October 24, 2022
Award-winning K-State MANRRS chapter competes at regional cluster
Student members of the Kansas State University Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences, or MANRRS, chapter competed and received awards at the MANRRS Region IV Cluster, Oct. 14-15, in Allen, Texas.
Region IV chapters of the National Society for MANRRS are in states from Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana.
The students competed across all three undergraduate contests at the conference, and four students brought home regional awards, qualifying them to compete at the national conference in April 2023.
Zelia Wiley, assistant dean and director of the College of Agriculture's Diversity Programs Office and K-State MANRRS advisor; Summer Santillana, Diversity Programs Office coordinator; and Lonnie Hobbs Jr., co-advisor, accompanied the 12-student delegation that represented K-State at the cluster.
Student award winners and participants include:
- Brienna Walker, junior in animal sciences and industry, first place, Interview Contest.
- Selena Gilyot, junior in animal sciences and industry, second place, Elevator Pitch Contest.
- Lailah Bias, freshman in animal sciences and industry, second place, Interview Contest.
- Zenzele Asante, senior in agricultural technology management, third place, Interview Contest.
- Brandon Green, senior in animal sciences and industry, Impromptu Speaking Contest.
- Gillian Mae Villa, freshman in agribusiness/global food systems leadership, Interview Contest.
- LaQuaeja Williams, senior in fashion business, Elevator Pitch Contest.
- Madison Neal, junior in animal sciences and industry, Interview Contest.
- Paris Swinson, senior in psychology, Impromptu Speaking Contest.
- Robert Nichols, junior in animal sciences and industry, Elevator Pitch.
- Raymond Thomas, doctoral candidate in agricultural economics.
- Sydney Bruce, sophomore in animal sciences and industry, Impromptu Speaking Contest.
Congratulations to these students on a worthwhile conference and great networking. We look forward to seeing them represent K-State at the National MANRRS Conference in April 2023.
Thank you to Merck Animal Health for sponsoring our polo shirts. We also thank Ryan Locke, FMC industry relations manager and professional MANRRS member, for speaking at the fall 2022 "Growing our Mindset" Diversity Forum about "Closing the Circle on DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)." If you missed it, you can watch the recording.
The Diversity Programs Office will share more diversity events for the fall semester, including K-State MANRRS Friendsgiving Nov. 16 and the Mars Petcare "Job Talk" on Nov. 30. Join us on social media for more updates: Facebook: K-State AG Diversity Programs Office, Twitter: dpooffice, Instagram: dpo_kstate — or contact Wiley at 785-532-5793 or firstname.lastname@example.org.