October 2, 2023
Open enrollment and plan year 2024 insurance changes
Open enrollment for your 2024 benefits elections is underway and runs through Oct. 31.
As in recent years, this year is an active open enrollment, meaning you will need to re-enroll for 2024 benefits even if you do not intend to change coverages. To complete enrollment, access the Membership Administration Portal using your K-State Single Sign On credentials. Please be sure to click "Save and Submit" at the end of the online enrollment process, and keep a copy of your pending elections statement. Employees who are actively enrolled in health coverage and do not complete the enrollment process for plan year 2024 will be defaulted to Plan N with a health reimbursement account. The State Employee Health Plan has published the 2024 Enrollment Guide which includes detailed information on the available benefits.
There will be expanded opportunities to engage with the benefits team as well as state and K-State benefits vendors. The in-person 2023 Benefits Fair will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 4, in the Grand Ballroom at the K-State Student Union. It will feature a variety of vendors, presentations and enhanced services from Lafene Health Center — appointments are required. Virtual opportunities are also offered on Tuesday, Oct. 10. View full details and registration information.
State Employee Health Plan changes for the upcoming year include:
- There will be no increase to employee premiums in 2024 regardless of the plan or level of coverage. This is the fifth consecutive year of no increases.
- To comply with updated IRS regulations, the "first" deductible for those covering either a spouse or child(ren) under Plans C and N will change from $3,000 to $3,200. However, the total family deductible remains unchanged at $5,500.
- Beginning in 2024 PrudentRx will be offered to members using specialty medications. The PrudentRx program will provide members the opportunity to get their specialty medications through CVS/Caremark at no cost to members on Plan A, and no coinsurance expense to members after the deductible has been met for those enrolled on Plans C, J and N.
- Hearing aids will now be covered under all four medical plans. Hearing aids will be subject to any deductible or coinsurance applicable to the plan of choice. During a three-year period, one hearing aid device per ear is eligible for coverage. All covered hearing aid services include hearing devices, and covered services from both network and non-network apply toward a maximum benefit for all services of $5,000 per three-year period.
Health reimbursement account/health savings account/flexible spending account updates
- Health savings account contribution limits have increased to $4,150 for individual coverage and $8,300 for those covering dependents. These updated limits apply to contributions made by the employer, employee and HealthQuest reward dollars earned.
- As a reminder, the commuter flexible spending account options most likely will not be beneficial for most K-State employees since parking costs are already pre-tax payroll deductions. These benefits are available for all state employees and would generally apply if you pay out-of-pocket for mass transit and/or parking that is not reimbursed or deducted by K-State.
- Annual flexible spending account contribution limits have not yet been established by the IRS. Look for more information in a future edition of K-State Today. NueSynergy will remain the vendor for all FSA accounts.
Voluntary supplemental insurance options
- Included with the health benefits provided by the State Employee Health Plan are three voluntary supplemental insurance options. These include accident, hospital indemnity and critical illness coverage. These plans pay a cash benefit to help with any unexpected expenses due to an accident or covered illness. These three plans will now be provided by MetLife for 2024. In previous years these were provided by The Hartford.
Please continue to monitor future editions of K-State Today and your mailboxes for additional open enrollment information throughout the month of October. Contact the benefits team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.