Peer Teaching Procedures
- Make certain that you administrator has been made fully aware of the entire process before commencing into a program where students teach students. Peer teaching is a valuable learning experience but required approval from administration.
- Identify the open periods during school and times before/after school that the teaching apprentice has available to teach.
- Find students who are in need of extra tutoring. (it is better not to place a proficient student with the apprentice because they may not know how to help the student. Or one too close to the same age due to communication conflicts)
- If the apprentice needs permission to leave a study hall or travel to a different school, you must follow the school policies concerning these issues. Take care to monitor student activities for protection of you and the student apprentice.
- Monitor the lessons on a weekly basis by viewing the teaching logs and using the Teaching Log rubric.
- Discuss the experience of teaching, inquiring of problems or challenges at a minimum of once per month.