The Visionary Plan Process
The reports and resources below illustrate the phased-process used to define the 2025 Visionary Plan. The resources on this page are organized chronologically by phase.
Phase 1: Establish overall goal
The President and Provost will propose an overall university goal for 2025 which will represent the foundation for the strategic planning process.
Overall goal: Kansas State University will be recognized nationally as a top 50 public research university.
- President's welcome video
- President's February 2010 Letter to Campus
- "K-State beginning ambitious plan for next 15 years to be a top 50 public university"
Phase 2: Where are we now?
We will develop a benchmarking presentation which illustrates our current national standing in key areas, which will be presented to small focus groups across campus. Focus groups will be facilitated with notes taken. Additionally, there will be two or three broad questions asked about the future of Kansas State.
- President's July 2010 Letter to Campus
- Kirk Schulz getting input from K-State constituents on reaching lofty goals by 2025
- Benchmarking presentation (PDF)
- Phase 2 Results (compiled focus group and online comments/suggestions)
Phase 3: Identify major themes
We will use the data collected by the various focus groups to develop major themes which have arisen from the focus group areas. A representative group of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends will meet in a one-day retreat setting to propose goals for the identified themes.
- President and Provost talk about K-State 2025
- President's December 2010 Letter to Campus
- Comments on Proposed Themes & Common Elements
- Major Themes & Common Elements (final)
Phase 4: Establish major goals & objectives
We will use the information from the major identified themes to convene small groups focused around thematic areas to develop measurable and quantifiable long and short term goals and objectives.
- Corporate Engagement Center White Paper
- Committees to identify major goals
- Letter to campus from President Schulz and Provost Mason
Phase 5: Overall plan draft
Theme committees will draft strategic action plans taking into account the overall visionary goal, key benchmarks, themes and common elements, thematic goals and associated long and short-term objectives.
- Overview of Visionary Goal, Key Benchmarks, Themes and Common Elements, and Proposed Thematic Goals
- Proposed Thematic Strategic Action Plans
- Wordles: word clouds from the theme committees
Phase 6: Revision & feedback
Strategic action plans proposed by theme committees will be widely disseminated for critique and discussion. Feedback will be collected online and through focus groups.
- Letter to Campus from President Schulz and Provost Mason: K-State 2025
- Comments on Strategic Action Plans Proposed by Theme Committees
Phase 7: Final plan roll out and publicity
The K-State 2025 Visionary Plan will be finalized and prominently featured on the university website. Appropriate publicity materials will be used to highlight the plan and how it will impact the university.