Nancy Landon Kassebaum Scholarship
The Kassebaum Scholarship application for the 2020-2021 school year will be available on September 3, 2019.
The Kassebaum Scholarship is named in honor of Nancy Landon Kassebaum Baker, who served the state of Kansas in the U.S. Senate from 1978-1997. To honor her long and respected career in the public sector, the Kassebaum Scholarship seeks to recognize students who aspire to careers in public service. Up to five students receive this award annually.
For the purpose of this award, we define careers in public service as professional work for nonprofit organizations and/or for government at any level. This award seeks to attract outstanding students, regardless of major, whose academic and extracurricular achievements reflect the potential for and desire to make a difference through energetic leadership in the public service arena.
Finalists will be selected by a committee of campus and community leaders and are required to participate in an on-campus interview. The interview and recognition event will include a luncheon and other special activities. Parents and family members are encouraged to attend.
Freshman year award
Recipients have the opportunity to work with our assistant dean for prestigious scholarships to apply for the Truman Scholarship and additional prestigious scholarships.
- ACT score: 26 or above OR SAT score: 1240 or above and
- Have a minimum 3.6 High School GPA weighted or unweighted and
- Demonstrate commitment to public service and
- Have a strong desire to continue work in the public service realm and
- Be a high school senior and
- Be admitted to K-State and
- Attend K-State in fall 2020 and
- Participate in an on-campus interview and recognition event on Monday, January 27, 2020.