NEA Art Works Limited Submission Guidance
NEA provides excellent guidance for the Art Works program. Specific application requirements can be found under the discipline links in the lower right box. A guidelines workshop webinar is available and is strongly recommended before starting a mini-proposal.
The internal review panel will consider projects according to the NEA criteria of Artistic Merit and Artistic Excellence as well as the Art Works Program's specific criteria for projects; i.e., the projects are likely to prove transformative, are distinctive, and have the potential to be shared or emulated. Key project objectives should address: creation, engagement, learning, and livability. Also from the guidance: "Art works by enhancing the value of individuals and communities, by connecting us to one another and to something greater than ourselves, and by empowering creativity and innovation in our society and economy." This information is explained further in the guidance and in the webinar.
Internal submission mini-proposals should include:
- Cover sheet (see: cover sheet [docx])
- One- to three-page project description that names the discipline to which you will be submitting and addresses the following:
- Any specific criteria named under the chosen discipline
- How your project meets the four program objectives (creation, engagement, learning, livability)
- How your project is transformative, distinctive, and has the potential to be shared or emulated
- Note that a reference list can be included, but it does not count against the page limitation
- List of the project team members/collaborators and their roles
- Timeline/programmatic activities list
- One-page draft budget prepared according to the NEA guidelines (found under each discipline)
- A description of how the one-to-one match requirement will be met (This can be included as part of the budget, but there should be an explanation. Any amounts committed by departments/colleges should have email documentation.)
- Full vitas/bios for the PI and co-PIs
- Five to ten images of work samples you intend to include in your submission (with media identification and year created) and how the images demonstrate the NEA overall evaluation criteria of Artistic Merit and Artistic Excellence.
Please combine the above into a single PDF file and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline listed on the Upcoming Limited Submission Opportunities table. Use no smaller than an 11 pt Times New Roman font.