Year 3 : Feed and strengthen
During the senior year of high school, the students involved in the program would:
- Continue in a third level of music theory introduces jazz harmonies and compositional techniques. Music history moves to music of the 20th century including popular styles. Harmonic progression identification is expected for aural training. Compositions are performed on an annual student composition recital or on a larger concert if the ensemble of the piece is a full band, jazz band, or full choir. Music sequencing programs and CD-ROM programs relevant to advanced training should be introduced (if possible) and used for ear training, music history and theory exams.
- Teaching weekly lessons to younger students are continued, often teaching a different grade level of student than the previous year. They are expected to maintain a notebook of teaching logs that include lesson content, progress notes, and reflections on each teaching experience. Each teaching log is to be scored using a teaching log rubric. At the end of each semester, the apprentice is to complete an summative reflection.
- Students are taught basic conducting techniques and provided an ensemble to teach and conduct a piece that will be performed at a concert. They becomes the student conductor for the semester.
- Students are to be assigned a music teacher in the district to shadow one or two days a week during an open period. The student should observe the classes, participate in administrative tasks, and lead sectional rehearsals when needed. See expectations. The cooperating teacher will assess the apprentice. The apprentice will reflect upon their experience.
- Each student are encouraged to take private piano lessons or piano class.
- Students are required to prepare a solo for the state solo festival and participate in a large ensemble documented on the participation form.
- Students are expected to perform on a selected solo on a recital or perform all of the selections learned through high school on a solo recital for parents and friends. A program in the portfolio will document the experience.
- A portfolio is to be presented which includes summaries of the apprentice's experiences.