1. Kansas State University
  2. »Division of Communications and Marketing
  3. »K-State Today
  4. »Finding support for sexual assault, dating violence, harassment or stalking

K-State Today

September 9, 2014

Finding support for sexual assault, dating violence, harassment or stalking

Submitted by Jenna Tripodi

Numerous options are available for support and reporting on campus and within the Manhattan community. If an individual is a victim of sexual assault, dating violence, harassment or stalking, some initial questions to consider are: Do I need medical attention? Is my safety threatened? Do I want to make a report of the crime? Do I want confidential support services?

If a survivor needs immediate medical attention, Mercy Regional Health Center provides 24-hour emergency services. The phone number is 785-776-3322. Specifically relating to sexual violence, the hospital has a certified sexual assault nurse examiner who is trained in forensic evidence collection.

Lafene Health Center is available, by appointment, to all students for sexually transmitted disease testing and confidential supportive health services. Lafene's phone number is 785-532-6544.

If there is a concern for an individual's immediate safety, please call 911. Additionally, if an individual ever feels unsafe walking on campus they can call Wildcat Walk at 785-395-7233 and a representative from the K-State Police Department will escort them up to two blocks off campus.

To report any instance of sexual assault, dating violence, stalking or harassment that has occurred on university property, contact the Office of Institutional Equity at 785-532-6220. To make a report to the criminal justice system, contact the police department.

The K-State Center for Advocacy Response and Education, or CARE, offers confidential advocacy and support services to any member of the K-State Community who has experienced sexual assault, dating violence, stalking or harassment. The CARE office is a safe place for survivors to explore their options, receive support from trained advocates and obtain referrals to other resources campus and community resources. Contact the office at 785-532-6444.

Additionally, those looking for confidential therapeutic support can visit K-State counseling services or call 785-532-6927 or the K-State Family Center or call 785-532-6974.

In this issue

News and research
Human resources, benefits and training
Health and safety
Kudos, publications and presentations
Volunteer opportunities