January 9, 2023
Spring syllabi resources and required statements
Dear deans, department heads, faculty and graduate teaching assistants:
As we approach the start of the spring 2023 semester, we want to remind you of some helpful resources.
1. Syllabus statements: Remember to include the mandatory statements in your fall course syllabi, and please consider including suggested optional statements if they apply to your course. Please note there have been additions and revisions to the syllabus statements website:
- A new mandatory statement regarding discrimination, harassment, and sexual harassment.
- Revisions to the statement regarding students with disabilities and the statement regarding wearing of face masks.
2. Final exam schedule: Make sure your final exam schedule is updated to reflect the spring 2023 exam schedule. All faculty, instructors and graduate teaching assistants should refer to University Handbook section F70-73 to make sure they are in compliance with the final exam policy.
3. Prep week: Please adhere to the prep week rule. No examination — unit or final — may be scheduled seven calendar days before the first scheduled day of semester examinations, University Handbook F70.
4. Spring break: Remember that spring break is scheduled for March 12-19.
5. Open House: Finally, the All-University Open House is scheduled for Saturday, April 1. As usual, classes will be canceled starting at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, March 31. If instances arise where rescheduling in specialized classrooms or laboratory environments is not feasible, or canceling sections of a multisection course would result in the loss of an entire class day, then instructor prerogative will determine whether classes will be canceled. In these cases, faculty members choosing to hold classes at or after 2:30 p.m. must notify Room Scheduling at 785-532-1712 at the start of the spring semester to ensure that their classrooms are available. This determination should be clearly noted on the course syllabus handed out at the beginning of the semester so that students are aware of this far in advance of Open House.
6. Teaching and Learning Center: The center has sample syllabi language, videos with syllabi preparation tips, and advice for course design and inclusive teaching.
Your ability to continue to serve our students with excellent teaching and learning experiences is greatly appreciated. In addition to your department heads, directors of graduate studies and dean's offices, the Teaching and Learning Center and the Office of the Provost team are here to support your work.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at 785-532-7828 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interim Associate Provost for Institutional Effectiveness