August 9, 2023
Fall syllabi resources and required statements
Dear deans, department heads, faculty and graduate teaching assistants:
As we approach the start of the 2023-2024 academic year, we want to remind you of some helpful resources.
- Syllabus statements: Remember to include the mandatory statements in your fall course syllabi, and please consider including suggested optional statements if they apply to your course.
- AI guidance: The Teaching and Learning Center has collected samples of syllabi statements addressing the use of artificial intelligence in assignments. Please use these models as you develop your communications of expectations for students this semester.
- Final exam schedule: Make sure your final exam schedule is updated to reflect the fall 2023 exam schedules. All faculty, instructors and graduate teaching assistants should refer to University Handbook section F70-73 to make sure they are in compliance with the final exam policy.
- Prep week: Please adhere to the prep week rule. No examination — unit or final — may be scheduled seven calendar days before the first scheduled day of semester examinations, University Handbook F70.
- Teaching and Learning Center: The center has many resources as you develop your courses, including sample syllabi language, videos with syllabi preparation tips, and advice for course design and inclusive teaching. You are also welcome to join the Professional Development Series every Wednesday at noon.
Your ability to continue to serve our students with excellent teaching and learning experiences is greatly appreciated. In addition to your department heads, directors of graduate studies and dean's offices, the Teaching and Learning Center and the Office of the Provost team are here to support your work.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at 785-532-6439 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interim Associate Provost for Institutional Effectiveness