1. K-State home
  2. »Admissions
  3. »Apply


Graduate and online students should follow different steps to apply.

Office of Admissions
Kansas State University
119 Anderson Hall
919 Mid-Campus Dr. North
Manhattan, KS 66506-0102


785-532-6393 fax

Apply for admission and scholarships

The first step to achieving your goals and earning your piece of the $38 million scholarship pie awarded annually to K-State students is to submit the combined application for admission and scholarships.

The priority application deadline for full scholarship consideration is Nov. 1 each year. But if you haven't yet applied, it's not too late! K-State will continue to accept applications and will award scholarships pending funding availability.


Review admission requirements.

Find out what it takes to join the K-State family.

New freshmen

To be considered for qualified admissions you must:

Complete the precollege curriculum with at least a 2.0 GPA (2.5 for non-residents) AND achieve one of the following: 

  • A 21 or higher composite score on the ACT assessment OR
  • A 1060 or higher on the SAT ERW+M if taken after March 2016 OR
  • 980 or higher on the SAT CR + M if taken before March 2016 OR
  • Rank in the top third of your graduating class

AND, if applicable, achieve a 2.0 GPA or higher on all college credit taken in high school. Students who don't meet these requirements should apply early for full consideration. Additional information may be requested.

Review our Admissions Qualifications quick guide (pdf) for more details.

However, some K-State programs have different requirements. See our list of majors with different requirements.

If you graduated in an earlier year, see our list of previous admission requirements.

Transfer students

Students with 24 or more completed transfer hours must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all transfer course work to be admitted to the university.

Transfer students with fewer than 24 completed transfer hours must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all transfer course work but must also meet the freshman admission standards corresponding to the high school graduation year. 

However, some K-State programs have different requirements. See our list of majors with different requirements.

Learn more about transferring to K-State

Returning students

If you previously attended K-State and are returning after a semester or more off, you must submit an application for readmission. After receiving your application, your academic record and program requested will be reviewed. Contact our office with questions.

Home-schooled students

Students completing home-schooling in 2015 or after must confirm completion of the precollege course work and obtain a 21 or high ACT composite (980 SAT CR + M). GED or HiSET scores are also accepted and can be reviewed. See the next section for more details.

Submit a transcript describing your high school program of study. You can submit a transcript from an agency like American University, you can complete this fillable pdf, or you can make your own. Course descriptions or portfolios of your work are accepted in place of an accredited diploma.

However, some K-State programs have different requirements. See our list of majors with different requirements.

If you have encountered unusual situations that keep you from meeting the university requirements, please contact the admissions office.

High School Equivalency/GED students

For GED test takers, admission to the university requires:

  • an overall score of 600 and minimum score of 150 on each subtest if you took the GED after January 1, 2014.
  • a score of 510 or higher on each subtest is required if you took the GED between January 1, 2002 and December 31, 2013.
  • an average score of 50 or higher if you took the GED before 2002.

HiSET test takers who took the exam after January 1, 2014, must obtain an overall score of 75 and a minimum score of 8 on each subtest.

However, some K-State programs have different requirements. See our list of majors with different requirements.

High school graduates 21 or older

Students who graduated from an accredited high school who are 21 or older must submit a final high school transcript or GED scores. If you have attempted any college or university course work, you must request that official transcripts be mailed or faxed to the admissions office.

Learn more about nontraditional admissions requirements

International students

The Office of International Admission and Recruiting helps international students apply to K-State.

Please visit their website for all needed details.

High school concurrent enrollment

Eligible students currently in high school may take K-State courses for college credit with written approval by a high school counselor and Academic Dean's office. Click here for the required form and further instructions.

Apply for admission and scholarships
Your academic file

An official test score from ACT or SAT and an official high school transcript are required by July 1 for freshman students. Freshmen students are also required to submit official college transcript(s) for all courses attempted by July 1, with the exception of summer college work in progress. Transfer students must list all institutions attended and submit official transcripts from all institutions. Learn more about finalizing your academic file.

Request information

Apply today

Meet your rep

student stories

Princeton Review
National Rankings

campus-community relations
best quality of life
happiest students