1. K-State home
  2. »Admissions
  3. »Living options
  4. »Off-campus housing

Office of Admissions
Kansas State University
119 Anderson Hall
919 Mid-Campus Dr. North
Manhattan, KS 66506-0102


Living options

Off-campus housing

Your college journey may lead you to consider off-campus living, and that's okay! You're still a part of the K-State family. We'll be here to support you and keep you involved in campus life.

Scholarship and cooperative houses

While K-State does manage two on-campus scholarship/cooperative houses, there are also two independent, off-campus options available:

  • The Alpha of Clovia cooperative house for women provides sisterhood and develops leadership skills among former 4-H members and those with a similar background. Ninety percent of Clovers are required to have been 4-H members. Clovia is located one block east of K-State.
  • The Smith Scholarship House for men is located three blocks from campus and provides affordable living for male college students. Smith House is a self-sustaining, cooperative living environment. This entails each Smithie doing his part of the cooking and cleaning.

Fraternities and sororities

Fraternities and sororities are values-based organizations dedicated to making better men and women. Several have housing options, too. Chapter houses surround the campus, and all are within walking distance. The chapter facilities are owned by alumni corporations, not by K-State, and provide room and board and study facilities, along with leadership, social and intramural activities.

All sororities and most fraternities have a house director who supervises the kitchen operations, plans the menus, mentors members, and oversees chapter facility operations. Not every chapter houses its members.

  • FraternitiesK-State has 30 fraternities, including four historically African-American fraternities and one historically Latino fraternity. Recruitment is year-round, but most select members in the spring and summer months. Freshmen are usually required to live in fraternity chapter houses.
  • SororitiesK-State has 18 sororities, including four historically African-American sororities and one historically Latina sorority. Formal Panhellenic recruitment is held the week before fall classes. Sororities don't house freshman women, so you will need to arrange a residence hall or apartment contract your first year.

Apartments and rentals

You can find apartments around town to suit your living needs. Check out ads in the Manhattan Mercury and the Kansas State Collegian.

Off-Campus Housing Support maintains a bulletin board that lists available rental units and other housing options.

Renting 101

  • Size: Apartments range from one-room studio apartments to four-bedroom apartments. Individual rooms may also be rented. No more than four unrelated people can legally rent the same dwelling.
  • Furnishings: Apartments and houses can be furnished or unfurnished. Some may offer either option with a price differential.
  • Restrictions: The most common restrictions are no pets, no smoking, no water beds, no children and a maximum number of occupants per unit. A few do not allow subleasing.
  • Contracts: Leases are almost always for 12 months, though a few are written for 10 or 11. Common contract periods are June 1 to May 31 and Aug. 1 to July 31. Read the lease agreement carefully before signing. Get a copy of the lease.
  • Get it in writing: If the owner/manager offers you an oral lease, pick up a sample written lease to modify it. Get the signatures of the owner/manager and all renters.
  • Condition of property: Check the rental unit and its contents. Do an inventory with the owner/manager within five days after moving in. This protects you from having preexisting damages charged to your account. Make your list detailed.
  • Owner/manager: Find out about the owner/manager's track record for prompt repairs and fair deposit return. Ask present or former renters. Read online reviews.
  • Do your homework: Be wary of renting from a landlord whose dwelling isn't up to code. Call Manhattan's free Code Services at 785-587-4506 for an inspection if you're unsure if the dwelling is not up to code.
  • Inspections: Ask how frequently the unit is inspected by the landlord and how much notice the landlord agrees to give before entering the dwelling.
  • Roommates: Agree ahead of time on the rules of the house. Use a sample roommate agreement as a guide. You can get one from the consumer and tenants affairs office.

The costs

  • Price range: An unfurnished studio apartment rents for about $300-500, while a two bedroom apartment rents for about $450-700.
  • Utilities: The renter is usually responsible for gas/electricity and the owner for water and trash. A minimum utility deposit for new customers is two times the average monthly bill for that property.
  • Deposits: The amount is usually dependent on whether the apartment or house is unfurnished, furnished or whether pets are allowed.
  • Essentials: Don't forget about other necessities such as kitchen and dining supplies and sheets and towels.

Need help?

Whether you're looking for a place to live or are concerned about issues such as interpreting leases or getting along with your roommate, K-State and the city of Manhattan have offices that can help you.

These offices can provide sample leases, sample roommate agreements, inventory checklists and tenant's rights handbooks. They help with interpreting leases, mediating landlord/tenant disputes, understanding the Kansas Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, and providing information for inspection of code violations.