October 12, 2020
Fall 2020 Global Food Systems Seed Grants awarded
The Office of Research Development announces the results of the fall 2020 call for proposals for the Global Food Systems Seed Grant Program.
The funding is intended to support innovative research in all aspects of global food systems, with particular interest in those projects that are interdisciplinary; promote job creation and economic development in the state of Kansas; engage graduate and/or undergraduate students; and partner with industry, particularly those based in Kansas.
All proposals were peer-reviewed by faculty members with a variety of relevant expertise.
Awardees and their project titles are:
- Manreet Bhullar, horticulture and natural resources; Trevor Hefley, statistics; Terry Griffin, agricultural economics: "Application of Ultraviolet light technology to enhance the safety of agricultural water on Kansas fresh produce farms."
- Michael Chao, animal sciences and industry; Ruth Welti, biology: "Exploring the potential effect of anti-phospholipase A2 antibody to extend beef shelf-life in a beef liposome model system."
- Jonathan Dessi-Olive, architecture; Richard Todd, plant pathology; Vincent Amanor-Boadu, agricultural economics: "Sustainable Development for Rural Kansas through Fungi-based Building Materials."
- Roman Pogranichniy, diagnostic medicine and pathobiology; Chad Paulk, grain science and industry; Cassandra Jones, animal sciences and industry: "Development of an in vitro assay to assess the infectivity of viruses in animal feed."
- Kathryn Reif, diagnostic medicine and pathobiology; Qing Kang, statistics; John Jaeger, K-State Research and Extension Agricultural Research Center/animal science and industry; Emily Reppert, clinical sciences: "Evaluation of anaplasmosis on commercial beef bull breeding soundness."
Awardees will be required to report on progress in six months as well as submit a final report and apply for extramural funding for the next stages of the project at the end of the funding year.
Congratulations to all awardees.