1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »Students
  4. »J1
  5. »Working On/Off Campus

International Student and Scholar Services


Working On-Campus:

USCIS allows J-1 students to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. Please note that J-1 students will also need a letter from their sponsor giving permission to work on campus, if the sponsor is not Kansas State University. There is no immigration restriction on the number of hours a student is allowed to work during the summer and other breaks, such as spring break and winter break, however there may be K-State limitations.  Please check with your department personnel specialist regarding your situation.

The hiring department must submit a request to International Student & Scholar Services for an on-campus work permit. The Request for Work Permit will be returned to the hiring department and then forwarded on to Human Resources. 

  • If you are seeking on-campus employment you will be required to apply for a Social Security Number. Only those eligible to work may apply for a Social Security number. This will include J-1's, with permission from the sponsor; and J-2's with permission from USCIS.

In order to apply for a Social Security number you must:

    1. Be enrolled in a full course of study.
    2. Have been offered employment.  The hiring department must complete the "Verification of Employment for Social Security".  This letter must be printed out on departmental letterhead.  The student then must bring that letter to International Student and Scholar Services for completion of the Verification of Employment Eligibility letter. 
    3. Have your SEVIS record registered/validated prior to applying. ISSS will do this as quickly as possible after you have Checked-In with the office.

You will then take the following documents to the Social Security Administration to apply for your number.

    • The Verification of Employment for Social Security letter from your hiring department
    • The Verification of Employment Eligibility letter from ISSS
    • Your passport and I-94 (paper form or electronic print-out)
    • Your DS-2019
    • For J-1 students, if your sponsor is other than Kansas State University, you must bring a copy of a letter from your sponsor stating that you have permission to work

Working Off-Campus:

Most J-1 students studying at the college and university level can seek authorization for academic training to engage in temporary employment to gain practical experience directly related to their field of study. Students who are sponsored by institutions other than K-State should check with that sponsor for information on academic training.

  • If you do not already have a social security number, you will be required to apply for one.  Please ask your ISSS advisor for the procedure.

Be sure to also view the K-State Career Center for more information and resources related to employment!


Quick Links to forms on this page:

Request for Work Permit

Verification of Employment for Social Security

ISSS Office
insert text here