Environmental Health and Safety Training
It is the responsibility of each college, department and supervisor/PI to ensure that staff and students are provided safety training appropriate for the nature of the KSU activities they engage in. Required training is listed here. Additional training may be required by regulation or as an expected standard of care. For guidance, contact the University Environmental Health and Safety Department (EHS) at 532-5856.
In-Person Training offered through EHS
- Hazard Communication,
- Radiation Safety Training (sealed and unsealed)
- Fire Extinguisher Use,
- Asbestos Awareness,
- Hazardous Waste Awareness, and
- HazWoper training
Enroll for in-person courses through HRIS Self Service.
The following in-person and online courses must be taken through EHS unless otherwise arranged with EHS. Additional related on-the-job training, specific to your work duties, must also be provided by your department and/or supervisor.
- Hazard Communication training is required for anyone using chemicals in the course of their work or research activities.
- Hazardous Waste Awareness training is required for anyone that handles or generates a hazardous waste.
- Radiation Safety Training (sealed and unsealed) training is required for anyone working with radioisotopes or sealed sources.
- Laser Safety Training is required for class 3B or 4 users. Training is provided online. Contact EHS to register.
- Laboratory Safety Training is required for all staff new to work in a laboratory setting. Contact EHS for training options.
- Respiratory Protection Training is required for any employee using a respirator at KSU. Other requirements include registration, medical approval, and fit testing. Contact EHS.
Other training may be required based on work activities and related hazards. These include, but are not limited to:
- Fall Protection
- Blood Borne Pathogens/Universal Precautions (available online through CITI or Vivid)
- Confined Spaces
- X-ray Safety (Vivid)
- Asbestos Awareness or 16-Hour Asbestos worker
- Forklift Safety - Contact EHS to arrange the in-person portion of training.
- Skid Loaders - Online portion available through CITI
- Electrical Safety, High Voltage Safety, and/or Arc Flash Training
- Machine Guarding
- Welding Safety
- Shipping Hazardous Materials
- Nanotechnology safety awareness - online through CITI
- Pesticide Application (permit required) - online through CITI
- Aerial Lifts - through Vivid online
- Trenching and excavation - required, online portion through Vivid
Special coordination may be needed to arrange these and other specialty training. Contact your college/department safety representative or EHS to discuss your safety and compliance training needs
Online training for a variety of safety and compliance titles is available through prior arrangement with EHS through Vivid Learning Systems. Depending on your college or work activities, these online courses may be required. Contact EHS to register for Vivid online courses.
Additional Training Resources
Listed below are supplemental resources. To take the training presentations below, click on the link. If your college or department requires you to take one or more of these, make sure to take the related quiz or fill out the verification form after completing the training.
- National Incident Management System Training (pdf)
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- Fire Safety Training (pdf)
- General Ergo Training (pdf)
- Hazardous Waste Training (pdf)
- Lab Safety Training (pdf)
- Office Ergo Training (pdf)
- Proactive Safety Training (pdf)
- Safe Lifting Training (pdf)
- Safety Committee Training (pdf)
- Proper Care and Use of N-95 Respirators (pdf)
For more information about training, contact Environmental Health and Safety at 532-5856 or firstname.lastname@example.org.