September 2, 2021
Advisor Forum presents September Charlie Award
The K-State Advisor Forum announces Joann Kouba, associate professor of animal sciences and industry, has been selected for the September Charlie award.
Kouba was nominated for this award because of the incredible time and effort she puts into advising students. She has been called a "quiet gem in the animal sciences and industry department" and a "shining star in the world of faculty advisors."
Here are a few quotes from what her nominators wrote that show the exemplary work that Kouba does:
- "Joann goes the extra mile to get to know her advisees and it really shows."
- "Her students feel comfortable opening up to her about issues going on in their lives and she often is able to connect them to appropriate resources when necessary. She does not hesitate to advocate on behalf of her advisees. Especially students who are new to the university find Joann to be a comforting and friendly face. She makes them feel cared for and as a result, they speak highly of her, even as alumni. She often keeps in touch with her advisees years after they have left K-State."
- "During the recent virtual Orientation and Enrollment, I had the opportunity to overhear Dr. Kouba help incoming freshman select fall courses. I was impressed by the extra effort she took to help them learn how to navigate KSIS, visit with them about their goals, and make sure they had a positive experience. Many of these students won't even be assigned as her advisees, but she was incredibly thorough in her virtual meetings."
- "Not only are her advising skills superb, but because she is passionate about providing students with a quality advising experience, she artfully combines those skills with caring, compassion, empathy, and individualized attention for each and every one of her advisees. I can think of few that would be as worthy as Joann to receive this award. She truly is a leader in faculty advising."
- "As a faculty advisor who has teaching and research also on her plate, I want to make sure to recognize Dr. Kouba for also going above and beyond to be a great advisor to our K-State students."
Advisor Forum Committee thanks Kouba for the work she has done for students and congratulates her on this award.
For more information on the Charlie Award or to learn how to nominate someone, please visit the Recognition page on the Office of Student Success website. Nominations are accepted year-round and can be received from anyone across campus. Once a nomination is received, it remains an active nomination for one full year. One award will be given out at the beginning of each month. The Advisor Forum Committee will make the decision and deliver awards.