March 3, 2020
This week begins the second half of the Kansas legislative session. The Legislature will reconvene March 4 working toward the first adjournment on April 3.
On Wednesday, March 4, K-State Athletics Director Gene Taylor will testify before the Senate Commerce Committee on Senate Bill 474. This legislation would allow Kansas to compensate student-athletes for the use of their name, image and likeness. The legislation would not be effective in Kansas until the attorney general affirms 15 other states enact similar legislation.
The Senate Ways and Means Higher Education Subcommittee will report its recommendations to the Senate Ways and Means Committee on March 4.
The Senate Ways and Means Subcommittee recommendations:
- Consider adding $12.3 million to the block grant to Kansas Board of Regents at Omnibus bill decisions in the Veto Session.
- Consider adding $5 million for the Global Institute for Food, Health and Biosecurity at Omnibus bill decisions in the Veto Session.
- Add $2.5 million to the Comprehensive Grant Program for student need-based aid.
- Add $2.5 million for the Kansas Access Partnership Grant program for need-based aid at the Kansas Board of Regents.
Kansas Legislative Session Review Sessions will be from noon to 1 p.m. in the K-State Student Union on the dates below. These are brown bag lunch sessions open to all campus faculty, staff and students.
- March 20, Union Cottonwood Room.
- March 27, Union Cottonwood Room.
- April 3, Union Cottonwood Room.
- April 10, Union Cottonwood Room.
For information and questions regarding the 2020 Legislature, contact the Office of Government Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-6227