K-State Classy Cats
Classy Cat Auditions
Thank you for auditioning for a Classy Cat position with the Kansas State University Marching Band! Personality and the ability to work with one’s peers, as well as dancing talent and the ability to entertain 55,000+ people will be the major factors in our selection. The individuals chosen must have the ability to work with the band and understand their role in the overall performance. The following is the necessary information of which each candidate must be aware regarding the audition process and marching band and basketball season.
- Judging panel will consist of: Professional dance instructors, experienced dance & cheer directors and experienced college dance & cheer participants.
- Closed to all spectators, but the audition will be video taped for judging purposes.
- Results will be announced following auditions as well as posted on the University Bands office door, 226 McCain Auditorium.
- Classy Cat positions are considered a 1-year position. Each Classy Cat must re-audition each year.
- We will choose an 18-24 member performance squad.
The performance squad will perform at:
- Football Pre-game
- Football Side-lines
- Football Half-time
- Pep Rallies
- Basketball Games
- Basketball Half-times
- Assigned Events
Saturday, May 4, 2013
8:00am - 4:30pm
KSU REC Center- Peters Rec Complex
The audition schedule is as follows:
8:45 Clinic begins
10:30 Preliminary auditions begin
1:00 - 4:30pm Finals
Before auditions, please send the following (THESE MATERIALS MUST BE IN PRIOR TO THE AUDITIONS):
- Two letters of recommendation from a coach, dance instructor, etc.
- A Short essay entitled Why I Want to be a Classy Cat
- Recent photo (will not be returned)
Please send all materials to:
226 McCain Auditorium
Manhattan, KS 66506
A registration fee of $10.00 will be due when you sign up for the auditions.
Checks may be payable to KSU Bands.
We are looking for: Versatility, the ability to perform many dance styles - jazz, hip hop, cheer/pom, high-kick, lyrical, & field marching.
Must learn routines quickly. Must use proper technique (formal dance training helpful). Must be a performer.
Auditions will consist of:
- 1 short dance combination, which will include two dance styles:
- Jazz and Hip Hop
- Fight Song - Pom Routine (Will be taught at the Classy Cat Workshops, Auditions and to be posted on the K-State Marching Band Website)
- Required elements:
- High kicks (left and right)
- Splits (left and right)
- Leap Combinations: Split, Center, Switch Center, Switch Leaps, Turning Center
- Double and Triple Pirouette (both left and right)
- Fouette Turns and Turns in Second (both left and right)
- Leg Grab Turn
We will teach the dance, leap and pirouette combinations at auditions.
Audition Attire: Black Hot Shorts, Any Color Sports Bra, and Dance Shoes or Athletic Shoes
KSU Marching Band will provide Classy Cat uniforms.
Classy Cats must purchase:
1. Shoes-3 pair: color and design designated by Coordinator
2. Secondary Uniform: shorts, t-shirt, tights, dance pants, wind pants & jacket, bag (approximately $400.00 plus camp for new members, $250.00 plus camp for returning members).All funds must be paid by first game. No participation will be allowed until payment is received.
3. Fundraisers will be provided to help with uniform (shoes, dance pants, warm-ups, etc.) and camp expenses.
Any Classy Cat who does not perform in a professional manner &/or does not represent the position and band in a positive light will be removed from the position on a temporary or permanent basis as the situation dictates.
Classy Cats must maintain a professional appearance in costume, hair and make-up to remain congruent with others.
All correspondence and communication must be initiated by the candidate/Classy Cat and not another family member.
All Classy Cats will attend all rehearsals (including Band Camp & summer practices) and performances. As members of the bands, the Classy Cats will perform any time the marching band/basketball band and volleyball band performs unless scheduled otherwise by the Band Director and Classy Cat Coordinator. All Classy Cats will be required to attend summer camp (late July or early August-TBA), and 3 of the 4 summer practices. It is a time when members learn new routines, work on technique and become as one, a "TEAM". Any exception to this requirement will have to be approved by the Classy Cat Coordinator and/or Band Director.
*Marching Band rehearsal is held from 3:30-5:30 pm every Tuesday, Thursday weekly and Friday of home game(or an assigned performance)weekends. Monday from 3:30-5:30 pm, Wednesday from 3:30-5:15 pm, and Tuesday from 6:30-8:00 pm rehearsals will be for Classy Cats only. Saturday rehearsal will be held on the mornings of home games with early report times varying from 6:00-8:00 am. Spring Semester rehearsal times will be announced at a later date.