Concert Band Clinic
Directors: 2017 Concert Band Clinic Nomination Form
The 2017 Concert Band Clinic will be held January 20-22, 2017 on the campus of Kansas State University. The 2017 Clinic Conductors are:
- Dr. Robert Spradling
Retired Director of Bands Western Michigan University
- Dr. Allen Correll
Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music, Ada Oklahoma
- Dr. John Climer
Professor of Music and Director of Bands, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Dr. Phil Payne
Assistant Professor of Music Education, Kansas State University
- Dr. Pamela Bowen Bustos
Director of Bands, University of Wisconsin, Superior
- Dr. Deb Traficante
Director of Athletic Bands and Associate Director of University Bands, Kennesaw State University
Congratulations to our 2016 Clinic Conductors:
- Dr. Gary Gilroy - Fresno State University (California)
- Mr. Harvey Benstein - Pittsburgh, CA
- Dr. Daniel Laing - Hastings College (Nebraska)
- Dr. Anthony Mazzaferro - Fullerton College (California)
- Mr. Danny Prado - Retired Band Director Grapevine High School (Texas)
- Dr. David Betancourt - Cerritos College (California)
After its introduction in the winter of 1994, the K-State Concert Band Clinic has grown to include over 600 students from the Midwest region. All participants experience educational and musical learning from nationally acclaimed guest clinicians. Centered on the K-State campus in Manhattan, the students are offered opportunities to visit the area and gain a sense of the University's atmosphere. The three-day event includes six large ensembles, percussion ensembles, sectional rehearsals and master classes with the K-State School of Music studio faculty. For the directors, clinician sessions are offered by the honor band directors as well as an opportunity to meet the clinicians at a sponsored luncheon. The weekend concludes with performances by all six honor bands and their percussion ensembles on the stage of McCain Auditorium on Sunday afternoon. A recording of the performance is given to each band director of the participating schools.
- All students wishing to participate in the K-State Concert Band Clinic must be nominated by their director. Please use the enclosed nomination form to list all nominees in the order of their performance skills, with the strongest player listed first. We appreciate your comments about your students on the nomination form. We will accept a minimum of two students from every school.
- Nomination deadline for CBC 2017 is TBA , after that date nominations will be considered on the basis of instrumentation needs at that time.
- Please note that more Clarinets, Bass Clarinets, Double Reeds, Horns, and Tubas are generally needed to balance instrumentation.
- Students selected, will be auditioned upon arrival and assigned to one of the five/six concert bands.
- Your students may also arrange an appointment to audition for a KSU Music Scholarship on the Saturday of the clinic.
There is a non-refundable TBA registration fee for each student participating in the clinic. A professional recording will be made available for an additional fee. Please DO NOT send any registration fees for the students you nominate on the enclosed form. Student registration fees will be payable after nominees are notified of their selection. ALL NOMINATIONS MUST BE IN OUR HANDS BY THE POSTED DATE. STUDENTS ACCEPTED FOR PARTICIPATION WILL BE NOTIFIED BY Mid December, 2016. Please help us serve your students by submitting the nomination form at your earliest convenience. We are looking forward to an inspiring three days for these young musicians as well as teachers in attendance. Please call if additional information is needed.
The following hotel will have rooms reserved under the name of KSU Band Clinic until December. After that date, availability of rooms will not be guaranteed.
Bluemont Hotel 785-473-7091 1212 Bluemont Ave.
Holiday Inn 785-539-7531 1614 Anderson Ave.
Clarion/Four Points Sheraton 785-539-5311 530 Richards
Other hotels in Manhattan are:
Super 8 785-537-8468 200 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Days Inn 785-539-5391 1501 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Motel Six 785-537-1022 510 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Hampton Inn 785-539-5000 501 E. Poyntz
Fairfield Inn 785-539-2400 300 Colorado
Parkwood Inn 785-320-5440 505 South 17th St.
Hilton Garden Inn 785-532-9116 410 South 3rd St.
University Bands is not responsible for making hotel reservations or paying for your rooms. We offer a choice of hotels as a courtesy.
2017 - JANUARY 20-22, 2017
2018 - JANUARY 19-21, 2018
2019 - JANUARY 25-27, 2019
2020 - JANUARY 24-26, 2019