March 19, 2019
Last week, the Senate Ways and Means Higher Education Subcommittee made recommendations on the higher education budgets. The subcommittee reported its recommendations to the Senate Ways and Means Committee on Thursday, March 14. The Senate committee approved the recommendations to be included in the appropriations bill which will be considered by the Kansas Senate.
The following recommendations were approved for the fiscal year 2020 appropriations bill:
- Approved governor's recommendation of $8.9 million for all higher education to fully restore fiscal year 2017 allotment.
- Approved governor's recommendation of $4 million for global food systems at K-State for fiscal year 2020.
- Approved an additional $5 million for all higher education for fiscal year 2020.
- Approved $500,000 additional for Comprehensive Grant Program for fiscal year 2020.
- Approved the addition of $1.45 million to the Kansas Forest Service in the K- State Research and Extension budget for wildfire suppression.
- The Senate subcommittee recommended an additional $33 million be considered as the Legislature is drafting the omnibus appropriations bill in May. The appropriation increase for the universities should be used to offset any tuition increases.
This week is the final time for regular committee meetings in the 2019 Kansas Legislature. The first adjournment of the Legislature is scheduled for April 5.
The Office of Government Relations hosts bimonthly Legislative Updates. Future dates include March 22, March 29 and April 12. All updates are brown bag sessions at noon in the K-State Student Union's Cottonwood Room.
For information on the 2019 Kansas Legislature, visit k-state.edu/govrelations.