1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »Students

International Student and Scholar Services


As an international student, it is important to understand and be familiar with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations relating to your particular non-immigrant status. It is your personal responsibility to comply with all existing U.S. government regulations and laws as they apply to you. Take time to familiarize yourself with these rules. The following is an overview of basic things you need to know. If you have any further questions or concerns, please email your advisor or come to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and speak with your International Student Advisor. 

Advisors are assigned to you based on the first letter of your Last (Family) Name. 


Stacey Bailey - Advisor for students with last names A and Z.   

Bogi Davies - Advisor for students with last names B-L.  

David Hebing - Advisor for students with last names M-Y.  






What is the difference between an F-1 and a J-1 Visa?

There are two full time student visa categories, F-1 and J-1. The majority of international students come into the U.S. on an F-1 student visa. However, some students have the option to enter on a J-1 student visa. A student may choose or be assigned a visa type based on their eligibility and their long term plans. Definitions for each type are outlined below.

 F-1 (Form I-20)J-1 (Form DS-2019)
EligibilityNo eligibility requirements on sources of funding
  • Must have a substantial portion of funding from a source other than personal. This funding might come from Kansas State University, the home institution or government or a sponsoring organization. Kansas State's definition of substantial is at least 50 percent.


  • Be participating in a written exchange agreement (i.e. exchange student)
Off- Campus Employment
  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Optional Practical Training
  •  Academic Training
DependentsDependents (F-2s) are NOT eligible for employment and cannot enroll in classes to attain a degree or certification. Only recreational classes are allowed.

Dependents (J-2s) are eligible to apply for permission to work in the U.S. through the duration of the J-1's stay. This permission is obtained through an application that is submitted to USCIS. 

J-2s can enroll in classes either part-time or full-time.

Home Residency RequirementNo home residency requirement.

Some Exchange Visitors and their dependents may be subject to what is called the "two-year home residency" requirement.

This "two-year home residency" requirement applies if the Exchange Visitor:

  • Receives funding in whole or in part from the U.S. or their home country government; OR
  • From a country where his/her specific skills are needed, as determined by the "Exchange Visitor Skills List" as determined by the Department of State; OR
  • Is a medical doctor who came to the U.S. for advanced medical education or training

Those who are subject to this requirement may not change their status to another nonimmigrant classification within the U.S. (except to an A or G status). Also, they are NOT eligible to become permanent residents and CANNOT obtain an H-1B or L visa until they have lived in the country of last legal permanent residence for two years after completing their J-1 program or have been approved for a waiver.

Grace PeriodPermitted to remain in the U.S. for a maximum of 60 days after successful completion of program/expiration of I-20 or expiration of any OPT (Optional Practical Training), whichever is later.Permitted to remain in the U.S. for a maximum of 30 days after expiration of DS-2019. This could be the completion of program or of AT (Academic Training).
Program ChangesWith F-1 status it is much easier to change majors or programs of study and go down a level of education (e.g. from PhD to Master's) if necessary.Changing majors/program of study or category is difficult. J's are only allowed to progress in level of education (i.e. from Master's to PhD).
Insurance RequirementsRequired by the Kansas Board of Regents to have health insurance coverage.Required by the Department of State (DoS) and the Kansas Board of Regents.


How do I change/update my address with K-State?

All enrolled students must change their address on iSIS within 10 days of the change of address. This will satisfy the requirements for USCIS. Students who are on Optional Practical Training must notify ISSS by submitting the Post Completion OPT Update Form (insert link).  ISSS will update SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) with the change of address. Your current address must be your place of residence. It cannot be reported as a post office box, departmental address, or address of employment.

Go to www.k-state.edu and click on iSIS. Use your eID and password to login.
– Click on Campus Personal Information
– Then click Addresses

  • Add a new address
    • The country must be "United States"
    • Enter information in "Address 1", "City", "State" and "Postal" fields
    • Click ok
  • The next screen you must choose address type:
    • Choose the box for "HOME"
    • Be sure to click "SAVE"