October 29, 2019
K-State extends National First-generation Student Celebration Day to a week of events
The Office of First-generation Students, the First-generation Student Organization and several campus partners are sponsoring a week of activities to join a national celebration for first-generation students the week of Nov. 4-8.
Join us in celebrating our first-generation community. First-generation students are those whose neither parent or guardian earned a four-year college degree and they comprise more than 25% of K-State's undergraduate students.
Please join us in the following events during the week of Nov. 4-8 with the culmination of a "1 Party" on Thursday, Nov. 8, in the K-State Student Union courtyard.
• Nov. 4-8: "Proud to be First" art competition for students. For more information and to participate in the art competition, please fill out the online form. The deadline to submit artwork is 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 4. Artwork will be on display Nov. 7-8 on the first floor of the K-State Student Union.
• Nov. 4, 5, 7 and 8: First-generation student awareness and celebration tabling, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., on the ground floor, K-State Student Union.
• Nov. 4: "Engaging and Supporting First-generation Students," in partnership with K-State First and the Teaching and Learning Center, 1:30-2:30 p.m. in 109 Justin Hall. Presenters: Greg Eiselein, Kiley Moody and Rebeca Paz.
• Nov. 6: KSUnite, 12:30-3:30 p.m., K-State Student Union Ballroom and various locations.
• Nov. 7: NASPA webinar, "Finding the Right Connections for First-generation Students with Impostor Syndrome," 1-2 p.m. in the Center for Student Involvement Conference Room, K-State Student Union. Host: Office of First-generation Students. RSVP for the webinar online.
• Nov. 8: "1 Party," 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Union Courtyard.
Join us for a come-and-go celebration in honor of National First-generation College Student Day, partnered with Union Program Council. We will be providing food, drinks, music, and games for all interested in celebrating the success of first-generation college students, faculty, and staff on K-State's campus.
Thank you to the following departments for your collaboration and generous support: Academic Achievement Center, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education, Department of Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs, Educational Supportive Services, LGBT Resource Center, Housing and Dining Services, K-State First, International Admissions and Recruitment, NACADA, New Student Services, and Powercat Financial.
For more information about the events or about the Office of First-generation Students please contact Rebeca Paz at email@example.com.