January 22, 2020
Counseling Services offers free spring semester therapy groups
Counseling Services offers free group therapy to all K-State students each semester. Group is the preferred therapy option for students wanting learn coping skills for managing emotions or wanting to better understand themselves and how they relate to and impact others.
Group therapy is the recommended way to address unfulfilling relationships that stem from difficulty saying "no," not opening up to others out of concern for being a burden or being judged, tending to share too much early on in relationships and overwhelming others, feeling alone or isolated, feeling anxious in social situations and more. Group can also be helpful for concerns such as depression, anxiety, adjusting to college, and better understanding yourself and your emotions.
Spring 2020 group offerings:
- Calming the Storm — for students wanting to build skills to more effectively manage emotions and distress.
- Graduate and Nontraditional Students Group — for those graduate or non-traditional students seeking support and to improve their relationships.
- Living with Loss — for students experiencing grief after the loss of someone they were close to.
- Men's Engagement Group — for men who want to better understand themselves and improve their relationships and mood.
- Spectrum — for individuals who identify as LGBTQ; a place to seek support and increase self-acceptance.
- Taming Your Anxious Mind — This group will help students learn skills to manage anxiety. Through teaching and experiential activities as well as support, students can expect to learn more about anxiety, its purpose, and what they can do when they experience it. Practicing skills between sessions will be crucial to making progress in this group.
- Understanding Self and Others — open to all students interested in improving their self-understanding and relationships with others through giving and receiving interpersonal feedback.
For additional information, including group descriptions and schedule, visit k-state.edu/counseling/student/group.html. Groups meet weekly all semester.
To join a therapy group, contact Counseling Services at 785-532-6927, visit our new location at 1105 Sunset Ave., Room 101 — on site student parking available — or go to our portal to sign up with your eID and password — select "My Counseling Services Account" on our website.