August 30, 2016
Hoverboard safety on campus
With the new academic year upon us, student safety is of the utmost importance. Follow these tips to safely navigate campus, whether you're walking, riding a bike, skateboarding or hoverboarding:
- Be aware of traffic — both motor vehicles and other pedestrians — while operating a hoverboard, especially when using crosswalks.
- Do not operate a cellphone while operating a hoverboard.
- Use best judgement when using a hoverboard in crowded spaces — between classes, in buildings, etc.
- Do not use a hoverboard in confined spaces or elavators due to potential fire hazards.
- Purchase quality batteries from a reputable source.
- Follow manufacturer guidelines for recharging.
Additional tips from the Consumer Product Safety Commission for purchasing, maintaining and operating a hoverboard:
- Wear protective gear while riding. Treat it like a skateboard.
- Do not charge a hoverboard overnight.
- If you plan to buy a hoverboard, do so from a reputable source.
If you have any questions, please call the Environmental Health and Safety office at 785-532-5856 or send an email to email@example.com.