Regional community visits
The university for the people of Kansas
As the nation's first operational land-grant university, we care deeply about Kansans and their communities. And there is no better way for Kansas State University to demonstrate our commitment to Kansans than through intentional visits across our state.
During the 2023-2024 academic year, we're visiting nine communities during the course of four visits.
Allen County Community Visit
K-State's next community visit to the Allen County region will be Wednesday, Oct. 4, and Thursday, Oct. 5.
About the initiative
K-State's regional community visits foster relationships and connections across the state, allowing yet another venue for K-State to carry out its land-grant mission for the state of Kansas. View the Regional Community Visit dashboard to learn more about where we've been, and don't miss out on seeing where we're going next!
We are living our land-grant mission, engaging with Kansans through intentional visits across the state. The regional community visit program is designed to:
- Establish a consistent opportunity for engaging with, listening to and learning from Kansans directly within the communities they call home.
- Recognize and reaffirm the strong relationships K-State holds with Kansas communities through our K-State Research and Extension network, industry partnerships, community. engagement/volunteerism, and educational partnerships
- Strengthen and create new relationships that support Kansas citizens.
- Celebrate our alumni who contribute to Kansas communities, as the K-State graduates who power our state's workforce are integral in building a stronger future for Kansas.
- Empower K-State students from your region to share their K-State experience and how they will take what they have learned to make the world a better place.
- Heighten awareness for and access to the educational and experiential opportunities K-State offers to the next-generation of difference-makers.
When K-State visits your community, you can expect:
- A community open forum where you can learn how K-State supports local Kansas communities and share your ideas for how to strengthen the university’s impact specifically in your area.
- Listening/Learning sessions with community leaders designed to facilitate critical dialogue to build solutions for Kansans.
- Visits with local partnerships and initiatives, celebrating the incredible work Kansans do every day.
- A future student information session that lets you hear directly from students about K-State and provides access to our admissions and financial aid experts, helping you take the next step in your education journey whether you’re 18 or 85.
Read news and communications related to the initiative.
- Sept. 27, 2023: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Allen County open forum, other K-State community visit events on Oct. 4 and 5
- Sept. 13, 2023: K-State travels to Allen County region for community visit on Oct. 4 and 5
- Aug. 8, 2023: Community visit spotlight: Southeast Kansas organizations use innovative tools to teach students about nutrition
- Aug. 4, 2023: Community visit spotlight: K-State Research and Extension agents collaborate to meet needs of immigrant populations
- June 22, 2023: K-State selects locations for 2023-2024 community visits, celebrates first year of success across the state
- May 16, 2023: Celebrating the Thomas County community visit with recap, photos
- May 10, 2023: Thomas County K-State community visit happens today, follow along on social media
- May 3, 2023: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Thomas County open forum, other K-State community visit events on May 10
- May 2, 2023: Learn about successful Finney County community visit with recap, photos
- May 1, 2023: Community visit spotlight: Textron Aviation enhances student experiences through workplace engagement
- April 25, 2023: Finney County K-State community visit continues today, follow along on social media
- April 13, 2023: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Finney County open forum, other K-State community visit events on April 24 and 25
- April 4, 2023: K-State provides recap, photos of the successful Crawford County community visit
- March 21, 2023: Community visit spotlight: Topeka's comprehensive approach serves the unsheltered
- March 15, 2023: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Crawford County open forum, other K-State community visit events on March 28
- Feb. 28, 2023: Take a closer look at the successful Sedgwick County community visit with recap, photos
- Feb. 20, 2023: Sedgwick County K-State community visit starts today, follow along on social media
- Feb. 9, 2023: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Sedgwick County open forum, other K-State community visit events on Feb. 20 and 21
- Feb. 7, 2023: Community visit spotlight: K-State Olathe addresses industry needs in the Greater Kansas City region
- Jan. 27, 2023: A recap of the successful Shawnee County community visit
- Jan. 23, 2023: K-State kicks off series of spring community visits as part of presidential initiative
- Jan. 17, 2023: Community visit spotlight: Ellsworth community partners increase awareness of mental health
- Jan. 11, 2023: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Shawnee County open forum, other K-State community visit events on Jan. 23
- Dec. 12, 2022: Celebrating Central Kansas community visit success with recap, photos
- Dec. 5, 2022: Central Kansas regional community visit happens today, follow along on social media
- Nov. 28, 2022: Community visit spotlight: Farmers in Rattlesnake Creek watershed use water conservation methods
- Nov. 28, 2022: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Central Kansas open forum, other K-State community visit events on Dec. 5
- Nov. 9, 2022: Learn about successful Greater Kansas City community visit with recap, photos
- Nov. 1, 2022: Greater Kansas City community visit starts today, follow along on K-State social media
- Oct. 24, 2022: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Greater Kansas City open forum, other K-State community visit events on Nov. 1 and 2
- Oct. 17, 2022: K-State celebrates success of Ford County community visit, prepares for Nov. 2 Kansas City visit
- Sept. 23, 2022: Connected 'Cats student leaders bring K-State experiences to Kansas communities
- Sept. 20, 2022: Media advisory: Media invited to attend Ford County open forum, other K-State community visit events on Sept. 27
- Sept. 12, 2022: Charting our future with Next-Gen K-State strategic planning (Letter from President Linton)
- Sept. 7, 2022: Keep community visit momentum going with communications resources, toolkit
- Aug. 30, 2022: Reminder: K-Staters invited to participate in Sept. 1 Flint Hills regional community visit
- Aug. 22, 2022: Media advisory: Media arrangements for Sept. 1 Flint Hills regional community visit
- Aug. 17, 2022: Launching our statewide regional community visits initiative (Letter from President Linton)
- Aug. 16, 2022: K-State launches statewide community visit initiative; Flint Hills visit will be Sept. 1
- June 29, 2022: A letter from President Richard Linton
- May 5, 2022: Charting our future in a new K-State strategic plan (Letter from President Linton)
- Gregg Hadley, director, Cooperative Extension, co-team leader.
- Tim Steffensmeier, director, Office of Engagement, co-team leader.
- Mirna Bonilla Salazar, program manager, Office of Engagement.
- Jeff Ebeck, K-State graduate student.
- Courtney Hallenbeck, associate director, Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
- Jennifer Tidball, communications director for K-State 105, Division of Communications and Marketing.
- Richard Linton, president, Kansas State University.
- Ashley Bourne, interim vice president, Division of Communications and Marketing.
- Lynn Carlin, special assistant, Office of the Provost.
- Mirta Chavez, executive director, Division of Academic Success and Student Affairs.
- Karen Goos, vice provost, Office of Enrollment Management.
- Mary Tolar, dean, Staley School of Leadership.