October 13, 2020
Gaining administrative efficiencies through a single time and attendance system
The adoption of a single universitywide time and attendance system was identified by the University Core Budget Team as one of the key budget levers to deploy this fiscal year to achieve efficiencies and cost-savings. Beginning in 2013 with a study of human resources processes conducted by Aon Hewitt, various planning groups have consistently identified this as an area for improvement. A working group has been established to advance the initiative this year.
This project will include all campuses, colleges and major units, as well as the auxiliary units reporting to the Division of Student Life. It will build off of the adoption of a single time and attendance system, KRONOS, currently used by the majority of administrative service units, which was completed in 2019. Implementation will occur using a phased approach.
- Remaining service centers — Student Life, ITS, Libraries, Grad School.
- Colleges and Central KSRE units, Global Campus, Polytechnic and Olathe campuses.
- Auxiliaries reporting to Student Life.
The working group will be led by Mandy Cole, assistant vice president for operational strategy, Administrative Support Services, and David Brown, director of operations, Human Capital Services. Other working group members include:
- Jaci Begnoche, business manager, College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Jan Elsasser, deputy CIO, business intelligence, analytics and enterprise applications, Division of Information Technology.
- Gregg Hadley, director for extension, K-State Research and Extension.
- Catherine Harris, budget fiscal office, College of Arts and Sciences.
- Derek Jackson, associate vice president for student life and director of Housing and Dining Services.
- Stephanie McDowell, assistant director, finance, K-State Polytechnic.
- Kayla Schmidt, human capital analyst, College of Health and Human Sciences.
- Cathleen Stotts, budget fiscal coordinator, Carl R. Ice College of Engineering.
The working group is charged with identifying the various time and attendance systems in use at K-State and identifying any needs unable to be met by Kronos. Members will also define the required budget to support the system for universitywide deployment and recommend necessary budget planning to the University Core Budget Team. The group has also been tasked with outlining an implementation plan with an expected universitywide adoption by June 2021.
We thank the working group members for their willingness to undertake this project. Additional communication will be forthcoming as recommendations are developed and planning for the training and implementation begins.
Provost and executive vice president
Vice president for Human Capital Services