July 30, 2014
Secure disposal of paper, electronic media available all year long
In addition to the university's periodic Shred Day events, departments can securely dispose of paper and electronic media, or e-waste, throughout the year.
To securely dispose of paper materials:
- Read the retention of records policy before destroying any documents.
- Review the records retention and disposition schedule for the length of time to retain specific documents. For additional clarification about that schedule, contact Cliff Hight, university archivist, at 785-532-3420 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Document Resources at 785-537-1222 to arrange a one-time pickup, set up a regular schedule for pickup or ask questions.
- Sign an authorization document at the time of pickup, giving permission to Document Resources to accept, destroy and recycle materials.
Sensitive paper materials include Scantron forms; green-bar grade sheets; rosters printed from K-State Online and iSIS; credit card information; personnel files; and other sensitive papers that contain grades, identities, and/or financial information.
To securely dispose of electronic media e-waste:
- Departments can submit an e-waste form to facilities recycling to pick up e-waste, or take it to the Recycling Center northeast of Weber Hall.
- A disposition of property form, DA-110, is required for all physical e-waste. See PPM Chapter 6510 for instructions.
- Collected media are shredded in the Recycling Center and then disposed along with other e-waste.
Electronic media includes computers, printers, screens, keyboards, CDs, DVDs, and most portable media. For more information on e-waste disposal, use these resources: