International Student and Scholar Services
ISSS office is physically closed!
Due to the university's limited operations status while dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, International Student and Scholar Services has instituted several adjustments to our operations to provide ease of access for our services.
Please email your advisor directly. Virtual/video meetings can be scheduled.
**July virtual OPT workshop will be 7/27/2020 at 3:30 pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for login information.
Ruth Newton - Advisor for students with last names A-B and E-L. email@example.com
Bogi Davies - Advisor for students with last names C-D and M-V. firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacey Bailey - Advisor for students with last names W-Z. email@example.com
Maria Beebe firstname.lastname@example.org
Any documents that need to be sent to ISSS can be sent by mail via regular U.S. Postal Service to:
International Student and Scholar Services
Kansas State University
1414 Mid-Campus Drive North
Manhattan, KS 66506 USA
electronically to: email@example.com.
We do not want documents sent via courier, because they would be delivered to the office, and there is no one there. We will be able to pick up the mail from the university twice a week. Unfortunately, this means there will be some delays, but work will continuously be processed.
Effective immediately, we will issue NEW DS-2019 for J-1 Exchange Visitors once U.S. consulates/embassies re-open for routine visa processing. Once U.S. embassies/consulates re-open, requested start dates for DS-2019s must be 90 days into the future. If DS-2019s have already been issued for an incoming exchange visitor, we will update them after the U.S. embassies/consulates re-open for routine visa processing.
- The U.S. State Department announced that in response to worldwide challenges related to the outbreak of COVID-19, the Department of State is suspending routine visa services in most countries worldwide. Embassies and consulates in these countries will cancel all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments as of March 18, 2020. These embassies and consulates will resume routine visa services as soon as possible, but we are unable to provide a specific date at this time. Check the website of the embassy or consulate for its current operating status: usembassy.gov. It has been reported that the first available visa appointments are November 29 in Beijing and October 5 in India.
- U.S. State Department elevated their travel recommendation to the highest level, Level 4: Do Not Travel.
- K-State advisories include:
- All classes until the end of the summer semester are in online formats.
- Limited operations status.
- Visitors should cancel or postpone campus visits during this time.
- We have a hiring freeze.
- All Education Abroad programs for the summer semester have been suspended.
All in-person events are canceled for the remainder of the semester.
- There are lots of COVID-19 resources on the K-State website: https://www.k-state.edu/covid-19/.
- The U.S. Department of State’s site may also be helpful for you. It is related to consular closing and country specific information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/COVID-19-Country-Specific-Information.html
How does moving to an online-only format for summer affect me as an international student?
Enrollment in summer classes is not required unless your initial entry document (I-20 or DS-2019) indicates you are to begin your program in a summer session or the summer session will be your last enrollment at K-State. The fact that summer classes are online will be OK for students in their last semester because this move it due to the COVID-19 pandemic. International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is in communication with the government regarding our campus’ plan. For further question, please reach out to your International Student Advisor. Contact information can be found here: https://www.k-state.edu/isss/students/.
I am an international student and I know there are restrictions for online learning. Should I be concerned?
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is monitoring the situation and has received guidance from the U.S. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). ISSS will be in communication with SEVP about the modifications that K-State is making and your status is not affected. If you have any further questions, please contact ISSS. (Effective Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020)
For J-1 students, online or hybrid courses are fine if you are ALREADY here in J-1 student status and continuing a program.
I am an international student/scholar and I am choosing to leave the U.S. and go to my home country. Is that OK?
If you are a student and choose to leave the U.S., please notify your international student advisor. If you are a scholar and departing the U.S. prior to the end date on your DS-2019, please notify Maria Beebe at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are keeping track of those who depart the United States. Since the future is unclear, it would be advisable to take all your belongings with you.
Will my health insurance cover any COVID-19 costs?
If you have questions as to what is covered, you will have to check directly with the health insurance company.
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at Kansas State University, welcomes you to our website! We hope that you are able to find answers to your questions pertaining to international students, scholars, and dependents whether it is for yourself or a campus department. While updates are usually emailed via our listserv, it is advisable to check our website often for updates to regulatory issues and for new events.
K-State's international community is vibrant and growing! Our office is a key point of contact for the international community. You should feel free to approach a staff member with any concerns you might have during your stay in Manhattan. If we are not the right people to help you, we will connect you with the appropriate people to assist you. Please let us know what you need to make your stay here the best it can be!
Thank you for being a part of the K-State Community!