1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »Students
  4. »F1
  5. »Optional Practical Training

International Student and Scholar Services

Optional Practical Training

OPT workshops will continue in a virtual OPT format via zoom once per month at 3:30pm.

Join Zoom Meeting


Fall 2022 workshop schedule:

August 22, 2022

September 26, 2022

October 24, 2022

November 28, 2022

   *Attendance at an OPT Workshop is mandatory before an advisor will meet with you on an individual basis to answer specific questions about your current situation and OPT.

Please Note:
OPT is adjudicated by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) not by ISSS. There is no guarantee of approval of the OPT application. The OPT application process and maintenance of status while on OPT is the responsibility of the F-1 student. ISSS provides guidance about OPT but is not responsible for delays or denials by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services). 


What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

F-1 regulations define OPT as "temporary employment for practical training directly related to the student's major area of study." If authorized, the employment you obtain must be commensurate with your educational level. This type of practical training can be used prior to the completion of your program of study or upon graduation. The standard OPT allows students to apply for 12 months of employment authorization per progressive educational level.


Am I eligible for OPT?

If you are currently in F-1 status and have, at a minimum, been enrolled as a full-time student for at least one academic year (in either valid F-1 status or another valid nonimmigrant status that permits full-time study), you are eligible for OPT.


What are my options for OPT?

There are two types of standard OPT:

◊ Pre-Completion: OPT can be authorized at the following times:

  • During the student's annual vacation and at other times when school is not in session; can request part-time or full-time
  • While school is in regular session, authorization can be part-time (up to 20 hours per week) or full-time (20 hours or more per week) after completion of all required coursework for the degree while the student is completing a thesis or dissertation.

◊ Post-Completion: OPT can be authorized at the following time:

  • After completion of the course of study; only full-time (20 hours or more per week) can be requested.
  • Students in a master's or doctoral degree program, after submission of all degree requirements; only full-time can be requested


How do I apply?

◊    Attend an OPT Workshop. 
◊    Submit OPT Application Packet to ISSS.
◊    ISSS will then review documents and recommend OPT in SEVIS. 
◊    Receive new I-20 with OPT recommendation and guidance materials from ISSS; Processing time is 7-10 business days.
◊    Submit OPT application materials to the USCIS.

Two options for submitting:
*Mail in application to USCIS Service Center

*File online. Create account from link above.

Applications can be filed up to 90 days before the program end-date and up to 60 days after the program end-date. All OPT applications must be filed within 30 days of the date the OPT recommendation is entered in SEVIS. The application process is NOT complete until USCIS has received your materials


When should I apply for OPT?

If applying for Pre-Completion OPT:

  • You can apply 90 days before the requested OPT start date.

If applying for Post-Completion OPT:

  • You can apply 90 days prior to the program end-date and up to 60 days after the program end-date. The "program end date" is the last date of the semester OR the final date you submit all required documentation to the Graduate School.


When can I start working under OPT?

You are not authorized to begin work until you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS.


How does unemployment affect my OPT and F-1 status?

During the period of OPT, maintaining your status is dependent on employment.  During the initial, 12-month period, you may not be unemployed for more than an aggregate of 90 days from the start date on your EAD.


If I participated in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), will I lose my opportunity for OPT after I graduate?

If you have been authorized (in total) for one year or more of Full-Time Curricular Practical Training, you do not have any remaining OPT eligibility. Full-time CPT that has not met (or surpassed) the one year mark does not affect your eligibility for authorization of OPT. Part-time CPT does not affect your OPT eligibility.


How will my employer know I am authorized to work under OPT?

If your OPT application is approved you will receive an Approval Notice from USCIS. This notice will include an authorization card called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

If your employer has questions or concerns about hiring international students, please refer them to "What Employers Should Know About Hiring International Students." (The document was originally published in 2000 with a grant from NAFSA: Association of International Educators Region XII. Revisions made in 2004, 2010 and 2016.  Editors: Laurie Cox,  University of Wisconsin, Madison; 2010 co-editors: Lay Tuan Tan, California State University Fullerton, Phil Hofer, University of La Verne & Junko  Pierry, Stanford University; 2016 co-editors: Junko Pierry, Stanford University & Laurie Cox, Ball State University. .)


Can I travel outside of the U.S. while on OPT?

Two general guidelines are as follows: 


¨  Once you have completed your program and you have received the official Receipt Notice, you can leave the US and re-enter only to resume or begin work in F-1 status as long as you have

  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 visa (If your F-1 visa will NOT be valid, then you must apply for a new one at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.)
  • I-797 Receipt Notice
  • I-20 with travel signature within the last 6 months.


¨  Once you have completed your program, you have received approval for OPT AND you have your EAD, you can leave the US and re-enter only to resume or begin work in F-1 status as long as you have

  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 visa (If your F-1 visa will NOT be valid, then you must apply for a new one at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.)
  • EAD (Employment Authorization Document)
  • I-20 with travel signature within the last 6 months.
  • Proof of employment


What are my reporting requirements once my OPT has been approved?

You must provide a copy of your EAD to ISSS once you receive the approval notice.  If you are on post-completion OPT, it is your responsibility to notify ISSS within 10 days of any changes to your name, address, employer, relationship of employment and/or interruption in employment. 
NOTE: Even if no changes have occurred, you must update your record with ISSS 6 months and 12 months from the start date listed on the EAD.

To do so, please complete the Optional Practical Training (OPT) Update Form available on the ISSS website or through your SEVP portal. Failure to do so may be seen as a violation of your F-1 status.

If you have any additional questions, please speak with an advisor at ISSS or attend an OPT workshop.  OPT Workshops are held every 2nd and 4th Monday from 3:30 pm- 5pm at the International Student Center.


What is the STEM Extension?


What is the Cap-Gap Extension?

Who is eligible for the Cap-Gap Extension?

The Cap-Gap Extension is available to a student who is on OPT and is a beneficiary of a timely-filed H-1B petition requesting change of status and an employment start date of October 1 of the following fiscal year, the student’s legal status and work authorization will be automatically extended

How do I apply for the Cap-Gap Extension?

To apply for the Cap-Gap extension, you must submit proof that your petition has been filed to ISSS. You will then receive a new I-20 from ISSS indicating your eligibility for the Cap-Gap extension. You should contact ISSS with updated information regarding your petition status. We will then issue the appropriate documentation according to your petition status.

What else should I know about the Cap-Gap Extension?

-If the H-1B petition filed on the student’s behalf is rejected, denied or revocated, these privileges would automatically terminate.
- It is the student’s responsibility to be in contact with your sponsoring employer and ISSS so that you are aware of your petition status and that you have the appropriate documentation to verify your work authorization and status in the U.S.
- Your status continues to be dependent on employment. The 90-day limitation on unemployment continues during the cap-gap extension.
- Do not travel while on the Cap-Gap extension.

*Note: Contact an International Student Advisor at the ISSS for additional information regarding the extension options.


Can I continue to enroll in the United Healthcare insurance while I am on OPT or Academic Training?

Yes, you can continue to enroll in the United Healthcare Insurance.  While you are on OPT or Academic Training, you will pay United Healthcare directly.  To do this, send an email to ISSS with the months you want coverage as well as the information listed below.


First Name:

Last Name:

Student ID:


Date of Birth:

Current Address:

Phone Number:



We will send this information to United Healthcare and they will then send you a request for payment. You coverage will not be active until they receive your payment. 

Quick Links to forms on this page:

OPT Calculator

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Update Form

SEVP Portal Password Reset Request

ISSS Office