December 15, 2022
University Pre-Professional Advising Center opening in January 2023
I am happy to announce that the University Pre-Professional Advising Center will open on Jan. 4, 2023, on the first floor of the Berney Family Welcome Center. The center will serve prospective and current K-State students interested in exploring, preparing and applying for professional programs in health, veterinary medicine and law. Working in partnership with K-State colleges, the center aims to raise the profile and visibility of pre-professional pathways at K-State, increase the recruitment of pre-professional students and guide these students in pursuing their dreams.
Following a national search, Jared Meitler has been named the inaugural director of the new center. Meitler spent a decade serving in progressively more responsible positions in career services, most recently as the associate director of the Career Center at K-State. He has been active in NACADA: The Global Community for Advising and has developed expertise in major exploration and career decision-making. Meitler will lead a team that includes five experienced K-State health professions advisors, a pre-law advisor, and an advisor and recruitment coordinator.
The team of health professions advisors includes Sherryl J. Allen and Kaela Urquhart from the College of Arts and Sciences, and Gayla Adams-Wright, Adam Dieker and Sherry Pogranichniy from the College of Health and Human Sciences. Sheryl King Richards will serve as the pre-law advisor and Amanda Reichenberger will be an advisor and recruitment coordinator.
I appreciate the partnership and collaboration of the leadership in the colleges of Arts and Sciences, Health and Human Sciences and Agriculture as I have worked to set up this central advising resource. Melinda Cro from Arts and Sciences and Shawna Jordan from Health and Human Sciences and their staff have supported the advisors and me in this transition. These colleges have been outstanding partners and collaborators, and I look forward to continued engagement with faculty and administrators across campus.
The search committees charged with screening and recommending talent have worked hard to help us fully staff the center. Thank you to the following members of the K-State community:
- Kathleen Hatch, Morrison family associate vice president for student well-being, search chair.
- Sara Luly, faculty director of the University Honors Program, associate professor of modern languages, search chair.
- Stephanie Bannister, assistant vice provost for student success, search chair.
- Brad Cunningham, student success technology administrator, search chair.
- Melinda Anderson, executive director of NACADA: The Global Community for Advising, teaching assistant professor in the College of Education.
- Ken Sisley, integrated health studies administrator in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Cassandra Jones, professor and teaching coordinator in the animal sciences and industry department.
- Brian Lindshield, professor and associate department head in the food, nutrition, dietetics and health department.
- Christian Larson, instructor of kinesiology.
- Holly Gerke, assistant director of the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
- Melinda Cro, assistant dean in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Shawna Jordan, assistant dean in the College of Health and Human Sciences.
- Eric Thompson, director of TRIO Educational Supportive Services.
- Pamela Erickson, director of student success and advising at Global Campus.
- Karen Sullivan-Vance, associate director of NACADA: The Global Community for Advising.
- Rebeca Paz, assistant director of the Office of First-generation Students.
- John Fliter, professor of political science.
- Jodi Kaus, director of Powercat Financial.
- Kerri Keller, executive director of the Career Center.
- Cole Baker, president of the Pre-Law Ambassadors, student.
- Suzanne Reece, New Student Services coordinator and academic advisor in the kinesiology department.
- Kevin Cook, associate director of Housing and Dining Services.
- Tammy Byland, former executive director of the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
For more information on the center, please visit the Pre-Professional Advising Center website.
Jeannie Brown Leonard
Vice provost for student success