K-State Today Guidelines
K-State Today is an enewsletter distributed every work day and coordinated by the Division of Communications and Marketing. It provides faculty, staff and students a single source of timely K-State announcements.
Submissions should be made using the contribute form.
Articles must be submitted no later than noon to publish the following work day. Announcements without a requested publication date will be published at the editor's discretion.
All submissions must be in an article format — no lists, tables, etc.
Only submissions pertaining to Kansas State University will be accepted for publication. Announcements will only be accepted from Kansas State University administration, unit or official groups. A group is determined official when it includes elected officers and has established organizational operations and procedures. Student organizations must be registered through the Center for Student Involvement to publish in K-State Today.
It is the submitter's responsibility to ensure information is accurate and respectful, and adheres to the university's Principles of Community.
K-State Today does not publish announcements such as:
- Articles with names of students who have signed a nondisclosure form with the university as part of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Announcements regarding where K-Staters have appeared in the news — instead these will be published on the news clips page.
- Opinion-based or letters to the editor.
- Statements to support or oppose political parties or causes as outlined in PPM 3095.
- Content that may be potentially libelous.
- Information about an employee's personal life.
- External full-time positions, student jobs or internship opportunities.
- Off-campus or unaffiliated university events or campaigns.
- Obituaries and death announcements. Units may publish short announcements of memorial service information for current K-Staters or those with emeritus status. These will be published in the memorial services category.
The above list does not reflect all possible reasons that would prevent publication.
Any photos submitted to accompany announcements must be no wider than 240 pixels and are deemed to have permission to publish. Fliers submitted are not ideal images, as once they are reduced to that size are often unable to be read.
If the name of a student who has signed a FERPA agreement with the university is included in an announcement, the student's name will be removed unless the student signs a release form with the Division of Communications and Marketing. The division must have an original signed copy of the form on file before the announcement can be published with the student's name.
K-State Today editors reserve the right to edit or deny any submissions. K-State Today adheres to official university style, which is modeled after the Associated Press Stylebook, or AP Style.
K-State Today is sent to all university faculty, staff and students via an official Kansas State University email address. Recipients cannot unsubscribe from the enewsletter, as it is one of the university's primary methods of communication to the entire community, including emergency and mandated messages.
K-State Today rarely publishes the same announcements more than once.
Complete published announcements, or partial content, will be not be revised or deleted unless it is determined to include erroneous information.
Editing or publication of all articles is at the ultimate discretion of the Division of Communications and Marketing.