1. K-State home
  2. »University Operations
  3. »Environmental Health and Safety
  4. »Environmental

Environmental Health and Safety

Environmental Health and Safety
108 Edwards Hall
1810 Kerr Dr.
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-1981 fax

Hazardous Materials Shipping & Receiving

Anyone shipping or receiving hazardous materials must have training appropriate to the nature of their work activity related to those materials.  Individuals who have not received training should not accept shipments or sign for receipt of hazardous materials.  Prior to shipping potentially regulated materials obtain assistance to ensure appropriate packaging and forms are correctly prepared. 

In addition to the requirements for hazardous materials, there are import/export controls related to goods, technology, radio frequency devices, information and other requirements related to travel.  Some of these requirements and related guidance are available at: 

Research Compliance:  Export Controls Compliance Program

Related forms: Export Controls Forms

Faculty, staff and student residents should review requirements specific to the nature of the shipment or activity with international entities. 

Safety and Security

For the safety and security of the university community, do not sign for any packages unless: 

  • you ordered or know who ordered the material
  • you are certain that the package should be received at your location 

If receiving hazardous materials shipments, do not sign for packages unless:

  • you are familiar with the procedures to report, secure the area, and/or respond to a damaged package and related spill/release
  • you understand the hazard symbols on the packages 
  • you have appropriate training
  • you understand what is listed on the manifest or bill of lading and it matches package labels

 Report any unsafe or suspicious package:

  • Damaged, leaking, or products that emit a smell or produce unfamiliar noises (contact KSU PD or EHS immediately)
  • Packages that remain unclaimed
  • Unmarked packages (packages that have no shipper or receiver identified and have no other identifiable markings)
  • Shipments of live animals that are not received directly and promptly by appropriate personnel
  • Shipments of biological materials that are not claimed promptly
  • Shipments addressed to personnel that are not part of the campus community 

Ground Shipments

Department of Transportation (DOT) - When hazardous materials are transported or offered for transport/commerce, the materials must be properly classified, described, packaged, marked, labeled and in appropriate condition for shipment. Persons that directly affect hazardous materials transportation safety must have appropriate training. This includes individuals who:

  • load, unload, or handle hazardous materials;
  • test, recondition, repair, modify, mark, or otherwise represent containers or packages that qualify for transporting hazardous materials;
  • prepare or offer hazardous materials for transportation;
  • design, manufacture, or test packaging used to transport hazardous materials; or
  • are otherwise responsible for the safety of transporting hazardous materials.

Packages must conform to DOT shipping requirements and manifests must define the materials in accordance with applicable regulations.

The hazardous materials regulations are applicable to the transportation of hazardous materials in commerce and their offering to:

  • Interstate, intrastate, and foreign carriers by rail car, aircraft, motor vehicle and vessel.
  • The representation that a hazardous material is present in a package, container, rail car, aircraft, motor vehicle or vessel.
  • The manufacture, fabrication, marking, maintenance, reconditioning, repairing or testing of a package or container which is represented, marked, certified or sold for use in the transportation of hazardous materials (49 CFR 171.1(a))

The level of training required for the receipt, shipment, or transportation of hazardous materials may be specific to the nature of the responsibilities of the individual and hazardous material being transported and may not need to include a comprehensive training of all hazardous materials shipping requirements.  Depending on their role, an individual should at minimum understand the hazards presented by the material, how to safely move the material (and have access to related equipment as applicable) and understand how to respond to a spill of that material (e.g., secure the area and contact EHS).  Training is available at DOT Outreach & Training (PHMSA registration required) or contact EHS for guidance on training options.

Hazardous material can be shipped through KSU Central Mail Services.  All hazardous material packages must be accompanied by a Central Mail Services Information Sheet and SDS sheet. All information on the information sheet must be filled out correctly or the package will be returned to the department for correct information. Please see the Haz-Mat Shipping for more information on their requirements.  

If departments are directly coordinating transportation of potentially hazardous materials or dangerous goods (e.g., infectious materials, animal/human derived products/samples, chemicals, toxins, radioactive isotopes) through a commerical carrier/transporter, the transportor must hold appropriate credentials. Some materials require the transporter to hold a special permit. It is important to plan well in advance and clearly communicate the category of material intended for transport. Contact EHS for guidance.  When importing materials, these criteria apply during ground (and air) transport within the U.S. for regulated materials.

On-Campus Transportation of Hazardous Materials

No University employees shall:

  • Transport hazardous materials in personal vehicles to locations on or off campus.
  • Transport hazardous materials in any vehicle to other campuses or universities without training.

 All campus deliveries of hazardous materials should be conducted using University owned vehicles or third-party transporters who are permitted for the transport of hazardous materials.  Contact EHS for campus relocation of hazardous materials.

Air Shipments

International Air Transportation Association (IATA) defines requirements for air transport of chemicals or other materials considered dangerous goods. Dangerous goods are materials that can pose a danger to aircraft or persons on-board the aircraft and can include, but are not limited to: 
  • Infectious substances
  • Hazardous chemicals
  • Products containing hazardous materials/components
  • Lithium batteries
  • Explosives

Dangerous goods require specific packaging and there are limits on the types and quantities of materials that can be transported by aircraft. Additionally, there are specific requirements for transport of live animals.

Those that ship via air should have training in IATA requirements. Ensure that dangerous goods shipped are not prohibited from air transportation by the carrier and as defined in IATA regulations manuals. DOT regulations also apply to the shipment. 

Contact KSU Central Mail Services to ship hazardous materials by air. All hazardous material packages must be accompanied by a Central Mail Services Information Sheet and SDS sheet. All information on the information sheet must be filled out correctly or the package will be returned to the department for correct information. Please see the Haz-Mat Shipping for more information on their requirements. 

