Excellence in Innovation and Economic Engagement Award
The K-State Excellence in Innovation and Economic Engagement Award recognizes exemplary economic engagement across efforts in talent, innovation and place — plus the intersections of these categories.
- Talent: focus on education and workforce development.
- Innovation: focus on innovation and technology-based economic development.
- Place: focus on social, cultural or community development.
Winners are recognized at the Research Connections event and invited to provide a short presentation about their project. Each winner receives a commemorative plaque, along with a certificate and a $1,000 grant to advance their economic engagement efforts. Finalists and winners are also featured in news stories and promotions about K-State's economic engagement activities.
Application and nomination submission guidelines
- The deadline and submission process for the 2022 award has not yet been announced.
- Applicants/nominees must be K-State faculty, staff, centers, institutes or other university units.
- Application or nomination materials should be a narrative overview of economic engagement work advancing talent, innovation or place — or the intersection of these elements — that is no longer than two pages and answers the majority of the key questions and includes at least one illustration and at least one metric.
In July 2017, Kansas State University was named an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, or APLU, Commission on Innovation, Competitiveness, and Economic Prosperity for the institution's strong commitment to economic engagement. The commission created the Innovation and Economic Prosperity, or IEP, Universities Designation and Awards program to recognize universities that are leaders in spurring and promoting regional economic development.
The need to enhance rewards and recognition for economic engagement activities was a finding of the K-State self-assessment and improvement plan associated with the designation process. As a result, Kansas State University has created an Excellence in Innovation and Economic Engagement Award to recognize faculty and staff, centers, institutes and units engaged in work that advances innovation and the economic prosperity of our region.
- 2020-2021: The Center on Aging
- 2020-2021: Austin Pfannenstiel
- 2019: Kansas State University Applied Aviation Research Center and professional education and outreach at the K-State Polytechnic campus
- 2018: Wheat Genetics Resource Center Industry/University Cooperative Research Center
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or if you have questions about this award opportunity.