October 7, 2022
National search for dean of College of Architecture, Planning & Design
Submitted by Office of the Provost
The Office of the Provost announces a national search for the next dean of the College of Architecture, Planning & Design at Kansas State University. The university has engaged the services of Academic Career & Executive Search, an executive search firm, to support the search committee with the process.
The successful candidate will be an exceptionally collaborative, dynamic, approachable strategic leader who can inspire others and lead an innovative interdisciplinary academic community committed to excellence in design, scholarship teaching and environmental stewardship. APDesign is on a trajectory of growth and the new dean will have the skills to build on the momentum and success of the college. Bringing a passion for education and a deep understanding of the design and planning professions, the new dean will work closely with faculty, staff, students, alumni and other constituents to craft a strategic vision and plan that advances the college and the university.
The dean of the College of Architecture, Planning & Design serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the college, providing leadership, strategic vision and direction, and support for the college. In addition, the dean provides university leadership to support and promote the academic mission of the university. Specific responsibilities of the dean include:
- Leading all academic programs in the college.
- Building continued excellence and growth in research and extension/outreach programs.
- Promoting high-quality student experiences.
- Supporting effective academic advising.
- Being actively involved in the recruitment and retention of high caliber, diverse students, faculty and staff to the college, as well as promoting a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Working productively with faculty, staff, department heads, deans, students, university administrators and the broader community on interdisciplinary and collaborative projects.
- Development of collaborative, interdisciplinary programs within the college, across K-State and between K-State and external/industry partners.
- Advancing the college's strategic plan/goals aligned with the university's vision and plans to become a Next-Generation Land-Grant University.
- Providing leadership with a high degree of personal involvement with the fundraising efforts on behalf of the college, working in partnership with the KSU Foundation.
- Maintaining and strengthening strategic relationships with the external professional community, alumni, benefactors and industry.
- Working closely with constituents on issues related to the enhancement of the college and the university.
The full position description, including required qualifications, may be found on the provost's website.
Inquiries, nominations and applications will be treated confidentially. For full consideration, application materials must be received by Nov. 28. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. Please do not email applications, but instead, apply directly at acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyltxdk.
Inquiries, nominations and questions should be sent to Jennifer Muller at Jennifer@ACESrch.com or call 860-740-2600.
We anticipate campus interviews taking place in late February 2023 with an anticipated appointment beginning in the summer.