May 16, 2022
Electrical and computer engineering annual awards
The Mike Wiegers Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering hosted its ninth annual awards banquet on May 3, celebrating the accomplishments of students, faculty and staff. Retired faculty were recognized for their many years of dedicated service, with Satish Chandra, Stephen Dyer and Ruth Dyer attending. Medhat Morcos, William Kuhn and John Devore were unable to attend, but the department extends its appreciation for their years of dedicated service.
Two graduate student awards are presented each year. Faculty nominations are submitted to an awards committee for review and selection. Sai Munikoti received the award for outstanding graduate research assistant. Bala Natarajan is Munikoti's major professor. Mehmetcan Gursoy received the award for outstanding graduate teaching assistant. Behrooz Mirafzal is Gursoy's major professor.
The electrical and computer engineering department offers three academic programs: biomedical, computer and electrical engineering.
The biomedical engineering award recipients:
• Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement — Tom Colling, Ceci Schmitz and Cody Robertson.
• Outstanding Junior — Kharli Schiffner.
• Outstanding Sophomore — Peyton Christian.
• Outstanding Freshman — Nicole Wagoner.
The biomedical engineering program is celebrating its first graduating class in 2022. Congratulations to this group of seniors for such a memorable milestone.
The computer engineering program recipients:
• Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement in Computer Engineering — Caden Churchman, Stephanie Krass and Samuel McGowan.
• Outstanding Junior in Computer Engineering — Bryan Hill.
• Outstanding Sophomore in Computer Engineering — Aaron Sarkar.
• Outstanding Freshman in Computer Engineering — Gannon Bird.
The electrical engineering program recipients:
• Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement in Electrical Engineering — Haden Dillavou, Patrick Flett, Mason Phelps and Corbin Wheeler.
• Outstanding Junior in Electrical Engineering — Alex Howard.
• Outstanding Sophomore in Electrical Engineering — Obi Oligbo.
• Outstanding Freshman in Electrical Engineering — Colby Karnei.
The programs combined to award the top seniors in leadership, service and research. The recipients:
• Outstanding Leadership — Hayden Dillavou.
• Outstanding Service — Kelsey Warren.
• Outstanding Research — Tegan Brandt.