Biological Safety

Several groups oversee various aspects of biological safety on campus. These include IACUC, IBC, IRE, and others which may be found on the University Research Compliance Office website. Depending on the nature of your work you may need to register with the appropriate entity. All research and teaching activities involving microbiological agents, recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules or toxins of biological origin must be registered with the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) prior to project initiation. The IBC is responsible for ensuring that research conducted at KSU is in compliance with applicable regulations and guidelines, including the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules (NIH Guidelines), the Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), 5th Edition, and the Federal Select Agents Regulations. These form the basis for campus biosafety policies and procedures.