Minor in Economics
Economics is related in important ways to many other disciplines. Because of this, students often find that adding an economics minor is a good way to round out their studies. The economics minor is flexible and can be molded to fit your interests. Students may pursue specialized study in economic theory, money and banking, public finance, labor economics, international trade, economic development, transportation, econometrics, regional economics, industrial organization, and economic systems.
Requirements of the Econ Minor:
- Total of 18 credit hours in economics
- Econ 110 - Principles of Macroecon (3 credit hours) REQUIRED
- Econ 120 - Principles of Microecon (OR AgEcon 120 or 121 - Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness) (3 credit hours) REQUIRED
- Plus four 500-level or higher economics courses (12 credit hours)
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all courses in the minor
- No more than 6 credit hours of transfer credit may be used for a minor
- In general, Agricultural Economics (AgEcon) courses will NOT count as credit towards the economics minor
Declaring an Econ Minor:
- Declare the Econ Minor by filling out the Econ Minor Form and returning it to our department via email or dropping it by our main office, 327 Waters Hall.
- The form can be found online (below) or we have copies available in our main office.
- You can declare the minor when you start taking classes toward the minor, or later on.
- It is strongly recommend that you declare the econ minor in advance of the semester you are going to graduate.
- It is not required to complete all of the courses before you can declare the econ minor.
- You can fill out the courses you have already taken and leave the rest blank. Or if you would like, you can fill out the courses you will be taking in the future.
- You do not need an advisor to do your minor, simply follow the requirements.
- Once you have declared an econ minor, we will notify the Registrar's Office and they will add the econ minor to your KSIS account. You will then be able to track your progress by running 'DARS report' in KSIS. You can find the instructions here.
Instructions for the semester that you intend to graduate with an Econ Minor:
- Apply for graduation in KSIS for the economics minor - we are not able to process your econ minor unless you have done this. You can do this at the same time you apply for graduation for your major. You can find the instructions here.
- This process can only be done AFTER you have gone through the steps for declaring an econ minor.
Please note that you will not automatically receive an econ minor by just completing the course work. You must apply for the econ minor to receive it.
Economics main office hours (Waters 327):
8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00-5:00pm, closed for lunch from 12:00-1:00pm.
For any questions or more information about minoring in economics, please contact:
327 Waters Hall