August 19, 2016
Week of Welcome offers new, informative activities for students
Submitted by Division of Communications and Marketing
Students are invited to participate in engaging and informative events during Kansas State University's Week of Welcome Aug. 20-27.
The week's official kickoff is the New Student Convocation at 5:45 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 21, at Bramlage Coliseum. University administration and current students will give advice on how new students can succeed and helpful tips about the university.
Join new and returning students at a pep rally following convocation at 7 p.m. at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Enjoy a free dinner and the chance to learn many of the university's traditions.
K-State Health-A-Palooza, Week of Welcome's newest event, will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23, in Bosco Plaza. Learn about all of K-State's helpful resources and services in one place. Participating include Lafene Health Center; Recreational Services; Counseling Services; Center for Advocacy, Response and Education, or CARE; the Family Center; Powercat Financial Counseling; LGBT Resource Center; Housing and Dining Services; K-State Police Department; ministries; Sexuality And Gender Alliance and more.
Additional Week of Welcome events include:
Saturday, Aug. 20
- Walk Your Schedule will be from noon to 4 p.m. starting on the ground floor of the K-State Student Union in front of the computer store.
- Pups and Popsicles will be from 1-3 p.m. in the Leadership Studies Amphitheater.
- A pancake feed will start at 10 p.m. at Memorial Stadium. Enjoy a night of fun, games and pancakes.
Sunday, Aug. 21
- College of Business Administration's Success 101 sessions will be offered at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Incoming students will learn how to start their academic career on the path to success, and learn important information for the first day of class. Snacks will be provided.
- Walk Your Class Schedule will be from noon to 4 p.m. in the K-State Student Union.
- Engineering New Student Welcome will be from 2-4 p.m. starting in Rathbone Hall's atrium. Come get acquainted with different offices and services offered in the college to help you succeed. Refreshments and free T-shirts will be provided.
- The College of Architecture, Planning & Design Ambassadors invite students admitted to the first-year environmental design program to meet classmates and second- through fifth-year APDesign students at 2:30 p.m. in 63 Seaton Hall.
- New Student Convocation will take place at 5:45 p.m. at Bramlage Coliseum.
- A kickoff pep rally will be from 7-8:30 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.
- Join K-State Proud for a social from 8:30-9:30 p.m. in the east parking lot at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Kick off the school year with music, entertainment and food.
Monday, Aug. 22
- Student assistance booths will be set up on campus from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 23
- K-State Health-A-Palooza will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Bosco Plaza.
- Hypnotist Matt Grisham will perform from 7-8 p.m. in the K-State Student Union's Ballroom.
- The Guide to Personal Success kickoff will be from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in the K-State Student Union's Flint Hills Room.
Wednesday, Aug. 24
- This year's Career Center Cookout will take place from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the lawn of the Berney Family Welcome Center. Enjoy a free lunch and meet your Career Center advisors. Visit the welcome center to activate/update your Career Center account and receive a free T-shirt.
- Pet Away Stress from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Waters Quad, sponsored by Counseling Services and Purple Power Animal Welfare Society.
- The K-State Veterans Fall Reception will be from 3-4 p.m. in the K-State Student Union's West Ballroom. Food and beverages will be provided.
- Hale Monopoly will be from 7-9 p.m. at Hale Library. Learn how to navigate Hale Library as you engage with various stations throughout the building. Conquer all four stations and gain entrance to prizes and games in Hale Library's Great Room. The first 150 students to successfully complete the game will receive a free T-shirt.
Thursday, Aug. 25
- The College of Education Week of Welcome will be from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Bluemont Hall courtyard. Enjoy popcorn and Pepsi and learn more about the college and how to get involved.
- The Career Center will host the Part-Time Opportunities Fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the K-State Student Union's Ballroom. Bring your K-State student ID and visit with campus representatives and community employers hiring for part-time jobs, internship positions and volunteer opportunities. Snacks and drinks will be provided for students.
- The College of Arts & Sciences will host the Student Research Opportunities Fair from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Coffman Commons south of Hale Library. New and current students are invited to learn about opportunities for funded student research and travel. Cookies and lemonade will be provided.
- Enjoy Call Hall ice cream during the Week of Welcome Ice Cream Social from 1-3 p.m. at the Holen Courtyard in front of Bluemont Hall.
- Learn about the more than 475 student organizations on campus at the Union Expo and Activities Carnival from 6-8 p.m. at the K-State Student Union.
- Wildcat Welcome Day will be from from 6-8 p.m. at the K-State Alumni Center. All new and transfer students will receive Call Hall ice cream, a free gift from the Alumni Association and an opportunity to win prizes, including a $250 textbook scholarship.
- Bring a chair or blanket and watch "The Sandlot" from 8:45-10:30 p.m. in Bosco Student Plaza.
Friday, Aug. 26
- A make-your-own coffee bar will be available at the College of Human Ecology's Coffee Cafe from 9-11 a.m. in Justin Hall's Hoffman Lounge.
- The Engineering Student Organization Fair will be from 1-4 p.m. in the Engineering Hall's atrium
- Union Program Council After Hours presents Illusionist REZA at 7:30 p.m. in McCain Auditorium. Pick up free tickets starting Tuesday, Aug. 23, at the McCain box office. Office hours are 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday. Limit two tickets per person.
Saturday, Aug. 27
- Help welcome back all K-State students at the third annual Wildcats Run for Wellness 5K at 8 a.m. at the Chester E. Peters Recreation Center. Prizes will be awarded to the top finishers. Register early to receive a T-shirt.
A full list of Week of Welcome events can be found online.