Environmental Health and Safety Training
It is the responsibility of each college, department and supervisor/PI to ensure that staff and students are provided safety training appropriate for the nature of the KSU activities they engage in. Some required training is listed here. Additional training may be required by regulation or as an expected standard of care. For guidance, contact the University Environmental Health and Safety Department (EHS) at 532-5856.
Instructor-Led Training offered through EHS
The following instructor-led and online courses must be taken through EHS unless otherwise arranged with EHS. Additional related on-the-job training, specific to your work duties, must also be provided by your department and/or supervisor.
- Hazard Communication training is required for anyone using chemicals in the course of their work or research activities.
- Hazardous Waste Awareness Refresher training is for those that have taken the Hazardous Waste Awareness instructor-led course in the past or the Online Initial Hazardous Waste Awareness course within the last year. The refresher course is required to take on an annual basis.
- Initial Hazardous Waste Awareness training is required for anyone that handles or generates a hazardous waste.
- Laser Safety Training is required for class 3B or 4 users. Training is provided online. Register for HSI/Vivid online courses.
- Radiation Safety Training (sealed and unsealed) training is required annually for anyone working with radioisotopes or sealed sources. It is now completed through HSI/Vivid online. Register for HSI/Vivid online courses.
- Respiratory Protection Training is required annually for any employee using a respirator at KSU. Other requirements include registration, medical approval, and fit testing. Training is available online. Register for HSI/Vivid online courses. Only EHS-approved training is acceptable. Contact EHS for information and program approval.
- University Laboratory Safety Training (3 courses) is required for all new staff or newly assigned staff that will work in a laboratory setting. Training is provided online. Register for HSI/Vivid online courses. This training is also recommended for existing laboratory staff.
- Van Operator Training Kansas State University has required Van Training for drivers of the 15 passenger vans since 2001. While the University requires it only for the fifteen passenger vans, the Motor Pool requires it for any of the big vans, Including the big eight passenger, and the twelve passenger vans.
Other training may be required based on work activities and related hazards. These are instructor-led courses unless otherwise specified. Contact EHS (2-5856) to arrange. These include, but are not limited to:
- Aerial Lifts - through HSI/Vivid online and in person available
- Asbestos related trainings - 2 hour Asbestos Awareness, 8-Hour Asbestos Worker Refresher, 32-Hour Worker Initial, 16 hour O&M
- Authorized Overhead Crane Operator/Lifting devices
- Blood Borne Pathogens/Universal Precautions (available online through CITI or HSI/Vivid)
- Confined Spaces
- Electrical Safety, High Voltage Safety, and/or Arc Flash Training
- Fall Protection - Competent person training offered through ACE. Equipment inspection services offered through EHS.
- Forklift Safety - Contact EHS to arrange the instructor-led portion of training.
- Machine Guarding
- Nanotechnology safety awareness - online through CITI
- Pesticide Application (permit required) - online through CITI
- Shipping Hazardous Materials
- Skid Loaders - Online portion available through CITI
- Trenching and excavation - required, online portion through Vivid
- X-ray Safety (HSI/Vivid-online)
- Welding Safety
Special coordination may be needed to arrange these and other specialty training. Contact your college/department safety representative or EHS to discuss your safety and compliance training needs
Online training for a variety of safety and compliance titles (Within this pdf all topics are clickable. Each will take you to an in depth description of the course) is available through prior arrangement with EHS through HSI/Vivid Learning Systems. Depending on your college or work activities, these online courses may be required.
HSI/Vivid Online Training:Register by filling out and submitting this form for HSI/Vivid online course access. Once registered you should be able to login with your K-State eID and password on SSO link.
Fume Hood Safety, General Ergo Training, Office Ergo, and Safe Lifting Training are now on HSI/Vivid.
See Vivid LMS for more information.
CITI Online Training: Researchers seeking IBC, IRB, IACUC protocol approval have specific requirements for training (provided through CITI). Review the University Research Compliance Office requirements.
Hazardous Waste Awareness courses
Initial Hazardous Waste Awareness training is required for anyone that handles or generates a hazardous waste.
Hazardous Waste Awareness Refresher training is for those that have taken the Hazardous Waste Awareness instructor-led course in the past or the Online Initial Hazardous Waste Awareness course within the last year. The refresher course is required to take on an annual basis.
Additional Training Resources
Listed below are supplemental resources. To take the training presentations below, click on the link. If your college or department requires you to take one or more of these, make sure to take the related quiz or fill out the verification form after completing the training.
- Biological Safety Cabinet YouTube Video (NIH)
- DOT Outreach & Training (PHMSA registration required)
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- Fire Safety Training (pdf)
- National Incident Management System (External FEMA Site)
- HSI OSHA Required Training Frequencies
- Proper Care and Use of N-95 Respirators (youtube)
- Respirator Safety (youtube)
- Respiratory Protection for Healthcare Workers (youtube)