medicine students who die while actively pursuing a degree in any year of the program, and who were in good academic standing at the time of death, are eligible for consideration for award of a posthumous DVM degree.
  • In good standing, both academically (e.g., a minimum 2.000 cumulative GPA for undergraduate students and a minimum 3.000 cumulative GPA for graduate students), and with respect to conduct (e.g., academic integrity violations, student conduct violations, etc.).
  • For doctoral degrees, in addition to the requirements above, successfully completed a preliminary exam, proposal defense, and/or a practicum requirement (if applicable).

Recommendation for the award of an undergraduate degree shall be approved by the department head/chair, school/college dean, and then submitted for consideration/approval by the appropriate Academic Affairs Committees and Faculty Senate.

Recommendation for the award of a graduate degree shall be approved by the school/college dean and Graduate School and then forwarded to Faculty Senate.

Recommendation for award of a posthumous DVM degree shall be approved by the CVM Dean and majority vote of the CVM faculty and then forwarded to Faculty Senate. 

If approved, the posthumous degree will be eligible for recognition at a commencement ceremony and will be noted on the transcript and diploma as a posthumous degree.

Exceptions to the eligibility list above may include but are not limited to 1) an interruption in the student’s continuous enrollment or withdrawal due to injury, illness, and/or service in the armed forces, or 2) on university approved leave (i.e., Undergraduate Planned Leave, Graduate Leave: Graduate Handbook, Chapter 1; DVM Student/Faculty Handbook; etc.).

F151 'In Memoriam' Recognition

An ‘In Memoriam’ recognition is issued to acknowledge a deceased student’s progress toward the degree and to honor the student’s memory as a member of the K-State community. Any student who was enrolled at the University at the time of their death and who does not meet the requirements necessary to be awarded a posthumous degree may be awarded an in-memoriam recognition.

To be considered, a student must have been enrolled in a program at the time of their death and be deemed to have been in good standing or warning, both academically and with respect to conduct. The university may choose to give this award to other deceased previously enrolled students. A recommendation for recognition may be initiated by a friend or family member upon confirmation of a student's passing. The request must be sent to the Office of the Registrar for review and approval.

‘In Memoriam’ recognitions for students are not included in the official count of degrees and shall not be considered a conferral of a degree, and students are not typically recognized at a commencement ceremony.

Undergraduate Academic Minors

F160 Undergraduate minors provide students an opportunity to emphasize study in an area outside their major curriculum. A minor program will require completion of at least fifteen (15) designated credit hours of required course work outside of the major. Courses forming a minor may be used to satisfy the general requirements of a major curriculum, including free electives. Students who have declared an approved minor and completed all requirements for it will receive official recognition for that emphasis after the degree is posted.

Kansas State University or non-Kansas State University graduates can complete minors after their baccalaureate or advanced degree (i.e., a Post-Baccalaureate Minor) has been awarded by seeking admission as an undergraduate non-degree student. Admitted students to a Post-Baccalaureate Minor should understand they will be reported as enrolled at K-State but are not reported to national or federal compliance reporting areas (e.g., National Student Clearinghouse) as pursuing a ‘post-baccalaureate’ minor or ‘standalone’ minor nor are they eligible for federal financial aid.

A proposal for an undergraduate Post-Baccalaureate minor needs to be submitted for approval through the normal course and curriculum routing procedures. In general, such programs should demonstrate rationale and specify how applicants will be screened for adequacy of past academic preparation. No more than six hours of transfer courses may be used for the minor.

View the current policy regarding course and curriculum changes. (FSM 4/13/93, FSM 3/09/10, FS 04/12/22)

Undergraduate Academic Credit Certificates

F170 A Kansas State University Undergraduate Academic Credit Certificate emphasizes a focused specialty area of study. The program must increase the knowledge and skills of individuals. The program must be validated by a specified assessment process.

Undergraduate academic credit certificates require approval through the Faculty Senate curriculum approval process. The department and college that propose an undergraduate academic credit certificate program must provide for approval the following information:

  1. Purpose (clear and appropriate educational objective)
  2. Evidence of demonstrated need or demand for proposed certificate
  3. Requirements
  4. Desired outcomes
  5. Assessment procedures
  6. Estimated budget and staff required   


  • Certificates will require no fewer than twelve (12) credit hours. 
  • At least twenty-five percent (25%) of total credit hours required for the certificate must be from Kansas State University.
  • Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 is required on courses applied to a certificate. 

A higher cumulative grade point average or minimum course grades of “C” or higher may be specified.

  • Apart from "credit for prior learning," all courses applied to the certificate must have letter grades.

The department and college should also indicate whether or not the certificate can be obtained only as a credential on its own or only in combination with a degreed-credential. If a specific degree program is required, it should be specified.

All certificate programs obtained as a credential on their own will share the following admission process and criteria unless additional/higher criteria are specified by the department and college.


Students seeking a certificate program obtained as a credential on its own must apply for admission as a non-degree, certificate-seeking student and submit the admission application, application fee, and transcripts. Applicants must provide documentation of high school graduation or completion of high school equivalency and, if college courses have been attempted, official transcripts demonstrating a cumulative GPA of 2.000 or higher for all post-secondary coursework. {FS 04/12/22}