International (Import/Export)

The rules and regulations regarding imports/exports are complex. Please contact Environmental Health and Safety and the University Research Compliance Office with any questions or for guidance during planning. 

Importing materials

The shipment of biological specimens, animals and animal-derived materials and chemicals may require special permits. 

Transportation/shipment brokers may require that the University provide the broker with Power of Attorney (POA) to allow them to act for the university in completing certifications and documents required by Customs at ports of entry.  POA designations should be signed and authorized by an officier of the university or their specific designee.  The POA must have a set timeline filled out and identify the specific project/shipment covered by the POA.  

Center for Disease Control (CDC)

The CDC regulates the importation of biological materials that could cause illness in humans. These regulated biological materials include pathogenic bacteria or viruses, toxins from biological sources, blood or tissues capable of containing pathogens transmissible to humans and certain animals, and insects that may harbor disease-causing organisms. Please review the CDC Import Permit Program, Do I need an import permit?, and consult with your biosafety personnel to determine if a permit is required. Please contact Dr. Greg Peterson, gjpeters@ksu.edu, for more information on CDC permit requirements. 

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) 

The USDA, regulates the import and transport of animal, plant and related materials that could potentially harm U.S. agricultural products. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), an agency of the USDA, may require permits for the import, export and/or transport of animals, animal products, plants, plant products animal/plant pathogens, soil samples, insects or introduction of genetically modified organisms into the environment. Please review APHIS Permits and Certifications, and Institutional Biosafety Committee(IBC) Guidance.  Please contact Dr. Greg Peterson, gjpeters@ksu.edu, for more information on USDA permit requirements. 

Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

The FDA requires a permit or registration before importation for foods (except for some meat, poultry and egg products), human and veterinary drugs, vaccines and other biological products, medical devices intended for human use,  radiation-emitting electronic products, cosmetics, dietary supplements and tobacco products. Please review the FDA Import Program for more information.


Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS)

The FWS permits are required for shipments containing fish or wildlife. Please review FWS Import and Export and What You Need to Know About a U.S. FWS Import/Export License - U.S. Entities for more information. 


Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)

When importing chemicals from another country, researchers must comply with the TSCA Requirements for Importing Chemicals. This includes a certification that the chemical substances, mixtures or articles that contain these either do or do not comply with TSCA or are specifically excluded. The certification must must be signed and  filed electronically in the Automated Commercial Environment or in writing with the  U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) director of the port of entry by the importer or an authorized agent of the importer. The carrier, supplier or customs broker may supply a form for the certification. These procedures are for small quantities of chemical substances used in non-commercial scientific experimentation or analysis, or as research chemicals only. Please contact EHS for assistance.

It is important to complete related forms in advance of a shipment or materials will be delayed in customs.  Request the location of the US port of entry from the shipper or transporter.  A power of attorney may be requested by the transporter.  This may only be executed in coordination with KSU general counsel and EHS and must be limited to the specific shipment. The department should maintain records of all certification forms and shipping paperwork. 

Exporting materials

Please contact the University Research Compliance Office before shipping chemicals to other countries. There may be export controls related to the chemical.

Countries may require an import permit and/or fees for the chemicals/materials being export. Please allow sufficient time for the exporter and the recipient to obtain the proper permits.

Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)  

When exporting chemicals to another country, researchers must comply with the TSCA Requirements for Exporting Chemicals. Notification is required for chemicals on the Chemicals Subject to TSCA Section 12(b) Export Notification Requirements. This notice must be postmarked within seven days after accepting a definite contractual obligation to export or an equivalent intra-company agreement to export the regulated chemical or on the date of the export, whichever is earlier. Please contact EHS for assistance. 

Other Regulations

Controlled Substances

Only individuals with a controlled substances registration or their specifically named designee may receive controlled substances (CS).  Transfer of controlled substances requires appropriate documentation and the recipient must have be an approved registration. Contacting the regional DEA office prior to transfer between registrants is recommended. To transfer schedule II substances, the receiving registrant must issue an official order form (DEA Form 222) or an electronic equivalent to the registrant transferring the drugs. The transfer of schedules III-V controlled substances must be documented in writing to show the drug name, dosage form, strength, quantity, and date transferred. The document must include the names, addresses, and DEA registration numbers of the parties involved in the transfer of the controlled substances.  Registrants are also responsible for selecting common or contract carriers that provide adequate security against in-transit loss or theft. 

Use Form 222 when ordering Schedule II controlled substances.  The vendor should ship within 60 days of the date on the form. Invoices should contain:

  • registrant name and registration number
  • CS name, concentration, dosage form (as applicable), and quantity;
  • Signature of authorized personnel that received the CS
  • Date of the pick/receipt

Orders should be received at the address listed on the registrant "license". Report shipments that are not received and return form 222 to the supplier per requirements.  

Additional requirements may apply.  Guidance is available from the Drug Enforce Administration, Diversion Control Division

Radiological Materials

Only authorized users may order radiological materials.  All radioactive material will be received by EHS at Edwards Hall.  Packages must be addressed:

Radiation Safety Officer
Department of Environmental Health and Safety
Kansas State University
108 Edwards Hall
1810 Kerr Drive
Manhattan, Kansas 66506-4809

ATTN:  _____________ (include name of authorized Principal Investigator)

EHS delivers packages to the authorized laboratory on campus.  Shipments or transfer of radioactive material must be approved in advance by  the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and are coordinated by the RSO. Transporting equipment with a radiological source (e.g. moisture probes) can only be done by employees in a University owned vehicle. Review all requirements in the Radiation Safety Manual