Concert Band Clinic
January 23-25, 2015
CBC 2015 Nominations are now Closed. We will notify all Directors by Thanksgiving with a list of accepted students. Choices will be made based on instrumentation and your recommendations.
Concert Band Clinic Registration and Information for Students and Directors:
Thank you for nominating your students for the XXII CBC. We have had over 1,000 students nominated this year - record number. I appreciate all the work you and your staff are doing for Music, Bands, and Kids in Kansas!! Bravo!!
We are accepting about 700 students for this year’s event. Here is the criteria for selecting who we did:
1. YOUR recommendation.
2. All-State player.
4. Been to CBC before.
5. Instrumentation needs of the 6 concert bands.
Obviously, we can’t take them all!! We did make the cuts based on the above criteria and you are now receiving the list of students accepted from your school. Please congratulate them for us and explain to those that did not get invited what the process was and how to improve.
Please complete the online forms:
1. Director Registration. https://kstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6xHpoCbAjlYrkUZ
2. Student Registration, PDF attached if you prefer. https://kstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cIRcZhLtrLHdepT
3. KSU Scholarship Audition Registration. https://kstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0c8owLRPv0glYUJ
4. Medical Release form - Print and bring this with them, have parents sign it, we will collect at the registration table on Friday, January 23rd between 3 and 6 pm.
Please strongly encourage your students to get these tasks completed quickly. We are also preparing for a major “Bowl; Event” here at K-State and time is on the essence…….
Also, if a student that has been selected is NOT attending let us know ASAP. DO NOT replace them with someone else from your school. We will make that decision here at K-State based on instrument needs and who the next student in order is.
There will also be a “Director’s Luncheon” again this year at the Alumni Center and we need to know if you are attending that event. Please RSVP to Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is also an additional hotel this year: The Bluemont Hotel” which is right across the street from the McCain parking lot. Info on this, and all hotels, is provided as an attachment in this e-mail.
Once again, thanks for attending and sending us your kids. Please take care of the paper work in a timely fashion.
The 2015 Concert Band Clinic Guest Conductors will be:
- Travis Cross - UCLA
- Danny Galyen - University of Northern Iowa
- Joe Tornello - Boise State University
- Brian Silvey - University of Missouri
- Linda Huck, Farmington, Missouri
- Travis Pardee - Foothills High School, Las Vegas, Nevada
After its introduction in the winter of 1994, the K-State Concert Band Clinic has grown to include over 600 students from the Midwest region. All participants experience educational and musical learning from nationally acclaimed guest clinicians. Centered on the K-State campus in Manhattan, the students are offered opportunities to visit the area and gain a sense of the University's atmosphere. The three-day event includes six large ensembles, percussion ensembles, sectional rehearsals and master classes with the K-State School of Music studio faculty. For the directors, clinician sessions are offered by the honor band directors as well as an opportunity to meet the clinicians at a sponsored luncheon. The weekend concludes with performances by all six honor bands and their percussion ensembles on the stage of McCain Auditorium on Sunday afternoon. A recording of the performance is given to each band director of the participating schools.
- All students wishing to participate in the K-State Concert Band Clinic must be nominated by their director. Please use the enclosed nomination form to list all nominees in the order of their performance skills, with the strongest player listed first. We appreciate your comments about your students on the nomination form. We will accept a minimum of two students from every school.
- Nomination deadline is November 15th , after that date nominations will be considered on the basis of instrumentation needs at that time.
- Please note that more Clarinets, Bass Clarinets, Double Reeds, Horns, and Tubas are generally needed to balance instrumentation.
- Students selected, will be auditioned upon arrival and assigned to one of the five/six concert bands.
- Your students may also arrange an appointment to audition for a KSU Music Scholarship on the Saturday of the clinic.
There is a non-refundable $45.00 registration fee for each student participating in the clinic. A professional recording will be made available for an additional fee. Please DO NOT send any registration fees for the students you nominate on the enclosed form. Student registration fees will be payable after nominees are notified of their selection. ALL NOMINATIONS MUST BE IN OUR HANDS BY THE POSTED DATE. STUDENTS ACCEPTED FOR PARTICIPATION WILL BE NOTIFIED BY Mid December, 2012. Please help us serve your students by submitting the nomination form at your earliest convenience. We are looking forward to an inspiring three days for these young musicians as well as teachers in attendance. Please call if additional information is needed.
The following hotel will have rooms reserved under the name of KSU Band Clinic until December. After that date, availability of rooms will not be guaranteed.
Holiday Inn 785-539-7531 1614 Anderson Ave.
Clarion/Four Points Sheraton 785-539-5311 530 Richards
Other hotels in Manhattan are:
Super 8 785-537-8468 200 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Days Inn 785-539-5391 1501 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Motel Six 785-537-1022 510 Tuttle Creek Blvd.
Hampton Inn 785-539-5000 501 E. Poyntz
Fairfield Inn 785-539-2400 300 Colorado
Parkwood Inn 785-320-5440 505 South 17th St.
Hilton Garden Inn 785-532-9116 410 South 3rd St.
University Bands is not responsible for making hotel reservations or paying for your rooms. We offer a choice of hotels as a courtesy.
2015 - JANUARY 23-25, 2015
2016 - JANUARY 22-24, 2016