October 31, 2019
Custodial service changes on the horizon
Effective Jan. 2, 2020, the Division of Facilities will consolidate all campus custodial services to one shift. Upon completion of the holiday break and beginning Jan. 2, 2020, all on-campus custodial team members will be scheduled to work Monday-Friday 5 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Child care custodial team members will work 4 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Several factors considered before reaching this decision included the following:
- Compliment customer surveys and feedback from regular site inspections and interaction with staff and building users.
- No loss of pay or benefits for night shift employees.
- Improve consistency, service level, expectation and teamwork.
- Improve flexibility in supervision, training and staffing.
- Allow a positive culture of cleaning to develop.
- Overcome challenges filling and staffing night shift positions.
Some advantages to employees of aligning team members to a single shift:
- Strengthen relationships and embody a stronger sense of community.
- Working in teams increases collaboration, communication and effectiveness.
- Increased productivity, performance and achievement.
- Increase efficiency and finish projects on time
- Workforce flexibility and cross-training.
- Better opportunity for team recognition.
- More easily attend university workshops and forums, typically scheduled during day shift.
- Provides opportunity to participate in family after-school activities such as sporting events and music programs.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding this change and how it will affect your building, please feel free to contact Linda Craghead at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-1789.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation with this transition.