September 23, 2022
Collaborate on hunger initiative for state of Kansas on Sept. 28
Submitted by College of Health and Human Sciences
Faculty members across the university and K-State Research and Extension will participate in the Wednesday, Sept. 28, virtual White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition and Health in Hale Library.
The watch party will start at 10 a.m. in the Hemisphere Room — Room 581 — to listen to the Biden administration share a national strategy for steps the government will take and catalyze the public and private sectors to address the intersections between food, hunger, nutrition and health. The national pillars of focus:
- Improve food access and affordability.
- Integrate nutrition and health.
- Empower all consumers to make and have access to healthy choices.
- Support physical activity for all.
- Enhance nutrition and food security research.
Group discussions will last from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free boxed lunches for in-person attendees participating in the group discussions will be provided if they RSVP by midnight on Sept 26.
The discussion groups will answer the following questions as they relate to the pillar(s) that interest the participants most:
- How have hunger or diet-related diseases impacted Kansans, especially your local community?
- What programs are K-State positioned to use or readily develop to address hunger and diet-related diseases?
- What specific actions are you willing to work on to achieve the goals of one or more of the five pillars?
- What are opportunities for the public and private sectors to partner with K-State to achieve the goals of the pillar(s) of interest?
- What steps would you like our state government, K-State and K-State Research and Extension take to address these critical issues?
The whole event lasts from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; however, you may attend as little or as much as your schedule allows, and you may come and go.
Zoom links will be provided for those who would like to participate via distance. Please RSVP online.
For more information, contact: Tandalayo Kidd at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mark Haub at email@example.com.